Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

1.5TSI Problem

14K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Colin Lambert 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Fortunately, it sounds not too serious and also fixable. If it were internal component failure of some sort I'd have been really worried if I owned one.

#3 ·
Skoda Dealers and Skoda UK are fully aware of this problem and the factory is working on a solution to the problem. Let's hope they do it more quickly than the new mechanism that they have been ' working on' for nearly a year for the rubbish door guards.

For my money it will simply be a rejig of the ECU that controls the mixture when cold.or those of us of sufficient age, it feels like pushing the choke in too early on a carburettor engined car with a manual choke. (my 1.5 DSG Karoq has suffered from it- but not very badly, Once you get used to it you don't notice, well I don't anyway!)

I find that if it does misbehave I just blip the throttle which puts more petrol in and the problem goes away. This backs up my theory about the ECU.
I would not describe my car as 'kangarooing' more like slight hesitation.
I gather from some comments on the Karoq Forum that it may affect MANUAL 1.5s more than DSGs

#4 ·
I had my 3 week old Kodiaq 1.5TSi DSG (520 miles on the clock) in to my local dealership yesterday because of a similar problem (see below) and was told it was a known problem which is being worked on but won't be resolved until Q2 this year. They advise their computer showed no fault on the car, yet there clearly is a fault.

My problem is that on several occasions after stopping in traffic, at lights or at a junction, the car simply won't move. it hasn't stalled as it is still ticking over, but the revs refuse to increase when pressing the accelerator whilst in Drive (or Sports). They will increase in Neutral or Park but then won't increase when I put it back into Drive. My only option is to restart the car, usually several times, before I can set off again. Not good in nose to tail traffic or when stuck halfway out of a junction. The problem is worse when the engine is cold, but has happened twice when warm.

What gets me is that a car manufacturer can sell a car (a £30K pus one at that) with a known and potentially extremely dangerous defect, and then expect us to wait months for it to be right, always assuming they can actually rectify the fault.

Does anyone know if these are grounds for rejecting the car?

#5 ·
PhilM said:
I had my 3 week old Kodiaq 1.5TSi DSG (520 miles on the clock) in to my local dealership yesterday because of a similar problem (see below) and was told it was a known problem which is being worked on but won't be resolved until Q2 this year. They advise their computer showed no fault on the car, yet there clearly is a fault.

My problem is that on several occasions after stopping in traffic, at lights or at a junction, the car simply won't move. it hasn't stalled as it is still ticking over, but the revs refuse to increase when pressing the accelerator whilst in Drive (or Sports). They will increase in Neutral or Park but then won't increase when I put it back into Drive. My only option is to restart the car, usually several times, before I can set off again. Not good in nose to tail traffic or when stuck halfway out of a junction. The problem is worse when the engine is cold, but has happened twice when warm.

What gets me is that a car manufacturer can sell a car (a £30K pus one at that) with a known and potentially extremely dangerous defect, and then expect us to wait months for it to be right, always assuming they can actually rectify the fault.

Does anyone know if these are grounds for rejecting the car?
Check out the successful rejection by "LittleOwl" here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/446820-15-sel-first-gear-issue/?page=44

#6 ·
Phil,
If you are happy to loose the car then I would go back to dealer without delay and reject it. Demand a full refund!
Luckily my Karoq is nowhere near as bad as yours appears to be. Had it been It would be straight back to the dealer and it would, sadly, end my 10 year relationship with Skoda.
It is completely unacceptable!
Reading the Briskoda article mentioned above, it would appear that the fault is (as mentioned on the Karoq forum) more common and worse, on manual g/boxes.

#7 ·
Thanks guys. I need to give the matter some serious thought. That said, it has behaved itself 100% since I got it back from the garage yesterday despite them not doing anything to it. I'm going to see how it behaves over the next few days before I make any decisions.

#8 ·
Just a thought, could a sluggish battery have caused my problem (see above)? I only ask because when my the problem last occurred, the start-stop wouldn't work because the battery was "not showing a full charge".

#12 ·
Well my car has been into Skoda today for the same fault - no power, usually after changed gear from Reverse to Drive (auto) with foot pressed all the way on accelerator and no revs registering.

Brand new kodiaq, collected early Jan. I've been keeping a log of when it happens and it is always when cold. We drive it a few days every week and its happened about 8 times, luckily all times except one have been in the drive. Just turn ignition off then on again and its fine.

I thought (in my non existent car knowledge!) that it might be related to the heated seats as it seems to happen when its been really cold, and all heaters and heated seats are on. I've been told today it wont make any difference.

Luckily the fault showed when they plugged it in...and yes, they spoke to skoda who are working on a (hopefully) speedy fix. Rather more important than the dodgy door flaps I think!

If I wasn't so in love with this brilliant car Id be throwing my toys out the pram. They seem to think itll be a few weeks. Mmm, I'm not so sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Kodiaq, blue (love it), Edition, all area camera, heated seats, heated windscreen (Surrey)

#13 ·
Did they mention anything about Eco mode? Mines booked in for a look in a couple of weeks (if it has done it more than once I would have insisted on sooner). I got a call back saying that they have seen this in Eco and there is a loss of power when cold. I hadn't played with modes yet so I don't think it is relevant to me but might be for others.

Hopefully there is a fix soon

Any recommendations for ODB scanners that don't cost the earth so I can see if anything is logged.

#14 ·
The dealer looked at it but couldn't find anything in the logs. They did say there was a TPI and it instructed them no to do any work until the fix was out. However I'm not sure if the TPI was for this issue or a laggy throttle which was also mentioned.

#15 ·
1.5TSi Solution is rumoured to be coming out Q2.
Don't hold you breath!
I am thanking my lucky stars that having a 1.5 Karoq DSG I have escaped all these problems apart from a very small 'kangaroo', in the early days . He seems to have gone away now!
The 1.4 DSG I had on my Kodiaq was faultless.
I just don't understand how one of the biggest car manufacturers on the planet can make such a mega cock-up and even worse, take so long to correct it.
If my car behaved like some of those mentioned here, It would be returned as NFFP and that would be the end of my long and erstwhile happy relationship with Skoda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.