Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Engine oil level low warning light

26K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  scratch113 
#1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I had 'low engine oil level' message flash up. I stopped at the next services and checked and my oil level was virtually off the dipstick!
I filled it and everything is fine but the dealer told me the next day that it's normal, and that Skoda advise adding a litre of oil every (I can't quite remember the figure) x amount of miles - it'd done around 17000 at the time - is that normal???

#2 ·
There is a difference between "normal" and "within acceptable range". My Kodiaq doesn't use a drop of oil between services, but I think Skoda/VW suggest an acceptable usage of oil that would use quite comfortably use more than 1l of oil in 17k miles.

As I'm sure the dealer mentioned, leaving it 17k miles before checking the level of oil in your car is a really bad idea.

#7 ·
That sounds a good plan. I just check once a month or when I wash the car, whichever comes first. Along with tyre pressure and coolant level. Mainly because checking before making a long journey would mean checking every other day.

#8 ·
MrTrilby said:
That sounds a good plan. I just check once a month or when I wash the car, whichever comes first. Along with tyre pressure and coolant level. Mainly because checking before making a long journey would mean checking every other day.
Plus brake fluid level, battery condition indicator, lights,(especially brake lights), indicators, washer fluid, tyre tread and look for any damage to tyres.

#9 ·
Can you realistically check washer fluid level? There doesn't appear to be a dipstick on mine and the bottle itself is buried away somewhere.

I've not bothered checking the lights on the Kodiaq on the basis that they're LED and the computer will let me know if one goes faulty, same as it alerts me about the trailer lights.

#11 ·
Basherdrummer said:
I'll be honest and say I didn't check it as I simply didn't expect a brand new car to use any oil - and certainly not to that extent.
My 2019 Skoda is 11 months old with about 24,000 km / 15,000 mi on the odometer. It was serviced by a Skoda garage at 15,000 km, four months ago (in late August). The low oil warning light lit up this week, first time ever. It did not happen in the first 7 months I owned the car, until the first service.

I've only ever owned Japanese cars for the past 30 years, and I've never seen this light before! Like Basherdrummer, I am very surprised that a new car would need oil! I poured in half a liter of oil a couple days ago and the light has remained off since.

Might this indicate a problem / leak somewhere?

JR

G
#12 ·
J-R said:
Basherdrummer said:
I'll be honest and say I didn't check it as I simply didn't expect a brand new car to use any oil - and certainly not to that extent.
My 2019 Skoda is 11 months old with about 24,000 km / 15,000 mi on the odometer. It was serviced by a Skoda garage at 15,000 km, four months ago (in late August). The low oil warning light lit up this week, first time ever. It did not happen in the first 7 months I owned the car, until the first service.

I've only ever owned Japanese cars for the past 30 years, and I've never seen this light before! Like Basherdrummer, I am very surprised that a new car would need oil! I poured in half a liter of oil a couple days ago and the light has remained off since.

Might this indicate a problem / leak somewhere?

JR
Was the oil level correct after the service 4 months ago, and has it been correct each time you have checked it since?
If so a sudden loss of oil is concerning, but if you haven't checked the oil level it could just been down to sloppy service and not filled to the correct level.

#13 ·
Kenny R said:
Was the oil level correct after the service 4 months ago, and has it been correct each time you have checked it since?
If so a sudden loss of oil is concerning, but if you haven't checked the oil level it could just been down to sloppy service and not filled to the correct level.
I have not checked the oil level since the last service, so I have no way of knowing how much it was filled at the service, but if it were low, it would have been indicating low since then, no? So, if all of a sudden 4 months later, does that indicate a problem/leak?

(I know you guys suggest checking oil frequently, but I've never bothered doing it until my cars are a few years old - both because I've never had a new car lose oil and because these new cars alert you anyway if the oil goes low.)

Thanks,
JR

#14 ·
J-R said:
Kenny R said:
I have not checked the oil level since the last service, so I have no way of knowing how much it was filled at the service, but if it were low, it would have been indicating low since then, no? So, if all of a sudden 4 months later, does that indicate a problem/leak?

(I know you guys suggest checking oil frequently, but I've never bothered doing it until my cars are a few years old - both because I've never had a new car lose oil and because these new cars alert you anyway if the oil goes low.)

Thanks,
JR
So in 9,000 Kms and 4 months you haven't checked the dipstick? How about all the other things that my dear old dad taught me to check REGULARLY. Tyre pressures, lights, washer fluid, brake fluid etc. etc. Simple checks that will reveal any potential problem well before your dash lights up like Blackpool! Is everyone becoming totally reliant upon vehicle technology and ignoring a sensible approach to vehicle maintenance that takes only a few minutes each week? It occurs to me that there may be people who spend a great deal of their hard earned cash on a car, then spend hours polishing and valeting their car, but who begrudge minutes spent on routine maintenance.

#15 ·
Hi Guys
I know this thread is old
Brought a Kodiaq SE L petrol engine in 2019
First time buying a Skoda considering VW group own them so didn't hesitate.
I have had low oil light twice, once after around 9000 miles, and again now at 19000 miles
As others have said, on checking dip stick only oil on the very tip.
Unfortunately due to no oil on the dipstick my son topped it up a litre at a time, checking level after adding each ltr
Took just under 4 ltrs .

I'm 60 and driven a variety of different cars over the years, now in my youth most cars I brought were used,
and as others have pointed out it's wise to check all fuild levels, double so on used cars.

But when you spend near 40k on a brand new vehicle you don't expect fuild warning lights, with the exception of washer fuild.! Never seen any oil on the floor so am assuming it's being burnt.

Reading through different forums it's obvious that this is a common thing with the warning lights, but not on all.

#16 ·
From the PDF manual, some oil consumption is normal. 4 litres over 10k miles sounds near the upper range of what is acceptable, but according to Skoda is still within tolerance.

Just be thankful you don't have an early LR Disco Sport - that suffered from diesel particulate contamination of the oil system meaning some cars needed an oil and filter change every 6-7k miles!
:oops:

Page 197 of the manual:
Font Screenshot Parallel Terrestrial plant Web page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.