Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Racechip GTS

30K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  Colin Lambert 
#1 ·
Planning to increase some hp and torque...anybody using something like that on kodi? Googled from german forum and got positive and also negative feedback. From 0-100km/h is acceptable but from 100 to 120 or 130km/h is still a bit slow.Did a throttle tuning with Racechip XLR which is god damn good investment. Please share your thoughts...or experience

#4 ·
Fuzzz said:
Old and Grumpy said:
If you want that sort of performance why didn't you buy a BMW?
I want to take most...hmmm not most but more from my kodiaq...sometimes more HP and torque is necessary. I'm not old and grumpy😎
I think that's why he bought a 1.4Tsi :p

#5 ·
Should've gotten a Tiguan Allspace BiTDI or a Kodiaq RS then. Off the shelf chip tuning isn't as good as getting a custom tune from a well-regarded tuner in your area.

#6 ·
ChrisL said:
Fuzzz said:
Old and Grumpy said:
If you want that sort of performance why didn't you buy a BMW?
I want to take most...hmmm not most but more from my kodiaq...sometimes more HP and torque is necessary. I'm not old and grumpy😎
You're dead right there. It's got all the oomph I want or need. :p

#7 ·
Old and Grumpy said:
ChrisL said:
Fuzzz said:
You're dead right there. It's got all the oomph I want or need. :p
We old farts are (were in my case) quite happy with our 1.4
I do agree on my VERY early adopted kodiaq the Racechip XLR was a brilliant mod. Completely got rid of throttle lag and gave off the line rocket like take off if wanted/needed.
I am now more than happy with my second 1.5 DSG Karoq, which is as fast to 40 as the Electric Niro!! So suck that up EV fans!

#8 ·
Zach said:
Should've gotten a Tiguan Allspace BiTDI or a Kodiaq RS then. Off the shelf chip tuning isn't as good as getting a custom tune from a well-regarded tuner in your area.
Dont want mess woth original software...ok sent a letter to racechip woth couple of questions...we'll see...when I bought my Kodiaq there was only one option no RS or Sport...couple of RS owners complain bout noisy drivetrain howl like an old bus...sad

#9 ·
Most decent tuners will copy and save original files .
The off the shelf boxes are good though for a basic car and can be retuned for about 100 including leads etc for a new vehicle .
I'm looking into myself and can't decide either .

There's a tdi tuning centre just around the corner and also a few tuners close .
The tuning is cheaper than the boxes but then again I'm not going to keep it too long so the box might be a better investment for me

#10 ·
Anybody using any tuning box (including XLR Throttle box) or retune by a tuning shop should inform their insurance company as many will refuse to cover if any 'tweeks' are fitted.

Not telling insurance company may well result in them not paying out in the event of a claim.
Which, worst case scenario (you kill a breadwinner) could result in loss of home and 10 years at Her Majesty's pleasure.

#11 ·
Fuzzz said:
Zach said:
Dont want mess woth original software...ok sent a letter to racechip woth couple of questions...we'll see...when I bought my Kodiaq there was only one option no RS or Sport...couple of RS owners complain bout noisy drivetrain howl like an old bus...sad
Dealer can detect your car using a 'chip' tune, and that includes racechip. You could try using a JB4 piggyback device, but if the dealer digs down enough they'll still detect it.

#12 ·
A lot of tuners say there tunes are undetectable by dealers etc ! What a load of bollocks 😂 even the most basic software can pull parameters and they will exceed standard .

#13 ·
Bear in mind if you have a DSG the torque is limited on the TCU and possibly elsewhere. Even if you release 500NM the software will limit what you put to the road. I'll be remapping when my warranty is up which will include the adjustment of torque limits too. Understand completely why you want to release more power. Power is useful, 190 diesel nice and torquey for real world driving. Folk miss the point, it is not about being a sports car. MPG will improve with a box or remap.

#14 ·
Also, remap detectable whatever. Box I believe is also detectable if looked for. Throws errors due to measured figures outside limits expected by software. Boost, fuelling etc.

#15 ·
Pink72 said:
Also, remap detectable whatever. Box I believe is also detectable if looked for. Throws errors due to measured figures outside limits expected by software. Boost, fuelling etc.
For service you can remove box and cables and thats it... we can tune our cars and don't have to deal with insurance. Even tv commercials are made ...we don't say tuning we say "engine software optimisation" and it's legal to do it but if you have a car with warranty that's the other case if anything happens you are on your own...

#16 ·
There's another (very bad) Skoda forum out there where the chipping / modding of vehicles is promoted as being the best thing sinced sliced bread.

To me, it doesn't seem to be a coincidence that those doing the promoting are forum sponsors and those who dare to swim against the tide get banned. Hey, maybe I'm just a cynic?

Now, if you modify a product to perform outside of it's original operating range then the manufacturer has ZERO obligation to "prove" that your modifications caused the failure. If you're stupid enough to take it all the way to court, it's as simple as their barrister standing up and stating "it wasn't designed for that" and it's an open and shut case.

The manufacturer of any product will never be held accountable for the durability of something operating outside of the range of what it was designed for.

It still holds true they can't deny warranty coverage on something unrelated. If you have a chipped ECM and your radio fails then they still need to cover your radio under warranty, seeing as it's a completely unrelated system.

If they denied liability, they would, in that situation, have to prove that your ECM flash killed the radio.

But, when you modify the engine to add power, the burden of proof is no longer on them for ANY powertrain failure because it wasn't designed to handle the higher loads and stresses than the factory stock XXXhp provides.

Legally making it operate outside of factory stock specified range and/or power levels is "proof" enough that the manufacturer does not have to honour your warranty.

Moral of this (overly long) story? Don't chip or mod it while it's under warranty.

#18 ·
I know it's a risky business...but well... haven't purhcased it yet...on briskoda forum lots of skoda users are using tuning boxes and nothing happened it doesn't make an racedriver after installing it, my driving habbits stays same...but thanks for discussing.

#19 ·
SkodaVRS1963 said:
There's another (very bad) Skoda forum out there where the chipping / modding of vehicles is promoted as being the best thing sinced sliced bread.

To me, it doesn't seem to be a coincidence that those doing the promoting are forum sponsors and those who dare to swim against the tide get banned. Hey, maybe I'm just a cynic?

Now, if you modify a product to perform outside of it's original operating range then the manufacturer has ZERO obligation to "prove" that your modifications caused the failure. If you're stupid enough to take it all the way to court, it's as simple as their barrister standing up and stating "it wasn't designed for that" and it's an open and shut case.

The manufacturer of any product will never be held accountable for the durability of something operating outside of the range of what it was designed for.

It still holds true they can't deny warranty coverage on something unrelated. If you have a chipped ECM and your radio fails then they still need to cover your radio under warranty, seeing as it's a completely unrelated system.

If they denied liability, they would, in that situation, have to prove that your ECM flash killed the radio.

But, when you modify the engine to add power, the burden of proof is no longer on them for ANY powertrain failure because it wasn't designed to handle the higher loads and stresses than the factory stock XXXhp provides.

Legally making it operate outside of factory stock specified range and/or power levels is "proof" enough that the manufacturer does not have to honour your warranty.

Moral of this (overly long) story? Don't chip or mod it while it's under warranty.
I absolutely agree with everything you said, modify anything and you run the risk of not being covered under warranty. This includes bodywork as well as electrical and mechanical.

The only point I would make is from experience is that Skoda dealers will do anything not to repair under warranty even when it's so blatantly evident it's a fault ( mines had the battery replaced, camera recalibration and door protectors replaced / repaired under warranty) so I hate to think about the resistance you will get if they know you have changed something from standard.

Using your example it could be argued that the radio fault is due to changes to the wiring loom assuming you have used an external racechip ECU. It could also be argued that systems are so integrated that changes in the ECU could cascade down to other linked components.

One person on hear was having significant issues getting his car repaired under warranty (think it was blind spot assist ) due to him having an aftermarket tow bar fitted. The premise being is that a non-Skoda technician had changed the electrical systems.

If you do it then you take the risk, you also must tell your insurance company as if you don't then you may find your insurance is void, therefore no payout or prosecution.

#20 ·
FoxtrotAlpha said:
SkodaVRS1963 said:

I absolutely agree with everything you said, modify anything and you run the risk of not being covered under warranty. This includes bodywork as well as electrical and mechanical.

The only point I would make is from experience is that Skoda dealers will do anything not to repair under warranty even when it's so blatantly evident it's a fault ( mines had the battery replaced, camera recalibration and door protectors replaced / repaired under warranty) so I hate to think about the resistance you will get if they know you have changed something from standard.

Using your example it could be argued that the radio fault is due to changes to the wiring loom assuming you have used an external racechip ECU. It could also be argued that systems are so integrated that changes in the ECU could cascade down to other linked components.

One person on hear was having significant issues getting his car repaired under warranty (think it was blind spot assist ) due to him having an aftermarket tow bar fitted. The premise being is that a non-Skoda technician had changed the electrical systems.

If you do it then you take the risk, you also must tell your insurance company as if you don't then you may find your insurance is void, therefore no payout or prosecution.
All sensible advice - I had my Audi A5 3.0TDi for just over 8 years and remapped using Superchips and also changed the exhaust once it was out of warranty at 3 years old. It does then limit the number of insurers who will cover you, but overall I didn't find it overly expensive (+£11 for the first year iirc).

At around 7 years old, Audi also covered both of the window regulators under warranty as it was a known fault where water was getting in through the window seals and corroding the window winding mechanism - my car lasted way longer than most, but if they hadn't agreed to fix it when 4 years out of warranty then it would have cost around £1200. The point is that as mentioned above, it's up to the manufacturer to prove that any modifications you've made are related to whatever the warranty claim is. Me remapping the ECU and fitting a non-standard exhaust could not possibly be related to the window mechanism corroding, especially as it was a known fault!

#21 ·
I had a Audi s4 years ago highly modified everything declared , the policy would only replace standard parts in the event of a claim . It only cost about 120 a year extra unfortunately I had to make a claim .

#22 ·
Also I'm sure some of the companies provide engine damage warranties but not sure how that works and I'm sure manufacturers will still deny drivechain issues

#26 ·
In other words anything could invalidate warranty if they really wanted to be picky

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.