Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

School Run Kodiaq - Diesel/Petrol

12K views 21 replies 10 participants last post by  Zach 
#1 ·
Hi guys

We have a 7 seater discovery sport which is always getting its diesel filter clogged up ..it has got to the stage that LR have to replace the exhaust! I think this is due to the fact that we usually do short runs < 5km

Can anyone tell me if the kodiaq diesel suffers the same problem or would the petrol suit our needs

We would do big trips about once a month and would like to be able to bring it on big roadtrips for camping in France

Thanks
J

#2 ·
If most of your driving is short runs, then petrol would suit better. If you're changing your car because of DPF issues, makes sense to go for petrol this time.

I have driven my petrol Kodiaq on a week long trip from Yorkshire to Lancashire to Cumbria to Northumberland and back to Yorkshire with 7 passengers and luggage in the roof box. At no stage did it feel underpowered. In fact I have overtaken slower cars quite easily.

#4 ·
We've got no DPF issues even though on weekdays the car is used for short commutes. Most of the short trips have at least a few km on a 50mph road though. We also do longer weekend drives usually though so ymmv.

#5 ·
You don't say where you are, but assume you in U.K.
Although the diesel scare is basically unfounded it has not precluded a dramatic drop in residuals for dervs. Even finance and PCP companies have started going away from 'oil burners' and some people have been left with a much larger final payment than they anticipated.
I have nothing against diesels per se, as I have had many, but given the current climate I would certainly not entertain one at present whatever type of driving you do. Only if towing something heavy would diesel be an option.
Petrol engine consumption is getting so much bette,r the difference considering the extra cost of the fuel does not really equate. Best I have achieved out of my 1.4 SE L DSG 7 seater is 44.7mpg. All VAG engines loosen up after about 4-5k miles and consumption then improves.

#6 ·
Given you do mainly short jouneys and have had bad experiences with dpf i am surprised you are conisdering another diesel. Unless you do serious mileage or tow regularly petrol is a no brainer, particularly given recent demonisation of diesel (rightly or wrongly) and impact on residuals.

I have been happy with my petrol 1.4 dsg. Decent performance and mpgs are improving. As Colin says i have noticed an improvement from 2.5-3k miles. The other day i got 45.6 on a 17 mile journey. Little traffic, Average speed 34. 😀

#7 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Although the diesel scare is basically unfounded it has not precluded a dramatic drop in residuals for dervs. Even finance and PCP companies have started going away from 'oil burners' and some people have been left with a much larger final payment than they anticipated.
I have nothing against diesels per se, as I have had many, but given the current climate I would certainly not entertain one at present whatever type of driving you do. Only if towing something heavy would diesel be an option.
Petrol engine consumption is getting so much bette,r the difference considering the extra cost of the fuel does not really equate. Best I have achieved out of my 1.4 SE L DSG 7 seater is 44.7mpg. All VAG engines loosen up after about 4-5k miles and consumption then improves.
I got our diesel on a personal hire contract so no issues with residual values and also worked out cheaper than PCP. I also drove the 1.4 petrol recently and found it seriously lacking even by Kodiaq standards, very lack lustre and uninspiring. I could never recommend such a large vehicle with a 1.4 Petrol, the 2 litre is a better option if diesel is a concern although I would recommend a test drive in one to see if fits your driving style.

#8 ·
I understand the clutch on the Discover Sport is also a bit suspect, I know several people who have burnt out. I think the styling of the Sport is better than the Kodiaq but in terms of value for money the Kodiaq wins every time. The list price is significantly cheaper on equivalent models and if additional mileage charges are a concern then Land Rover's are a staggering £0.28 per miles whilst Skoda's are £0.07.

#9 ·
Jon Edwards said:
Colin Lambert said:
I got our diesel on a personal hire contract so no issues with residual values and also worked out cheaper than PCP. I also drove the 1.4 petrol recently and found it seriously lacking even by Kodiaq standards, very lack lustre and uninspiring. I could never recommend such a large vehicle with a 1.4 Petrol, the 2 litre is a better option if diesel is a concern although I would recommend a test drive in one to see if fits your driving style.
Diesels are often the more lack lustre and uninspiring to drive (unless very high powered) due to the turbo lag. I test drove a sportline tdi as it was the only engine available in that trim and thought the turbo lag was terrible.

#10 ·
Professor1999 said:
Jon Edwards said:
Colin Lambert said:
Diesels are often the more lack lustre and uninspiring to drive (unless very high powered) due to the turbo lag. I test drove a sportline tdi as it was the only engine available in that trim and thought the turbo lag was terrible.
Maybe my driving style differs to yours but a 1.4 petrol is hardly high adrenalinedriving either, all I can say is that I have never been left wanting more power whilst overtaking with the 2.0 (150bhp) diesel, it's not the same as my old vRS but considering it's a Kodiaq I can't complain. Neither of these engines are exciting let's face it.

#11 ·
Jon Edwards said:
Professor1999 said:
Jon Edwards said:
Maybe my driving style differs to yours but a 1.4 petrol is hardly high adrenalinedriving either, all I can say is that I have never been left wanting more power whilst overtaking with the 2.0 (150bhp) diesel, it's not the same as my old vRS but considering it's a Kodiaq I can't complain. Neither of these engines are exciting let's face it.
Fair point, but if i had had the issues the OP did, i can't imagine i'd be considering another diesel. Fyi I am not anti diesel, i happily drove one for 10+ years without any issues. Best advice as you said is to test drive oneself.

#12 ·
I've never found the 1.4 lacking in power, either in town or on the motorway regardless of what's on board. Of course it isn't going to set the world on fire but neither is the 150 diesel.

Let's be honest here. The guy said he does mainly low mileage runs with the kids on board to / from school so assume it's in and around town. This is exactly what we do in ours and is the reason I bought the 1.4. The 2.0 petrol is completely pointless in this scenario, the extra power is meaningless in town driving and barely adds anything other than higher consumption when it goes on the motorway.

If you want something quick and exciting to drive, go buy a focus ST or something of that ilk. If you want a big car to ferry the kids about town in comfort, buy a 1.4 Kodiaq (I'd recommend the DSG) and enjoy it.

#13 ·
eLTe said:
I've never found the 1.4 lacking in power, either in town or on the motorway regardless of what's on board. Of course it isn't going to set the world on fire but neither is the 150 diesel.

Let's be honest here. The guy said he does mainly low mileage runs with the kids on board to / from school so assume it's in and around town. This is exactly what we do in ours and is the reason I bought the 1.4. The 2.0 petrol is completely pointless in this scenario, the extra power is meaningless in town driving and barely adds anything other than higher consumption when it goes on the motorway.

If you want something quick and exciting to drive, go buy a focus ST or something of that ilk. If you want a big car to ferry the kids about town in comfort, buy a 1.4 Kodiaq (I'd recommend the DSG) and enjoy it.
Our school run is 20 miles each way down country roads in rural Scotland, for me the diesel wins. We also get heavy snow in the winter (up to five foot) hence why we went for a 4x4. The majority of 4x4 owners don't need one, but that's another story.

#14 ·
I didn't want or need 4x4 but unfortunately Skoda saw fit to offer the sportline as 4x4 only (in case your comment is aimed at me).

I would say your school run is far from the norm. The OP stated short distance and since most schools are in towns and cities I've made an assumption here, hence my summary.

#15 ·
I live in Glasgow and the winters can be bad at times (gets less and less as the years wear on - may be global warming).
We average 9k annually so diesel was out of the question, I am not sure if the 4x4 would be needed so i didn't opt for it as we have done so well with the present car which isnt a 4x4.
I dont have mine delivered yet but i am hoping the 1.5 (should have been a 1.4) is gutsy enough for all our needs.
I am sure it would be for me, SWMBO is the problem, she pulls so fast from traffic lights, sometimes I wonder if the limits have gone up from 20-30mph.
I guess I'd findout when WLTP allows Skoda to ship the Bear.

#16 ·
The 150 petrol will be quicker off the mark than the diesel. I've not looked but I'd imagine the 0-60 time for the 150 petrol is quicker than the 150 diesel? Happy to be proved wrong.

0-30 is such a short time that you'd never see any difference. Trust me, you won't be disappointed with the petrol.

#17 ·
Jon Edwards said:
Colin Lambert said:
You surely drove the 1.4 125ps as that's world away from how I would compare mine with the 150 diesel that I test drove.

For what it's worth, if I was a teuchter that had to drive 20 miles to find civilisation I'd have a diesel as well.

#18 ·
Jon Edwards said:
Jon,
I think you must have driven the 125 BHP 1.4. either that or it was a duff one.
I don't remember any members here with the 1.4 150 bhp complaining about its power/speed?
The torque and ''overtakeability' of my 1.4 150 BHP DSG is more than adequate (I admit I have never had 7 peeps and a full load).
The way manufacturers always quote the 0-62 time really annoys me. It is irrelevant! What is far MORE important is the time taken during an overtake, say 40-60.
I have a friend with a BMW 430 twin turbo and he was astonished at the speed with which my 1.4 overtakes slower traffic, even from 50 or 60 mph

#20 ·
Zach said:
Must be horses for courses Colin. I found the 1.4 adequate but certainly lacklustre compared to the 2.0 TSI and TDI 190PS.
Well, yes. But the discussion was the comparison of 150 1.4 and 150 diesel, and whether that diesel was more lively.

Expectations and driving styles will always be different, and for some either of those engines will not be enough. Perhaps the solid point that can be made is just that the 1.4 punches way above what you'd normally expect of a 1.4. For some, that will still not be enough. For me, it's plenty - occasionally, I get out my treasured 1995 Benz (low mileage and in excellent order) and am always shocked at how lethargic its 2.2 litres feel, after the Kodiaq!

#22 ·
DaveM said:
Zach said:
Must be horses for courses Colin. I found the 1.4 adequate but certainly lacklustre compared to the 2.0 TSI and TDI 190PS.
Well, yes. But the discussion was the comparison of 150 1.4 and 150 diesel, and whether that diesel was more lively.

Expectations and driving styles will always be different, and for some either of those engines will not be enough. Perhaps the solid point that can be made is just that the 1.4 punches way above what you'd normally expect of a 1.4. For some, that will still not be enough. For me, it's plenty - occasionally, I get out my treasured 1995 Benz (low mileage and in excellent order) and am always shocked at how lethargic its 2.2 litres feel, after the Kodiaq!
I would expect the diesel to be more 'grunty' and the petrol to be lively/punchier than the diesel. We only just recently got the 150PS diesel here in NZ and there are very few, so can't comment as I've got no experience with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.