Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Phone Charging

23K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  hendohimself 
#1 ·
Am I to understand that assuming I buy a new iPhone 8 that the phone will now be charged wirelessly in the spot. The phone now supports Qi charging.

#3 ·
Will need to be careful if you get the 8 plus to see how well it fits in the charging box. Having trouble consistently charging my note 8 due to its size

#6 ·
My phone does not have wireless charging, however the improved signal would be welcome. In any case I will want to put my phone in during journeys.

Will the charging damage my phone? Can't find an answer on the internet, but presumably the magnetic field is always there to detect a phone?

#8 ·
JKSKodi said:
My phone does not have wireless charging, however the improved signal would be welcome.
That "improved signal" seems to be a gimmick in my case. When I put my phone [Samsung S7] in the Phone Box the signal gets actually weaker and people can barely hear me. I used it maybe few times and every time phone gets pretty hot from wireless charging. I avoid putting the phone there unless I really need to charge it.

#9 ·
I have found that the signal is better in the phone box.

Yes, the new iPhone does have wireless charging, only about 3 years after Samsung, cutting edge. Best part of £1k for a new iPhone.... No thanks.

#10 ·
#11 ·
Despite having recently retired from a career in IT I have never been a great fan of mobile phones. I'm still using my 5 year old Google Nexus 4 which has always supported QI inductive charging.
In the IT world there is always one company that is the superlative marketeer of its day, and so attracts a loyal, often fanatical following. Rarely however does their marketing excellence go hand in hand with technical excellence. Does anybody still remenber IBM?! Well they were superseded by Microsoft. Just so happens Apple have taken on the mantle; for now. But it won't last - it never does.

#12 ·
I bought an SEL, I don't know why I didn't go for the Edition :(

Has anyone considered any ideas for adding QI charging for SEL and below models? Also is there anyway to use the phone box boost feature in an SEL or below does anyone know?

#13 ·
#14 ·
Jon Edwards said:
I have found that the signal is better in the phonebox.
True. I am driving through a specific tunnel daily that is known as a location where the phone signal is dropped.

On Friday while driving home I made a test call with my best man while driving through that tunnel and having my iPhone in the phonebox. The whole call went uninterrupted.

#15 ·
I am not convinced of the phone box yet. It may make a marginal improvement ?

#18 ·
Hi. I have the Edition version of the Kodiaq which includes a wireless charging pad. Working well until now! For some reason it turns off the Bluetooth around 60 seconds after placing the phone on the pad. Bluetooth does not turn off if the phone is any where else in the car! Samsung S6. Has anyone experienced this?

#19 ·
Nope, my old S6 edge and the wife's S6 Edge both worked good as well as my S9. Maybe worth checking which version of Android you're using and update if required.

#20 ·
simondhyde said:
Hi. I have the Edition version of the Kodiaq which includes a wireless charging pad. Working well until now! For some reason it turns off the Bluetooth around 60 seconds after placing the phone on the pad. Bluetooth does not turn off if the phone is any where else in the car! Samsung S6. Has anyone experienced this?
They had a problem with the phone box a little while ago, it may be related.

#22 ·
Just acquired a note9
Took out the rubber mat in the phonebox
trimmed the two edging lips to limit the size of the phone with a sharp knife
Replaced the rubber mat
Problem solved

#23 ·
Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my Kodiaq Edition. I thought it came standard with wireless phone charging but it does not work? I've tried latest Samsung and iPhone and neither charge. I'm guessing I've got it wrong and the phonebox must have been an option? :?

#24 ·
m66dan said:
Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of my Kodiaq Edition. I thought it came standard with wireless phone charging but it does not work? I've tried latest Samsung and iPhone and neither charge. I'm guessing I've got it wrong and the phonebox must have been an option? :?
I understand new cars no longer have wireless charging / signal amplifier- it appears there were licencing issues with the amplifier - my new Edition doesn't have it either. So I bought this instead.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KCBVX6C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#26 ·
FYI, my new Kodiaq came with the wireless charging pad/box, and it works perfectly with my Samsung S7. Unfortunately, I don't expect it to get much use, as I will usually have Waze on the car's screen (using Android Auto), which means the phone has to be plugged in via USB anyway.
JR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.