Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Factory tow-bar retrofit

30K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Ben L 
#1 ·
Dealer quoted me £1171 to retrofit the factory tow-bar to my Kodiaq, it's the 2L TDI 190 so doesn't need any cooling upgrades. Doesn't seem too unreasonable for a retrofit as it's almost a £900 option if spec'ing from new.

Just wondering if anyone has had it done or enquired about it?

Before someone mentions it I know aftermarket ones are a lot cheaper but I don't like the crashbar removal they require, unless you know of one that they've done crash test with to prove the replacement bar is as good or better than the original?

#2 ·
I've no idea if they did a crash test with my one but the bar I installed for it is a damn sight tougher than the lightweight crashbar that I removed!

Arguably the new one doesn't have a crumple design though. I'd be interested to see the Skoda replacement crashbar that they install for your £1100.

#3 ·
We had a factory tow-bar retrofitted to our 2018 Kodiaq SEL 2.00 TD DSG in August. Cost £950 (Main Dealer in Aldershot) Very please with the result, although, to be fair, I am no expert. We use towbar to carry bikes rather than towing. Towbar deploys electronically and folds away when not in use. Car was in workshop for best part of 2 days, so with parts and wiring it was a pretty major operation.

#5 ·
I have just found a note on the spec sheet on the skoda website saying that retro fitting a towbar may not be possible on all models, does anyone here have experience or more info on this?

#6 ·
GallopingGourmet said:
I have just found a note on the spec sheet on the skoda website saying that retro fitting a towbar may not be possible on all models, does anyone here have experience or more info on this?
Seeing as you only ordered yesterday, I'd have thought you could add the factory fit one to your order still unless of course you're aiming to keep under the £40k limit for tax? Would think you're close on a L&K with only a few options?

#7 ·
Yes I left it off to stay below 40k and was told by the he dealer it could be retro fitted. The note on the spec sheet on the skoda website made me suspicious though.

#8 ·
GallopingGourmet said:
Yes I left it off to stay below 40k and was told by the he dealer it could be retro fitted. The note on the spec sheet on the skoda website made me suspicious though.
When I was looking at placing an order and aiming to keep under the £40k limit, I mentioned getting the factory towbar prep done instead of the electrically deployable towbar, but he advised against it as they were quoting £950 for a fixed towbar fit and with the towbar prep costing £190, it made the electrically deployable one look remarkably good value.

Of course I ended up buying a car that was already in stock and blew the £40k limit out of the water with the options that were already fitted!

The one thing I would say to be wary of is that the £40k value for tax is based on the list price on the V5 at the time of delivery, not at the time you placed the order. If Skoda decide to increase prices any time between now and delivery then you could find you've tipped over the limit anyway. Of course you've signed the order form so Skoda will (or at least should) honour the price you've agreed to pay, but the DVLA don't really care about that...

#9 ·
Thanks for the heads up about the list price at the time of delivery. The dealer advised me that the DVLA will be given the list price I have signed up to though, inconsistent messages. I have been told by the dealer that they can retro fit the electrically deployable one for £1000. I'm just worried about the advice on the Skoda website that not all Kodiaq models can have a towbar retro fitted.

#10 ·
GallopingGourmet said:
Thanks for the heads up about the list price at the time of delivery. The dealer advised me that the DVLA will be given the list price I have signed up to though, inconsistent messages. I have been told by the dealer that they can retro fit the electrically deployable one for £1000. I'm just worried about the advice on the Skoda website that not all Kodiaq models can have a towbar retro fitted.
It's quite clear on the DVLA website here (from 2016):
https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2016/03/23/the-way-car-tax-is-calculated-is-changing/
It clearly states that the £40k list price is "...at first registration..." so if there's a price increase on the basic model between now and your delivery, then the options could easily tip you over. If it was based on the list price at the time of ordering then you could in theory order your next car now for delivery in 3 or 4 years' time to avoid the extra tax...

#11 ·
GallopingGourmet said:
I'm just worried about the advice on the Skoda website that not all Kodiaq models can have a towbar retro fitted.
@GallopingGourmet - no need for you to worry. :D

The only Kodiaq models that are NOT homologated for towbar fitting purposes are the 7-seat versions with the 2.0Tdi 150PS 4x4 MANUAL GEARBOX, whichever model be it: SE, SE L, Scout, Sportline, Edition, or L&K.

Details are confirmed in the Kodiaq Pricing & Specification leaflet available here: https://az749841.vo.msecnd.net/sitesengb/alv1/bc8ac4dc-4252-4c13-9fb3-d15ffb8b86cb/SKODA_KODIAQ_Pricing_and_Spec_FEB19.ba74ea56e12a23082561eb3006d8b13c.pdf

#13 ·
Just as a side note, on a different thread someone retrofitted a tow bar ( not by Skoda) and as a consequence Skoda are rejecting a warranty claim on a known battery / battery module fault. Makes no sense but their stance is that the retrofit and alteration by non-Skoda technicians to the electrical systems is the route cause of the fault therefore no warranty claim is valid even though it's a known problem.

#16 ·
My Kodiaq 190 DSG 7 seater, came with the electric tow bar fitted, I use the vehicle to pull the caravan. Also it came with biscuit spare wheel, which is no good, if you are towing, if you have a flat, the biscuit is not legal.So I bought a full size wheel as the spare, it is to big to fit in the spare well, because of the mechanism for the tow ball. I have to carry it in the boot , and takes quite a bit of room up.
Prier to the Kodiaq, I had a Superb, which I may go back to, in a couple of years. However with that, I had the tow bar fitted after purchase, with that I also bought a full size spare wheel, which did fit into the spare well, maybe the same would apply to the Kodiaq. But I think the Kodiaq is a great motor, as yet no probs what so ever, July 2 years old, as yet covered 7500 miles.

#17 ·
Damson2GiN said:
My Kodiaq 190 DSG 7 seater, came with the electric tow bar fitted, I use the vehicle to pull the caravan. Also it came with biscuit spare wheel, which is no good, if you are towing, if you have a flat, the biscuit is not legal.So I bought a full size wheel as the spare, it is to big to fit in the spare well, because of the mechanism for the tow ball. I have to carry it in the boot , and takes quite a bit of room up.
Prier to the Kodiaq, I had a Superb, which I may go back to, in a couple of years. However with that, I had the tow bar fitted after purchase, with that I also bought a full size spare wheel, which did fit into the spare well, maybe the same would apply to the Kodiaq. But I think the Kodiaq is a great motor, as yet no probs what so ever, July 2 years old, as yet covered 7500 miles.
Why not opt for the tyre repair kit? Lots of driver's manage OK with that.

#18 ·
Interesting thing I've noticed for the first time today on the Skoda website (it could of been there all along and I just hadn't noticed) is this:

"Please note in some instances it is not possible to retrospectively fit a tow bar if the car is not fitted with tow bar preparation at Factory. Please speak to your Retailer to confirm the exact towing eligibility."

This is different to the 150hp diesel not being homologated to tow - this implies that its tow bar prep or nothing on some models - anyone have any idea?

#19 ·
The VRS model can apparently not be retrofitted (by dealers) with the factory tow bar. No idea why.

#20 ·
Tyre repair kit, from what I understand, if you have a puncture, you squirt the foam into the defective tyre, it will get you home, But cost you a new tyre?£200 plus. I suppose its the case of last resort. I prefer to change the wheel, get the tyre fixed back home, last puncture I had , they charged me a tenner.

G
#21 ·
Damson2GiN said:
Tyre repair kit, from what I understand, if you have a puncture, you squirt the foam into the defective tyre, it will get you home, But cost you a new tyre?£200 plus. I suppose its the case of last resort. I prefer to change the wheel, get the tyre fixed back home, last puncture I had , they charged me a tenner.
You don't need a new tyre after using the goo, after the tyre has been washed out it can be repaired as normal.

#24 ·
Damson2GiN said:
I stand corrected, but I will not be using one, its a matter of choice, I prefer to change the wheel. If you were towing a 1500Kilo caravan, and the back tyre was full of Goo, and 100 plus miles to drive on the motorway, doing 50-60 mph, would you feel safe?
Just how fast do you want to tow your caravan? I was under the impression the speed limits were 50mph (single cariageway) and 60mph (dual caiiageways and motorways).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.