Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Burning oil? And getting out of park on a hill

10K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Vaclav^2 
#1 ·
Two problems. I have 11.5k km on since July 12th

Today oil warning light came on. Checked and it was at bottom of range. Topped it up BUT can this be right.

I can't find how much should be added in an oil change but the manual says it could consume up to 0.5l per 1000km. So have I burnt through 5-6l?

Journeys are 50/50 start stop for short distances and 45-60 min motorway driving.

All short journeys are on steep alpine roads where it struggles to get out of 2nd.

Second thing that appears to be new is that when i park on my drive in reverse - again a slope - when I get back in to start. It is difficult to move lever from park to drive. It "clunks" out of park. Almost as if it's being pulled out of gear with no clutch.

BUT. If i park on drive in reverse. Immediately apply parking brake and then move lever to park. When I restart car and move lever from park to drive it goes smoothly with no clunk. Any ideas why?

Thanks

Andrew

See less See more
#2 ·
Point 1 - bottom of marks on dipstick is normally about 1 to 1.5 litre of oil. Perfectly normal.

Point 2 - if you put in park when held on the foot brake and then engage the parking brake the car will 'settle' when you release the footbrake and the front wheels will turn slightly, putting strain on the pawl in the gearbox which locks the transmission.
Apply the parking brake and release the footbrake before engaging Park, no strain on the pawl then.

You can test this, reverse up your drive, hold the car on the footbrake, engage Neutral, apply the parking brake, release the footbrake - you will feel the car move slightly forward down your drive as the weight shifts and the car settles. Now move from Neutral to Park.

Both problems sound perfectly normal to me.

#3 ·
Andy is quite correct on both points but I would say to get the oil down to the lowest mark after 11k Km is NOT acceptable. Having owned 4 previous Skodas. I have NEVER had to top up between 10K MILES service.
Most modern cars sump capacities are around 4-4.5 litres. I cab't find the info on line and it is too late to have a look at the handbook which is in the car.
Check your handbook in the morning or if it is not in there ask your dealer. At the same time tell him about the excessive oil consumption ( that equals 1708 miles per litre or 776miles to the pint.)
If he tells you that is acceptable he is talking bollox and I would take it up with Skoda soonest (but check your figures first!
(I am ex Shell Retail Lubricants so I do have some experience)

#4 ·
Colin, were you not around when the Fabia vRS MkII was drinking oil? - as the OP quoted, Skoda (and all of VAG group) work off of 0.5l per 1000km as acceptable.

Plus, we don't know what the starting point was - it might have been only 0.5l above minimum to start off with, so the consumption might be 0.5l in 11000 km - the OP didn't say if they checked it previously and it was at the top of the dipstick?

Your maths also seem a little suspect - how do you get to 1708 miles per litre????

At the most it has consumed 1.5l of oil in 11000km, I make that 4,556.667 miles per litre?

If all the oil had been consumed the OP would have no engine at this point, plus been driving round with the oil level warning light on for quite a while.

The OP didn't state how much they topped up by and also where that left the oil level on the dipstick.

I have done over 180k miles in my last 3 Skoda's, all diesel, and also never had to top up between variable services (18k miles), but they did consume some oil. It takes me roughly 10-12 months to cover 18k miles.

I wouldn't worry about having to top up after 11k km, unless you are having to top up again in another 10k km - the I would be asking questions, but I know what the answer will be, if it doesn't exceed 0.5l per 1000km then Skoda won't be interested.

Keep an eye on the level, and make sure the engine is at operating temp and on level ground when you check.

#5 ·
Andy,
Quite likely my maths is duff. I failed maths 'O' level 3 times! :lol:
Sorry!

#6 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Andy,
Quite likely my maths is duff. I failed maths 'O' level 3 times! :lol:
Sorry!
:)

No worries LOL

#7 ·
Not sure this is the right thread, however...............
Have you noticed that when the car stops in traffic, and you apply the parking brake, the brake lights stay on? Is this a deliberate safety feature?

#10 ·
V. odd, I'll check mine when I next go out.
It may just be a safety feature, but it doesn't help the LED brake lights dazzling peeps behind!

#11 ·
Oil Consumption on SEL 2.0 TDI ?

Reg new on 31/05/17 Miles at first oil service 8,555
I had it done early as we towed the caravan to Switzerland which it did without braking a sweat.

Topped up again myself mid summer at 1/2 dip stick

miles now ? Cant find it, but maybe 14,000 , (The mileage total has vanished, anyone know where?)

Frequent requests for oil service message and it now requires top up again from bottom of dip stick.

I had a word with Hughes who assured me this level of oil use was quite normal. "modern diesels use more oil"

Seems odd, oil burning can' t do much for the pollution level.

My old S Max with Euro5 2 lt. diesel never needed any oil between service .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.