Occasional failure to start

Faults and Technical chat for the Skoda Kodiaq
dave1021

Occasional failure to start

Post by dave1021 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:56 am

Hi, I have a Kodiaq 1.4 TSI 150 SE L 7 Seat which is petrol and an Automatic, it is about 16 months old and has done around 6,200 miles.
Within that time it has failed to start 4 times.
There does not seem to be a pattern to this happening, we will have driven somewhere - stopped for a while, then on return to the car have unlocked it and tried to start the car by pressing the foot brake down and pressing the start button, but nothing happens - the electrics have come on but no startup of the engine and no warning messages. After about 30 mins to 1 hour it seems to clear itself and then starts - generally just as the AA van is about to turn up!
It has been in for a service after the first two times - they found nothing and updated the software. It is now booked in for next week but I'm sure they will not be able to reproduce the problem in the garage, so I am wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem?
Skoda Kodiaq 1.4 TSI 150 SE L 7 SEAT Automatic
Moon White Metallic

eLTe

Re: Occasional failure to start

Post by eLTe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:09 pm

There was a bad batch of batteries about in the early days. I forget the detail. Do a forum search, sure it’ll turn up. Should be replaced under warranty, no quibbles.
Sportline 1.4 TSI DSG 4x4 : Business Grey : Front and Rear Parking Sensors, Child Pack, Driver Profile thingy

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm

Yep, I had a battery replaced along with the management module as it kept on failing to start, all under warranty. Mine is about the same age as yours. Common issue.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Sportline on order with Virtual Cockpit.

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:45 pm

I belive the faulty batteries are manufactured by MOLL, and reading other posts and forums, Skoda Assist know exactly what batteries are faulty and carry some replacement batteries in their vans and change them there and then. If they haven’t got one they transport your car to dealer and arrange courtesy car till dealer can replace battery, and from what I’ve read could take a few days.
Though to me it sounds like your problem is something else like brake pedal interlock switch etc as car starts later.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

dave1021

Post by dave1021 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:55 am

Thanks Kenny

Re. Though to me it sounds like your problem is something else like brake pedal interlock switch etc as car starts later.

That sounds possible as I know when it fails I cannot press down the brake pedal when I press the start button - but after the 30 mins to 1 hour wait, the brake pedal will push down a short distance as normal when starting!
Moon White Metallic

dave1021

Post by dave1021 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:44 am

An update on my issue - the car went to the local dealer and they changed the Starter button.
Will have to wait and see if this fixes the problem.
Moon White Metallic

C2atb

Post by C2atb » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:50 am

Yes it couldn’t be the battery if it starts after . Glad it’s got sorted though fingers crossed
Black magic 1.4 SE ,7 seats , canton , rear view , privacy glass with tints, heko wind deflectors , ambient lighting , Amundsen , kessy , power tailgate/foot ,DCC, 22” OZ wheels , sportline style grill,montecarlo badges , ghost lights

dave1021

Post by dave1021 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:18 pm

Another update - it failed again not long after changing Stop/Start button.
Into dealer again - this time for a week - at least they had a courtesy Kodiaq to loan me this time.
Just got back today with new Comfort Control Unit - only time will tell again!

PS had to make the journey back to the dealer half way through with second key so that it could be programmed up at the same time - and it's 20 miles away :-(
Moon White Metallic

dave1021

Post by dave1021 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Another update, hopefully the last!
It failed again a couple of times close together, it went back to Skoda who had it for a week whilst they waited for a new ECU to arrive.
They think it was an earthing problem in the ECU.
Moon White Metallic

Return to “Faults & Technical”