Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Electric folding wing mirrors

17K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  alan.field2 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm just about to order my new Kodiaq but couldn't quite work out if the SEL comes with electric folding wing mirrors - the Tech Spec says "Electrically adjustable, heated and foldable door mirrors with boarding spots"

But then one of the options is: "Electrically adjustable front seats with memory function, lumbar support and electrically folding door mirrors"

I'm confused! Any help would be much appreciated - thanks!

#4 ·
Yes, my SEL also has power folding mirrors as standard......and given the number of damaged wing mirrors I see around the streets it's a good job it has!!

#5 ·
Skoda has at last seen sense. You can now fold the mirrors up to 30mph. On my old Yeti they would not fold over 9mph. Apparently it was a 'safety function'. Which I think was damn silly as I very nearly got hit up the bum on numerous occasions.

#6 ·
The difference is the "memory function". When you set a seat position in the electric seat memory it also remembers the position of the door mirrors.

#7 ·
@ Guido - The SEL spec does indeed include electrically adjustable and folding door mirrors. But the Edition spec inludes as standard the option you refer to with the electrically adjustable front seats with memory function, lumbar support and electrically folding door mirrors".

This is really only of benefit if more than one person regularly drives the car since the facility allows personal seat and mirror positions to be stored and quickly recovered by pressing one of the preset buttons.

I'm 5'11" and the only driver. The only benefit to me is when my car is serviced by a much smaller engineer/driver. They never, ever put the seat and mirrors back where they found them.

Sorry gojoholo - you beat me to it.

#8 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Skoda has at last seen sense. You can now fold the mirrors up to 30mph. On my old Yeti they would not fold over 9mph. Apparently it was a 'safety function'. Which I think was damn silly as I very nearly got hit up the bum on numerous occasions.
I don't understand. Why would you want to fold the mirrors on the move? (Even ignoring the fact that it would be illegal not to have at least one external mirror, on a car built nowadays.)

#11 ·
I have 2 very narrow bridges that I go through frequently.
1 one car wide with narrow pavement one side and brick wall on the other.
Other bridge the same apart from 2 cars wide.
Both bridges can be seen through and therefore driven through without stopping, only slowing down.
In the days before folding mirrors I had one smashed by oncoming idiot who swerved over the centre of bridge 2 and removed my door mirror.
Basically, I fold 'on the fly' to avoid idiots and wall in bridge 2 and brickwork in bridge one.
Bridge 2 is on a main road, so to stop, or even slow down to 9mph to fold mirrors would almost certainly cause a problem to following traffic.
No Skoda that I know of will fold out automatically at any speed. You have to twiddle the knob.
My 3 Saabs & Merc A class could be folded up to 30mph and would unfold automatically on reaching 30mph.
Understand why now?

#14 ·
I take it the mirrors are foldable off the remote, or is it different being keyless?

#15 ·
wheelwright said:
I take it the mirrors are foldable off the remote, or is it different being keyless?
The mirrors fold in automatically when you lock the car and fold out when you unlock the car.
When driving the car you can fold the mirrors in/out using the toggle button for mirror adjustments that's found in the driver's door.

This toggle is also used for heating the wing mirrors, btw. Not that we need that right now. But if you weren't in the know and all that...

Attachments

#16 ·
Addendum:
In that same chapter of the manual it confirms that the mirrors will revert to fold out position when the vehicle reaches a speed of 9m/h (approx. 15 km/h).

@Colin hinted earlier in this thread that this limit may have been increased to 30 m/h (approx 50 km/h) in recent firmware updates.

#17 ·
iwarv said:
Addendum:
In that same chapter of the manual it confirms that the mirrors will revert to fold out position when the vehicle reaches a speed of 9m/h (approx. 15 km/h).

*Colin hinted earlier in this thread that this limit may have been increased to 30 m/h (approx 50 km/h) in recent firmware updates.
Nothing to do with firmware update.
My car was one of the first 6 on the road on 6th April 2017.
My wing mirrors have ALWAYS folded up to 30mph and will NEVER unfold automatically at any speed. (the only automatically unfolding mirrors I have ever come across were my 3X 9-3 Saab Convertibles and my MB A class Elegance.
If the later models are different then it is a ridiculous retrograde step, going back to the 2015 and previous Yeti!
*BTW I am NOT @ Colin! :twisted: I really CANNOT see the point of @names. I don't use Twatter or Farcebook. :lol: So it is a pointless form of address as far as I am concerned.

#18 ·
Apologies for misquoting. I must do better at reading. Less haste, more accuracy.
For the record; you compared the Kodiaq with the Yeti.

Salient - however - that the Kodiaq user manual claims to auto fold-out at 9 m/h like the Yeti, whereas you discovered that Skoda does so at 30 m/h.

Also apologies for decorating your name. That habit is not just a twitter thing though. Other forums I have used over the years attribute significance to decorated names.

But not this forum, so I shall endeavour to cease and desist.

#19 ·
Ta everso! :lol:
None of my Yetis ever folded OUT at any speed. The 9mph was the speed you had to drop down to to fold them IN.
TG that Skoda have now seen sense and allow folding up to 30 (at least on mine!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.