Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

VAG admit problem with 1.5 EVO engine

24K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Old and Grumpy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Arkaig,
No problem.
Yes, absolutely sure.
The 1.4 TSi engine is no more. The replacement for all VAG vehicles, including Kodiaq & Karoq is the 1.5 EVO engine.
See post here.........https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2239#p22695 'PhilM' is having BIG problems.

Reporting posts is intended for offensive material, commercial entries masquerading as genuine forum members etc.
A question on the thread or a P.M. will do. :D

#3 ·
I've had my 1.5 TSI manual Skoda Karoq for a week. I love the design/drive except for the fact I keep 'stalling' at junctions and kangaroo hopping until I get up to about 20mph. Initial I though it was my driving position, but I am glad I found this forum.

I frequently have to pull away from very busy junctions. Several times now I have gone to pull away quickly, but the revs drop off and the car stops moving. Scary when an HGV is coming at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is DANGEROUS and need fixing before I get killed. I now need to massively over rev the engine and slip the clutch to ensure I avoid the dead zone - this time of year this leads to the traction control kicking on as I screech off the line with a rapidly wearing out clutch.

Lots of reports on VW & Seat forums about the 1.5 TSI & the same issue.

#4 ·
It does seem to be the manual that is far more badly affected. Although my DSG Karoq was doing it, it seems to have 'cured' itself somehow.
Complain to Skoda U.K. and your dealer.
Although they know about it, the more pressure is put on them (hopefully) the quicker it will get resolved.

#6 ·
Just had this issue with my 2 day old Kodiaq

A lot of honks or horns behind me and about 20 seconds later it sprung back into life again

I'll log it with my dealer, but I've got a DSG box so definitely not just manual transmission

Start stop wasn't active at the time and I did think the engine felt wrong, was more vibration than normal, I wander if it's related to the ACT tech?

#7 ·
I had something similar tonight with my DSG. Crawling through a very narrow gap (old village hall car park gate) and went to pull away and nothing at all. I could put the throttle all the way to the floor and no power at all. I put it into neutral and back to D and still nothing. Had to stop and start to get it going again. The engine was cold but had pulled out of the parking space and driven about 50 yards with no issue and then this.

#8 ·
scfnet said:
I had something similar tonight with my DSG. Crawling through a very narrow gap (old village hall car park gate) and went to pull away and nothing at all. I could put the throttle all the way to the floor and no power at all. I put it into neutral and back to D and still nothing. Had to stop and start to get it going again. The engine was cold but had pulled out of the parking space and driven about 50 yards with no issue and then this.
Exactly the same as me... no revs or anything, hadn't thought but it was fairly cold (driven mabye 500yd)

#10 ·
I suggest you ALL inform your dealer (so they can log it with SUK)
Then ring AND email* SUK Customer Services. I also suggest that rather than discussing it with the person that answers the 'phone, demand, politely, that you speak to a Customer Services MANAGER. * Then when you have his/her name email them.
I understand that any of you who have only owned your cars for a short time are entitled, should you so wish, to return the car and demand a full refund as they are obviously not fit for purpose. Check with Trading Standards first to make sure.
VAG are fully aware of this problem and are trying to fix it.........It depends if you are prepared to put up with such a dangerous fault. Personally I would NOT!

#11 ·
Quick update.

Took my car to my local Skoda dealer & they were excellent - great customer service :)

They advised me the VW 1.5 TSI throttle/kangaroo issue is expecting a Q2 fix.

They also adjusted my auto parking brake which was releasing too late making the biting point hard to judge/unpredictable.

This has made it easier to balance clutch and accelerator when the car is cold to avoid kangaroo hopping & easier to pull away quickly without it bogging down with too low revs.

Just need that fix in Q2.

#12 ·
Jezza3432 said:
Quick update.

Took my car to my local Skoda dealer & they were excellent - great customer service :)

They advised me the VW 1.5 TSI throttle/kangaroo issue is expecting a Q2 fix.

They also adjusted my auto parking brake which was releasing too late making the biting point hard to judge/unpredictable.

This has made it easier to balance clutch and accelerator when the car is cold to avoid kangaroo hopping & easier to pull away quickly without it bogging down with too low revs.

Just need that fix in Q2.
Did they give you more explanation about that?

#13 ·
When I picked up my second Karoq a couple of weeks ago I asked about the 1.5 'fix'. I was told that VAG had issued it and almost immediately withdrew it as being not fit for purpose. So we w a i t! & w a i t!
So saying, I have been lucky, neither of my Karoqs with DSG have suffered from the Kangaroo syndrome. It appears to affect the manuals more than the DSGs.

#15 ·
Unfortunately, he didn't pay for it! :lol:
Couldn't do without my pan roof any longer!! Not now the sun is out!
It's an Edition so it has quite a few more toys than the SE L and abetter colour...Petrol Blue. Also 4WD which I really don't need, but 2WD Editions are no longer available in Blighty. about 3MPG worse than the 2WD SE L
It wasn't new. It had been the Service Managers car, but only 2 months old and 1300 miles on the odo. save me nearly £2k on list

#16 ·
Disgusting customer care!

1.5 Kodiaq has got a confirmed engine fault which causes me to "bunny hop" when cold and stall due to irregular revving. Confirmed and replicated by Skoda technicians.

Skoda deem the car safe but my car insurance have stated if I were to crash and it's linked to the fault they wouldn't pay out. I informed Skoda UK and my case handler who used to work in insurance confirmed my insurance was correct in their stance.

Skoda UK have taken the hire car from me and left me with a car I cannot drive due to insurance. Current estimate on the vehicle repair is minimum of 8 weeks. Issues have been present since I bought it brand new in January. Faults were known by VAG since 2017.

I have processed a rejection of the car with VW finance 15 days ago and so far they have not lifted a finger. Skoda complaint regional manager has told me that VW finance are lying to me as they must make a decision on the finance and not the garage who sold me a vehicle.

Car still faulty, insurance null and void, no hire car and no return of finance payments. Absolutely disgusting service!!!

#17 ·
That certainly is disgusting service. Why have they removed the courtesy car?
I would INSIST they give it back.
Frankly, if I was treated like that I would start legal action.
I would have thought under the sale of goods act your dealer should give you a loan car. Unfortunately the stupid laws in this country put the onus on the retailer for goods that are faulty from the manufacturer. I think this is most unfair. It is not your dealers fault, but Skoda's. However, the law states that the responsibility for sorting out this unbelievable mess rests with your dealer.
Good luck! Do keep us up to speed.

#18 ·
I have today started legal action. VW finance who I pay the PCP to said it's garage who need to accept back and the garage say vice versa.

In the middle is Skoda Uk who make the call on hire cars etc and their stance is the car is safe and my insurance are wrong&#x1f937-2642;

Dealer has given me a demonstration car but that's literally for a couple days.

Trading standards advised me under 2015 consumer act that the garage and finance company are liable so it's full steam ahead now.

Car dangerous and illegal to drive and left immobile it's shocking.

#19 ·
Well done,
I'm glad I got to S of Gs act right.
Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

#20 ·
VW Finance have accepted a rejection of the vehicle their response was "Defective from Manufacturing".

I have received my deposit back and have raised a complaint with the financial Ombudsman to gain back all my payments under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

My friend who is a Seat Master Tech was correct that software updates would not fix the fault hence the reason they cannot repair it.

I completed a subject access request and have an email stating they would accept the finance rejection on the 28th of May but was only informed on the 10th July ( so they could get further payments the slags). I was then informed on the 12th July that British Car Auctions would inspect and collect the vehicle, when I called them they had no record and this took a further 15 days to arrange ( again to cause another payment the slags).

In summary if you have a fault skip past the dealership, Manufacturer and go straight to finance company and request a rejection of the Finance on grounds the vehicle is confirmed faulty and has no estimated repair time.

I will update on how I get on with the Ombudsman and will gladly PM people my old VRN to help you win your fights &#x1f44c-1f3fb;

Skoda Kodiaq, 68 Plate, bought brand new, 1.5 TSI, SE 7 seater. The dealership who did nothing to help and washed their hands of me is Westover Gp Salisbury.

#21 ·
Westover? Really? Well what a surprise! NOT.
Any of my friends who have bought any make of car from Westover group has had problems, either with sales or service. Including me.
In case you live in Salisbury, Poole, Bournemouth or Christchurch, here is a list of makes they sell, You can make your own decision to risk it or go elsewhere.
Jag/Landover.
Nissan
Toyota
Hyundai.
Dacia
Skoda
Kia
Abarth
Renault
F.I.A.T.
Lexus
And I think, Mitsubishi. The only one I have dealt with that I would recommend.
You can buy the following without getting involved with them
Honda
Mazda
Ford
Westover generally, but not every branch, is a classic example of a large group who don't give a stuff once they have got your ££.
Whereas every family owned dealership I have dealt with have always given me a first class experience in both sales and service.

#22 ·
Hot off the press!!!!

SEAT have today received a recall notice stating that "There is a danger to customers due to loss of power".

This is for the 1.5TSI engine which covers all VAG vehicles.

Got a copy from a very close friend who is a SEAT Master Tech and his dealership are contacting customers as we speak. Vehicles need to be recalled and a full engine recap conducted to see if it fixes the fault.

#23 ·
Paul Bailey said:
Hot off the press!!!!

SEAT have today received a recall notice stating that "There is a danger to customers due to loss of power".

This is for the 1.5TSI engine which covers all VAG vehicles.

Got a copy from a very close friend who is a SEAT Master Tech and his dealership are contacting customers as we speak. Vehicles need to be recalled and a full engine recap conducted to see if it fixes the fault.
Thank God I got one of the last 1.4TSIs.

#24 ·
Is this the same recall (R/2019/303) that was released on 5th September 2019 relating to low engine torque or is it a new one?

#25 ·
This must be the long awaited 'FIX' that they have ben promising for 18 months. The first one didn't work.
HOWEVER...... the 'Kangaroo engine was only fitted for a short period in'18. It affected mainly manuals but my '18 Karoq DSG suffered very mildly from it and it eventually cured itself. My '19 Karoq DSG is faultless.

#26 ·
I refer the honourable member to my previous answer. https://www.kodiaqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2252

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.