Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Moving to Skoda!

9K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Audievo 
#1 ·
Hi all, looking to move (maybe) to Skoda from Audi.
Currently driving an A5 but looking @ a Kodiaq.
Big question...... do I need a 4x4 as I have been offered a very good deal on a fwd pre reg (68 delivery miles) 2.0ltr dsg.
So, should I take this fwd will I regret it when the snow hits or will I just invest in snow tyres and get away with it.
Anyone got a fwd 2ltr diesel who could advise,
Thanks all

#4 ·
Depends entirely on your circumstances. Personally I am fine with adjusting my driving style to cope with (southern UK) bad weather, and use the factory fit tyres all year round.

For the 1 or 2 days a year a 4x4 would be of significant benefit to me, it does not justify the additional cost.

#5 ·
My 2WD Kodiaq has done just fine all winter for me. But if you live in a hilly area, or on farm land, or can't resist the urge to go out driving on a snowy day, then I guess you'll need a 4X4!!

G
#6 ·
A 2WD with winter / all season tyres will cope so much better in winter conditions, including snow than a 4x4 with the standard fit " summer" tyres. 4x4 on its own doesn't make it any easier to drive on snow/ice, it just means you'll be spinning 4 wheels instead of 2 :lol:
It's all down to having the appropriate tyres for the conditions.

#8 ·
Hmmm. So some ok, some not. I live on a very steep hill that the local council have decided in the last 2 years to take off their gritting route.
When it snows it is a nightmare.
I know it's only a few days a year but it is a big inconvenience.
So it's either 4x4 or 2wd with cross climate tyres.
That's another thing, does anyone run on cross climate tyres?
I run Michelin agilis alpin winter tyres but even these struggle up hill in snow.

#9 ·
I've stayed with 4x4 for the past 12 years in various cars. I wouldn't go back to 2 wheel drive now. Its not just in snow that it helps. Personally I think the small difference (overall) in mpg is worth the reassurance. I accept a 2wd with all season or winter tyres will be equal to 4x4 (in most cases) but as you are on a steep hill anyway I would just go 4x4.

#10 ·
Old and Grumpy said:
Has anyone any experience of using Michelin Cross Climate tyres with 2WD Kodiaqs?
Yep,

Just collected my Kodiaq in December and it has now done 1000 miles. As previously reported on this forum, I had the tyres swapped before collection and had CrossClimates fitted. they have always been brilliant on my wife's MPV and although I have always run Conti winters and swapped back to summer rubber when I was running a fast hatch, I thought I would take the plunge and save a LOT of space...the Kodiaq 19" wheels with tyres fitted are huge.

Since collection, the weather has been consistently below or near to 7 degrees and I have been really impressed with performance and grip, as well as comfort and noise. Today I drove in snow for the first time and was seriously impressed. This next comment sounds contrived but is absolutely true...

My neighbour has a 4x4 and was slithering around in our shared turnaround today which is on a slope. He eventually managed to reverse back into his driveway. I thought I was going to struggle in my 2wd but cautiously tried to reverse off the ice and snow in the turnaround... after a minor wheel spin, I just reversed back with no issues at all...!!

I hope this helps. CrossClimates have been nothing but good for us as a family. Continental has now brought out a competitor but it's not yet available on 19's. I did not choose 4x4 because, as previous posts have alluded to, the tyres are more important and I only drive on roads, and the snow is only for a few days a year. And I actually value fuel consumption and retail price over a badge.

I have no issue with why someone who needs 4wd would buy a REAL 4x4, but really, this car is so good in 2wd, why bother? If you are a farmer, buy a Landrover...

Rant over. Final word...Just do it, I don't regret leaving Audi at all.

#11 ·
DrMatt said:
Old and Grumpy said:
Has anyone any experience of using Michelin Cross Climate tyres with 2WD Kodiaqs?
Yep,

Just collected my Kodiaq in December and it has now done 1000 miles. As previously reported on this forum, I had the tyres swapped before collection and had CrossClimates fitted. they have always been brilliant on my wife's MPV and although I have always run Conti winters and swapped back to summer rubber when I was running a fast hatch, I thought I would take the plunge and save a LOT of space...the Kodiaq 19" wheels with tyres fitted are huge.

Since collection, the weather has been consistently below or near to 7 degrees and I have been really impressed with performance and grip, as well as comfort and noise. Today I drove in snow for the first time and was seriously impressed. This next comment sounds contrived but is absolutely true...

My neighbour has a 4x4 and was slithering around in our shared turnaround today which is on a slope. He eventually managed to reverse back into his driveway. I thought I was going to struggle in my 2wd but cautiously tried to reverse off the ice and snow in the turnaround... after a minor wheel spin, I just reversed back with no issues at all...!!

I hope this helps. CrossClimates have been nothing but good for us as a family. Continental has now brought out a competitor but it's not yet available on 19's. I did not choose 4x4 because, as previous posts have alluded to, the tyres are more important and I only drive on roads, and the snow is only for a few days a year. And I actually value fuel consumption and retail price over a badge.

I have no issue with why someone who needs 4wd would buy a REAL 4x4, but really, this car is so good in 2wd, why bother? If you are a farmer, buy a Landrover...

Rant over. Final word...Just do it, I don't regret leaving Audi at all.
Thank you. You have confirmed what I hoped would be the case. My Pirellis will be replaced with Michelin Cross Climates.

#12 ·
It is debatable if FWD and winter tyres are better that AWD all season tyres, I would say the are comparable not better (tread depth is important of course). We live in a very rural part of Scotland at high altitude and the all season tyres we have managed extremely well considering we have up to 5 foot of snow. If you live in Southern England where you have 1cm of snow and everyone has a meltdown then FWD should be OK.

Changing ours for winter tyres would have been an option but we are limited contractually on what we can fit apart from which we only have a few days a year when the roads are to dangerous to drive - so we don't. As the Winter tyres cost about £180 per corner when I last looked it wasn't worth it for a few days a year.

Adapting your driving style to the conditions is also important.

G
#13 ·
FoxtrotAlpha said:
It is debatable if FWD and winter tyres are better that AWD all season tyres, I would say the are comparable not better (tread depth is important of course). We live in a very rural part of Scotland at high altitude and the all season tyres we have managed extremely well considering we have up to 5 foot of snow.
What make and size of all season tyres have you fitted?

#14 ·
Kenny R said:
FoxtrotAlpha said:
It is debatable if FWD and winter tyres are better that AWD all season tyres, I would say the are comparable not better (tread depth is important of course). We live in a very rural part of Scotland at high altitude and the all season tyres we have managed extremely well considering we have up to 5 foot of snow.
What make and size of all season tyres have you fitted?
Standard supplied Ventus S1 Evo2 which are technically summer tyres but still manage snow with good tread depth. My Kodiaq goes back soon and I may consider winter tyres next year but I don't feel like adding them onto a car at this stage when it's replacement will have bigger tyres - I don't bother changing rims and tyres over winter.

My PHC states I need to use premium tyres (Continental Pirelli Goodyear etc. or the ones supplied (Hankook in my case)) so dedicated winter tyres can be expensive if I did all four.

For the sake of a few days a year it's not worth my time, effort and expense using them. That said I work from home so if it's snowing it makes no real difference to my work.

#15 ·
I have run AWD car for years (Audi Quattro, BMW Xdrive, Porsche 4 x 4 and Skoda 4 x 4 systems). On the daily car I would not consider anything less now and I run winter wheels on these cars too for the extra grip in cornering and braking). Once you understand the difference AWD and winter tyres offer it's hard to move away from. This weekend showed again why I do it, I have been driving around with no issues (just the odd forced four wheel drift for fun) compared to my brother who in his rear wheel drive BMW found his journey was touch and go (and he does not scare easily). With my young family I don't want to be stranded and therefore take comfort in having a car that allows me to keep going and drop wheels of the road into mud etc without issue.

As for the title, I moved to Skoda with our first Yeti 7 years ago and have enjoyed the experience throughout. The engineering standards Skoda has to meet are generally in line with the rest of the VAG group (Audi, VW, SEAT) and that means the things you expect to work, work and are often carry-over or carry-modified, so engines, gearboxes, suspension components etc are the same or very close in design with built in differentiation, I prefer the new Skoda styling to VW and prefer the value of the cars compared to Audi (I currently also drive an Audi).

#16 ·
Yeah i keep asking myself why i need a 4wd. I have one hill where i live which is terrible when it snows. It is very steep and most cars struggle (and fail) to get up.
It is however only a few days a year so i'm wondering if i should just buy the 2wd and take a chance on cross climates helping me out when i need it.
On the other hand i think i'd be very red faced if i was sitting in a car that looks, well, the way a kodiaq looks and get stuck in the snow.

#18 ·
Collected my new Kodiaq a week ago. We've had a Yeti for two and a half years that has been perfect and we love it so much that we're going to keep it for another three at least. Kodiaq is SE L Business Grey with virtual cockpit. Had park assist on the Yeti but in real life you never use it. As it's February had Michelin Cross Climates fitted on delivery and they feel excellent. We have Goodyear 4 seasons on the Yeti which we get changed for summer tyres in March. They're very good too; surprisingly good in snow for all season tyres and more than adequate for UK winters not too far north. I think the Michelin's will also be fine for us but will change back to original Pirellis in March. Impossible to find 19" steel wheels so we get our local garage to change the tyres - at £80 a go! New Kodiaq drives beautifully and has so many excellent qualities plus acres of space!

#19 ·
Sounds good. I'm still undecided. Do love the business grey.............. and white.............and black.................and the red velvet looks nice too!!! I use Michelin agilis alpin (winter) on my current vehicle. Buy from costco and they swap them back for £32!!! I think £80 is a bit steep. Now favoring a petrol but still not sure how much i need a 4x4.........or dsg.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.