Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Automatic parking brake feature - some thoughts

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  DrMatt 
#1 ·
Some thoughts about the automatic parking brake feature which might be useful for anyone just getting their bear...

For the first two weeks I had the car, this feature totally annoyed me and I turned if off (which, luckily, remains off indefinitely, even after many new drives). It annoyed me, because every other car I ever had started moving forward slowly when I released the brake pedal, but with this feature engaged, the car just sits there until you tap the gas pedal.

However, during a couple of hours of driving yesterday (both city and highway), I decided to give it another go. Once I started getting used to it, I actually found it to be quite convenient, it just takes unlearning some old habits.

The idea of the about the automatic parking brake feature is that as soon as you come to a complete stop (and I mean, immediately), the parking brake automatically engages. This takes some getting used to, but it means that every time you stop (e.g., at a red light), you can immediately relax both feet on the floor instead of holding the brake pedal the whole time until the light turns green. This is convenient and comfortable.

The only time I find that this feature interferes is during parking maneuvers. When making small movements, I want to be able to take my foot off the pedal so that the car can inch forward in idle. When you're forced to tap the gas pedal to get moving each time, it's too easy to give a bit too much gas and the result is jerking forward and stopping hard. So, for these situations, it might be a good idea to temporarily disable the feature.

JR

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Don't forget with autohold on, if you just lightly touch the brakes you can stop and if your release the brake the car will creep, it's only a harder push that engages the autohold. Takes a bit of practice.

#3 ·
The only time I find that this feature interferes is during parking maneuvers. When making small movements, I want to be able to take my foot off the pedal so that the car can inch forward in idle. When you're forced to tap the gas pedal to get moving each time, it's too easy to give a bit too much gas and the result is jerking forward and stopping hard. So, for these situations, it might be a good idea to temporarily disable the feature.
When I pull up outside of my drive and then put the DSG in reverse, there's always an annoying delay before the car actually begins to move backwards.
After reading the above comment, I thought that disabling the auto parking brake might eliminate this delay but unfortunately it didn't :(
I assume all DSG cars are the same ?

#4 ·
When I pull up outside of my drive and then put the DSG in reverse, there's always an annoying delay before the car actually begins to move backwards.
Agree. This one-second delay is a nuisance, and it happens whether the auto parking brake is on or off. Would also be happy to hear if there is a solution.

JR

#6 ·
Was it when you was on a hill by any chance ?

#7 ·
Auto hold doesn't use the EPB (electronic parking brake), and instead maintains the hydraulic pressure in the brake lines after you let go of the brake. If the EPB came on from using auto hold alone, you were stopped for too long (~10 mins) or the seatbelt unclipped/driver door opened/ignition off.

#8 ·
If you want to use the brake pedal to manoeuvre you can press the autohold button near the gearstick to turn it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.