Engine oil level low warning light

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Basherdrummer

Engine oil level low warning light

Post by Basherdrummer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:14 pm

A couple of weeks ago I had ‘low engine oil level’ message flash up. I stopped at the next services and checked and my oil level was virtually off the dipstick!
I filled it and everything is fine but the dealer told me the next day that it’s normal, and that Skoda advise adding a litre of oil every (I can’t quite remember the figure) x amount of miles - it’d done around 17000 at the time - is that normal???
'Edition' 2.0 TDI 150 PS 4x4 7 seat in Quartz Grey.
Sirius, Canton, heated front screen, rear view camera.

MrTrilby

Re: Engine oil level low warning light

Post by MrTrilby » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:59 pm

There is a difference between “normal” and “within acceptable range”. My Kodiaq doesn’t use a drop of oil between services, but I think Skoda/VW suggest an acceptable usage of oil that would use quite comfortably use more than 1l of oil in 17k miles.

As I’m sure the dealer mentioned, leaving it 17k miles before checking the level of oil in your car is a really bad idea.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:02 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:59 pm

As I’m sure the dealer mentioned, leaving it 17k miles before checking the level of oil in your car is a really bad idea.
My thoughts exactly.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Basherdrummer

Post by Basherdrummer » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:34 pm

I’ll be honest and say I didn’t check it as I simply didn't expect a brand new car to use any oil - and certainly not to that extent.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:04 am

Mine used about 1/4 litre in 6000 miles (distance between services.)
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Basherdrummer

Post by Basherdrummer » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:43 am

I’ve learnt a lesson from it, I’ll always check before a long journey and I carry oil now.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:50 pm

That sounds a good plan. I just check once a month or when I wash the car, whichever comes first. Along with tyre pressure and coolant level. Mainly because checking before making a long journey would mean checking every other day.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:59 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:50 pm
That sounds a good plan. I just check once a month or when I wash the car, whichever comes first. Along with tyre pressure and coolant level. Mainly because checking before making a long journey would mean checking every other day.
Plus brake fluid level, battery condition indicator, lights,(especially brake lights), indicators, washer fluid, tyre tread and look for any damage to tyres.
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, Manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb. :)

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:13 pm

Can you realistically check washer fluid level? There doesn’t appear to be a dipstick on mine and the bottle itself is buried away somewhere.

I’ve not bothered checking the lights on the Kodiaq on the basis that they’re LED and the computer will let me know if one goes faulty, same as it alerts me about the trailer lights.

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:51 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:13 pm
Can you realistically check washer fluid level? There doesn’t appear to be a dipstick on mine and the bottle itself is buried away somewhere.
No need for a dipstick. You can top it up every week or so, then you know there is plenty in there.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”