Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

RECOMMENDED EFFORT FREE POLISH

12K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  LordJellybelly 
#1 ·
There`s a lot of chat here re bodywork and chrome care. I use local handwashers and polish perhaps every couple of months or so.......I do a very low mileage. My question is with all the products out there irrespective of cost what is the most recommended simple to use most effective effort free polish ?

#2 ·
Polish and effort free ? I use poorboys black hole as polish and dodo juice purple haze as sealant but still an effort by hand . Both come off relatively easy

#3 ·
Whilst I like to keep my car clean and tidy I'm past the point in my life where I'd spend a day cleaning and polishing it.
My new car came with a nice metallic paint finish, so for me, keeping it protected is the key rather than constant polishing, so to that end about 3/4 years ago I looked for something longer lasting that didn't need constant reapplication and didn't cost silly money.
In amongst all the so called ceramic products and others making daft claims to being the Messiah of polishes, I came across Nu Finish, which is a sealant rather than a polish. It has to be applied twice within a 30 day period and then needs no further application for a year.
I haven't yet used it on my Kodiaq, but I will do soon as the weather improves (I hope), but I used it on my previous blue/grey metallic Hyundai. I also applied a detailer afterwards (which I think was probably overkill). For approx two years after that I did nothing other than wash the car and it looked as good as new when I exchanged it for the Kodiaq.
Application and removal was easy, just try to avoid getting it on plastic trim as it leaves a white mark, which wasn't a problem on the Hyundai as the plastic trim was inferior to the stuff on the Kodiaq and needed regular covering with Back To Black.

As far as I know it's only available on line. I got mine from Ebay for £16 at the time and if/when it runs out I will replace it with the same.

#4 ·
Old man I think we have a common point of view on the topic and I thank you for your post. I had the Skoda whatever it`s called super polish add on as a deal clincher so I suppose I`m one step ahead but the spare the elbow greece of your product sounds appealing.

Having dug deeper tis site has some interesting info https://www.best-auto-detailing-tips.com/nu-finish.html

#5 ·
I know you specifically asked about polish but in terms of low effort for high gain, once you have prepared and polished your car I recommend Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax for ease of application. It only needs spreading thinly and buffs off easily. Plus it doesn't matter if you get it on trim. I have not used the equivalent polish but it's probably good as well. I tend to use a DA machine with the Meguiars professional polishes to prepare the paint prior to wax. There are plenty of other alternatives out there. It will be interesting to read what others think.

#6 ·
Ljb, I agree with the views and sentiments expressed in the link you posted.
Like any product, we'll all have different opinions about it, dependant on what our needs and wants are.
As on any forum, if you asked the question "what's the best product for?", you would get inundated with what individuals think is the best, and in the end your brain turns to mush.
Again, like any forum or using TripAdvisor as a yardstick, pick the best from the dross and end up with what suits your particular circumstances.
I certainly don't claim that Nu Finish is the best, and I'm certain there's better out there, but pound for pound it suits my circumstances, and again, I'm certain it's as good or better than many other, more expensive products.
Happy polishing :D

#7 ·
I'm a bit of a sucker for Autoglym products. Now they've brought out the Polar wash, and Polar seal to go with the Polar blast, it's a nice and easy way to keep the car clean. A simple 10 minute soak with the blast, rinse, then apply the wash, clean with the mitt, rinse. Then apply the seal every other wash( once a month). Rinse again then dry with a towel. And not a bucket in-sight!! On top of that I wax once a year with Autoglym UHD wax and top that up with a aqua wax application at six months.

#8 ·
Given the OP's request for the best product "irrespective of price" then I would suggest having a look at GTechniq's Crystal Serum Ultra:
https://gtechniq.com/
There's a link half way down to find your nearest detailer that will apply it as it's only approved for professional applications. It does however come with a 9 year guarantee and if you add the EVOv4 and wheel treatment (removal, full application and refit) then it would be in the region of £1000 for a Kodiaq. From what I've heard, it's amazing and will truly last, but it is a sealant and not a polish...

#10 ·
Waterfree , wouldn't touch them I just can't see how dragging dirt around the car can not cause scratches, I know plenty of reviews say they don't but it's a NO from me .

There's a few ceramic coatings I've used in foam gun with pretty decent results . Obviously needs to be clean and wax free

#11 ·
Waterless car washing? Call me old fashioned, but that's akin to farting in a lift - it's just wrong on so many levels!!
As I get older I'm all for things that will make a job easier, but: when I decide to wash my car, I drag the hosepipe from the back to the front of the house. I get out the power washer and connect it up, then I fill a bucket with soapy water.
I then have two cars to wash, both of which are white, so by the time I've finished and put all of the gear away, I feel like a cripple with snow blindness ;)
However, I wouldn't swap my method for the water free products, my brain tells me that it's just wrong.
Something I would never use years ago was a pressure washer as I felt that cars then weren't built to withstand them. In recent years though I've taken to using one as it's a quicker method of soaking the car and getting most of the thicker, grittier dirt off before wading in with the sponge and soapy water. It also uses less water that soaking with a hose pipe.
On a slightly different tack, has anyone used the do it yourself car cleaning pressure washing machines in France? Excellent bits of kit and capable of getting all the muck off your car, unlike similar ones I have tried in this country which don't seem to measure up.
Some of our Eastern European car washing cousins make a decent fist of car cleaning if they can be persuaded to use clean water for each wash, but overall I don't think there's a better method of car cleaning than a do it yourself on your driveway with a hose pipe, bucket and sponge, where you can get all the dirt out of the nooks and crannies that other methods miss.

My apologies for straying off piste somewhat, but I have the time cos I'm currently relaxing on a sun kissed balcony overlooking the sea in a foreign land. No car cleaning her :D :D

#12 ·
old man said:
overall I don't think there's a better method of car cleaning than a do it yourself on your driveway with a hose pipe, bucket and sponge
If you want to protect the paintwork more you could try 2 buckets (one for rinsing and one for soaping) and a lambswool mitt instead of a sponge. Google "2 bucket car wash method".

#13 ·
You have to be so careful using sponge or lambswool not to transfer any dirt BACK onto the car.
I have used IMO car wash for years. they now have 'flippy-flappy' 'towelling' strips that slap the car and another set to dry it after being blow dried. They are 'drag through' chain car wash. so you just sit in the car.
The water is filtered and so copious that there is no way you will get any dirt transferred back onto the car.
I have had 6 cars using the Imo washes and have never had any scratching.
I am too old :lol: and well off enough to not bother washing cars myself, so for me IMO is the Mutts Nuts!
Their prices go from £3.99 up to about £10 depending on e=what you want and include under chassis wash, very useful after the roads have been heavily salted in the winter.

https://www.imocarwash.com/

#15 ·
I use 'Wax it Wet', wash car, spray lightly when still wet and a quick (artificial) leather off! Simple and effective so encourages regular cleaning. My 'old' cars usually sell within a few hours for a good price as people say they're immaculate so it must be working.

#16 ·
PhilBate said:
I use 'Wax it Wet', wash car, spray lightly when still wet and a quick (artificial) leather off! Simple and effective so encourages regular cleaning. My 'old' cars usually sell within a few hours for a good price as people say they're immaculate so it must be working.
I do much the same, but that is not "waterless" such as "Greased Lightening" products. Has anyone used them, and with what results? I don't see how wiping a spray wax over a dirty car cannot leave scratches.

#17 ·
Following on does anybody use a cordless polisher? Such a tool would take much of the effort out of the job

#18 ·
Old and Grumpy said:
PhilBate said:
I do much the same, but that is not "waterless" such as "Greased Lightening" products. Has anyone used them, and with what results? I don't see how wiping a spray wax over a dirty car cannot leave scratches.
I can understand your doubts re waterless wash/wax products. I did a one day car polishing course with Chemical Guys in Los Angeles some years ago when I was there with work and took the opportunity to buy some. They have some excellent videos on their YouTube channel on how to use it. https://www.chemicalguys.com/ecosmart-waterless-car-wash-and-wax-concentrate/ecosmart-concentrated.html

Personally I only use it for washes when I'm away from home. Eg visiting my folks in Scotland in the winter where I can clean the salt and stuff off when I get there. Just need a spray bottle and a couple of micro fibres.
I did the same when trading in my Audi A7 for the Kodiak last month. After a fair drive from Wales to the Hampshire dealers I cleaned it in the services near the dealers. Seemed to work as they offered decent money for the Audi.

For regular washing at home I'd stick with the tried and trusted method you currently like. 👍

#20 ·
You need to get the paint right before a sealant but after that a soft wash is fine for a good time after

#21 ·
C2atb said:
You need to get the paint right before a sealant but after that a soft wash is fine for a good time after
Assuming you don't need any paint correction then after a good soft wash, use something like GTechniq Panel Wipe before applying any sealant and it will adhere much better and therefore last better and give more protection. If you're doing it yourself then do 1 panel at a time, panel wipe and then sealant. On my last car I used Liquid Elements ECO Shield ceramic coating which is very easy to apply and then buff back off and lasted around 2 years (or more) on my Land Rover. I can give you a 10% discount code that still works if anyone is interested.

Didn't bother this time as the dealer offered to do the Autoglym Lifeshine as a deal sweetener which saved me the bother. Might do it myself after 12-18 month depending on how well the Lifeshine lasts.

#23 ·
Thanks for all your comments.
Autoglym Lifeshine was I assume applied by dealer. It was as Scratch 113 above noted; a deal sweetener. What should I expect from that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.