Towing

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Kodiconvert

Towing

Post by Kodiconvert » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:29 pm

Hi all

Just joined the forum and 99.9% certain I am going to place an order this week. Just curious if anyone has the 2.0 TSI and tows a 1500kg caravan and how the car/engine fares? I've been driving diesels for 20 years now but wanting to change back to petrol. Hoping it is more than adequate (and improved) now its 190bhp even though the torque is unchanged from the 180 version at 320nm (rather than the diesels 400)
31/01/19. Ordered Kodiaq SE L 2.0 TSI 190 DSG 4x4 in metallic petrol blue with beige interior
14 options added
Expect to collect early May

Living in Somerset UK

johndoe

Re: Towing

Post by johndoe » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:06 pm

No first hand experience yet. My 2.0 TSI has been produced and should be on its way to the Netherlands. According to the Belgium Skoda site the towing specs are the same as the old 2.0. It can tow 2200kg so I am hoping this is more then sufficient for my 1500kg caravan and 1800kg boat-trailer.

But would love to hear people with first hand experience in towing with the 2.0 TSI (even the “old” 180ps version)
The Netherlands - Ordered May 2018: Kodiaq 2.0 TSI 4x4 Red Velvet, ventilated leather, electr. adjustable seats, DCC, offRoad, hillHold, heated steering, seats and windscreen, laneAssist, ACC, tow hitch, etc. Delivery estimated for April 2019

old man

Post by old man » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:27 pm

I have a 2.0 TSI, but as yet I haven't towed my caravan, and probably won't until around April.
Although the torque figure is down on my previous Hyundai Santa Fe diesel, this car has more get up and go than the Hyundai, so I don't envisage problems. Having said that, I don't tow large distances, so how the Kodiaq will fare if you do is unknown (to me).
What I do anticipate is pretty poor fuel consumption as the Kodiaq is already around 10mpg worse than the Hyundai, even without a caravan behind.

Kodiconvert

Post by Kodiconvert » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:22 pm

I've read various reports of the mpg for the TSI and to be honest they appear to be similar to what I have been getting from my diesel Sorento.

As a matter of interest what mpg have you been getting?
31/01/19. Ordered Kodiaq SE L 2.0 TSI 190 DSG 4x4 in metallic petrol blue with beige interior
14 options added

Living in Somerset UK

old man

Post by old man » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm

The reasons are convoluted, but I haven't paid major attention to my mpg until recently. Thus far I've seen anywhere between 21 and 31mpg on the onboard computer, most of which has been local driving, and I have a distrust of the computer figures as all the ones I've owned previously have been optimistic.
I've just started to use the tried and tested method of brimming the tank and working out the mpg from litres used and mileage driven. The last time I filled up I'd averaged 25mpg which was again mainly local driving.
The car is capable of achieving better than that if you drive steadier than I do. I find this engine encourages spirited driving. :D

Marinfullsuss

Post by Marinfullsuss » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:59 am

Kodiconvert wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:29 pm
Hi all

Just joined the forum and 99.9% certain I am going to place an order this week. Just curious if anyone has the 2.0 TSI and tows a 1500kg caravan and how the car/engine fares? I've been driving diesels for 20 years now but wanting to change back to petrol. Hoping it is more than adequate (and improved) now its 190bhp even though the torque is unchanged from the 180 version at 320nm (rather than the diesels 400)
Worth checking this website as a starting point https://towcar.info/GB/. It's not clear what the 1500kg refers to, however the weights on the website seem to be MiRO and not MTPLM.
SE Technology, 5 seats, 150 TDi, manual, 4WD, candy white, towbar, adaptive cruise control, rear camera, Amundsen sat nav, front & rear parking sensors, space saver wheel

Kodiconvert

Post by Kodiconvert » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:22 pm

Agree that website is a little confusing. I have had it confirmed from Skoda that the towing weight is reduced from 2000kg to 1875 because I am having the pano roof, however that is not an issue for the weight i will be towing. Looking at the cars weight and the 'van it will be running at 80% so well within the 85% guideline.
14 options added

Living in Somerset UK

Kodiconvert

Post by Kodiconvert » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:27 pm

old man wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm
The reasons are convoluted, but I haven't paid major attention to my mpg until recently. Thus far I've seen anywhere between 21 and 31mpg on the onboard computer, most of which has been local driving, and I have a distrust of the computer figures as all the ones I've owned previously have been optimistic.
I've just started to use the tried and tested method of brimming the tank and working out the mpg from litres used and mileage driven. The last time I filled up I'd averaged 25mpg which was again mainly local driving.
The car is capable of achieving better than that if you drive steadier than I do. I find this engine encourages spirited driving. :D
Thanks for this. About what I expected - and I agree with your last sentence. I am looking forward to being able to 'make haste'!

Have you regretted the move away from the Santa Fe in any way? I read that the space inside the Kodiaq is greater than the SF and Sorento - but sitting in it and measuring the boot it is smaller!
14 options added

Living in Somerset UK

old man

Post by old man » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:48 pm

Have you regretted the move away from the Santa Fe in any way? I read that the space inside the Kodiaq is greater than the SF and Sorento - but sitting in it and measuring the boot it is smaller!

Apart from the 5 year Hyundai guarantee, no I haven't. Don't get me wrong, the Santa Fe (2015) was a nice car and I found the seating a bit more comfortable than the Kodiaq. My seats are manual in the Kodiaq and I've read that the electric ones are better, a comment borne out by the electric seats in a previous Skoda Superb I owned which was more comfortable than my Kodiaq.

I bought the Santa Fe to replace the Superb because I thought it would tow my current caravan better, but I was wrong. The Superb and my van were a more stable combination than the Santa Fe with my van in tow. The downside with the Superb was that the car weight was a little low (although not illegal) for the caravan I have. The Kodiaq should address that as it's a heavier vehicle.

I bought my Kodiaq off the shelf, so it has no reversing camera. That's something I didn't think I'd miss, but I do. I also wish I had front parking sensors too as I'm finding this car harder to judge where the front is than the Hyundai.

In a direct comparison of driving the two vehicles with no van on the back, I much prefer the Kodiaq. It's quieter, quicker and goes round bends in a far more stable manner than the Hyundai. I have the 5 seater (as was the Hyundai) and although I haven't compared figures or taken any measurements, there certainly seems to be more passenger room front and back than the Hyundai. With regard to boot space. I took it to France last Sept just after buying it. I packed the boot with pretty much the same paraphernalia that I usually take and the boot seemed to swallow it all in much the same fashion as the Hyundai did. There's nothing scientific here, it just all went in with no drama. From memory the Hyundai boot seemed longer i.e the space between hatch door and the seat backs, whereas the Kodiaq doesn't seem as long but there's more space between the boot floor and the roof. Or at least there was until I fitted a spacesaver wheel and a false floor.

One thing to bear in mind with the Kodiaq, is that the 7 seater has a lower nose weight limit than the 5 seater, which is very aggravating if you need 7 seats and tow a van. I deliberately sought out a 5 seater because of this as my van nose weight is always around 100kgs.

Overall, and this might be due to my German heritage, I like the fact the Kodiaq has a Germanic feel to it, whereas the Hyundai still has a slightly fussy Asian feel to it. They have come on in leaps and bounds in recent years though and I certain;t wouldn't be dismayed if I had to go back to a South Korean car.

Hope this helps :)

old man

Post by old man » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:52 pm

I meant to say in my previous post, I'm just outside Bridgwater in Somerset. If you're anywhere nearby, you're welcome see/come out in my car if you haven't already been able to test drive the model you want.

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”