DIY Towbar install with pics

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Inkarr

Re: DIY Towbar install with pics

Post by Inkarr » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 am

RCRCRC wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:12 am
I think the reason the factory retractor tow bar is so expensive is that it includes the Trailer Assist. The car parks the trailer where you want!
A huge party piece when you get to a camp sight!

You also get the self car park button together with the Trailer button with this option even if you did nor order self parking.
I have ordered the Electric deployable towbar and area view with trailer assist. I didn't bother with the additional park assist feature. I have the park assist feature on my current car and have used it once in the 3 years i have had it. Are you saying i will get the self park mode fitted as well even though i haven't added this option?
Kodiaq Edition 5 seater 2.0 (190) DSG in Petrol Blue.
Electric towbar, Heated windscreen and washers, Assistance Pack, Area view with trailer assist, Travel Assist, Childrens pack, Virtual pedal, Heated steering wheel

stevekhart

Post by stevekhart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Inkarr wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 am
I have ordered the Electric deployable towbar and area view with trailer assist. I didn't bother with the additional park assist feature. I have the park assist feature on my current car and have used it once in the 3 years i have had it. Are you saying i will get the self park mode fitted as well even though i haven't added this option?
No you need to specify park assist to get the self-park functionality - it requires the additional side sensors to operate. The trailer assist is only functional when a trailer is attached, however the area view is always available.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TDI 150 4x4 DSG 7 Str Petrol Blue, black leather, tow assist, heated rear seats, canton

Inkarr

Post by Inkarr » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:34 pm

stevekhart wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:06 pm
Inkarr wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:26 am
No you need to specify park assist to get the self-park functionality - it requires the additional side sensors to operate. The trailer assist is only functional when a trailer is attached, however the area view is always available.
Cheers again Steve. Makes sense. I just personally didn't see the point of the Park Assist for the money since i have never used it on my current car. i was always scared of it catching a high kerb as i was told my current vehicle uses other parked cars as a guide, although mine only deals with parallel parking. Systems may have got a lot more advanced in 3 years though but the area view will be good enough for me.
Kodiaq Edition 5 seater 2.0 (190) DSG in Petrol Blue.
Electric towbar, Heated windscreen and washers, Assistance Pack, Area view with trailer assist, Travel Assist, Childrens pack, Virtual pedal, Heated steering wheel

stevekhart

Post by stevekhart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:03 pm

I agree - I had the park assist on my superb and I used it half a dozen times in 8 years - I decided the tow assist and aerial view would be more useful, although had the factory slipped it in as part of the tow upgrade I would not have minded!
Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TDI 150 4x4 DSG 7 Str Petrol Blue, black leather, tow assist, heated rear seats, canton

Gwynvor

Post by Gwynvor » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:16 pm

H2UBS wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:40 pm
RCRCRC wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:12 am
I think the reason the factory retractor tow bar is so expensive is that it includes the Trailer Assist. The car parks the trailer where you want!
A huge party piece when you get to a camp sight!

You also get the self car park button together with the Trailer button with this option even if you did nor order self parking.
I thought the retractable towbar on it's own was an £850 option, but when included with trailer assist and area view is nearer £3000.
It will be a very nice surprise if mine arrives with trailer assist but I don't think so ;)
The factory fit tow bar does not include trailer assist.
SE L 2.0 TDI 150 2wd White, auto tow bar, front parking sensors, ACC. BW44 ordered 22/09/17. Car rejected awaiting replacement BW13 changed colour to quartz grey added heated windscreen.

BearNecessity

Post by BearNecessity » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Just to mention that I ordered the factory fit towbar and also ordered the trailer assist with area camera (with the trailer assist only being an extra £75 more than just the area view and parking sensors - why wouldn’t you!). On collecting the car the dealer told me that it also had Park Assist included. I thought he had made a mistake but in fact it does and he demo’d it too. Result was a £600 option we decided not to have!!
Either we were just lucky or it is something to do with adding the trailer assist and having to have the Park button on the dashboard. Either way I’m not complaining but can't guarantee this happens to everyone (or maybe it does?).
So £850 + £75 resulted in a factory fit retractable towbar (plus the extra cooling functionality and me not having to spend the weekend stripping down a brand new car), trailer assist and park assist - not so bad in the end.
2.0 DSG TSi Edition 7 seat in Quartz Grey, Panoramic Roof, ACC, Heated Screen/Rear Seats, Folding Towbar, Park/Trailer/Travel Assist, 360 Camera, Crew & Child Packs, Virtual Pedal, Ambient Lighting, Tri-zone climate, Road Sign Recognition

RockNTroll

Post by RockNTroll » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help, I just finishing installing a towbar to my Kodiaq which came with towbar preparation, so I did not have to dig from the boot to the fuse box. Still I have one question left on the wiring. Then I will post photos and comments of my installation.

How am I supposed to connect the 7 pins/7 wires to the Skoda 4 slot connector? It's not very clear on the picture below, but the towbar connector comes with 7 wires (two sets of wires on the left on the picture below):
- white to be connected to ground - easy
- red, yellow, blue, green , brown, black
and the Skoda connector comes with 4 slots (the connector hanging on the right on the picture below):
- red/yellow
- blue/brown
- brown/black
- green/black

That's just too much combinations even if you assume color matching.
Any idea? What kind of wiring did you have?

White SE, 1.4 TSI 150 AWD, June 21st 2018, towbar prep+rear camera+blind spot detection. Waiting for delivery

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:03 pm

RockNTroll wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:11 pm
I just finishing installing a towbar to my Kodiaq which came with towbar preparation
You are going to tow with a 1.4 TSI?
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Dr_Pepper

Post by Dr_Pepper » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:37 pm

Why wouldn't you tow with a 1.4 turbo? By all accounts they're an amazing engine

I have the 2.0 diesel 150 which is the same BHP as the 1.4 I think? I don't tow big caravans but it pulls my trailers fully loaded without me even knowing they're attached.

As for the actual question, sorry I can't help you but I hope someone can :)

RockNTroll

Post by RockNTroll » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:55 pm

So, here is my towbar installation documented and illustrated.

You will need torx screwdrivers (at least 3 different sizes) maybe one able to access corners (unless you want to undo the rear wheels) and a socket wrench or equivalent, and preferably also a torque wrench.

- First thing, we want to remove the bumper cover, that is the plastic bumper covering the metal bumper, which the towbar will replace.

Remove the ventilation grids on the left and right of the boot. Should see a white screw, un screw it to remove the lights. On the right side you should have a free connector hanging if you have towbar prep like me. Slide the light block toward the rear of the car and unplug the light connector.

The left ventilation hole after you remove the grid.

The light connector is unplugged, don't forget to slide the ride part with a screwdriver to unlock it.

Remove 3 screws behind each rear wheel

Maybe I should have cleaned the car before...

Then remove the 10 big screws under the bumper, plus 3 smalls with their socket

Big screws in red, small screws with socket in green.

Pull gently the plastic around the rear wheels. You can access the plastic parts attaching it from the inside of the bumper, squeeze them to ease them out. You don't have to remove the plastic part completely, just make sure you can access the first screw.

Once this is done, remove the screw (2 one at each wheel) you just revealed (in red in the above picture).

Now we remove the top 2 screws. They are hiding behind a clip on the side of the boot.

With the clip almost removed. Use a small screwdriver to get it out.

And there it is.

Last screws, are 2 plastic screws so be careful not to brake them (like I did). Be cautious and do not try to use a screwdriver, use a wrench to remove the nut, not the screw inside.
Remove the lip from the boot to reveal them.

Just pull the lip to get it out.

There it is. CAUTION: Do not try to use a screwdriver. Use a wrench to remove the nut, not the screw.

Now you are ready to pull out gently the bumper cover. I started from the wheels, made my way around where the lights were, uplugged the sensors and voilà.

This is the sensor connector, unplugged.

Now we are ready to remove the bumper and install the towbar. That will be another post, if you guys think it's interesting.

Cheers
Last edited by RockNTroll on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
White SE, 1.4 TSI 150 AWD, June 21st 2018, towbar prep+rear camera+blind spot detection. Waiting for delivery

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”