Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
darkKnight54

Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

Post by darkKnight54 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:22 pm

So iv just visited the local Hand Carwash and upon returning, to my horror, the chrome bits are really badly pitted. (will qualify 'pitted' with i cant actually feel any depressions)

I thoughts it was just soap/wax but hasnt wiped clear with a rag, I then tried AutoGlym wax with fibre cloth, waited a while before buffing and still nothing. Looks really bad, im on a lease as well so this wont go down well.

Anyone know what it might be or how to remove, I hope its not harsh jetwash thats effectively gone through some of the chrome like plating.

eee2712.jpg

IMG_20180624_202656.jpg

IMG_20180624_202652.jpg

IMG_20180624_202640.jpg

Last shot is the good side (other side they didn't seem to do as bad / not noticeable)

IMG_20180624_202720.jpg

Colin Lambert

Re: Pitting on chrome bits after hand/carwash

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am

Somebody else complained about this last week. I can't remember who, but I wonder if you both use the car wash.
I am always a bit suspish about hand car washes. I always use IMO. They have a non scratch guarantee and for a number 2 wash which includes manual pre jetwash, wheel scrub and blowdry all for £5. I really can't be bothered to DIY. I have used IMO for years and they have never done any harm to any of my cars.
If you had put your location on your profile I could have told you if there is one near you (that's why we ask for location ;) )
So you'll have to find it yourself I'm afraid! :lol:
https://www.imocarwash.com/gb/search-re ... =UK%20wide
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

darkKnight54

Post by darkKnight54 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:53 am

Iv updated my Location :)

Pjmartin

Post by Pjmartin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:26 pm

I've experienced the same thing and several people have complained about it.
My thought is to possibly wrap them in either black or chrome vinyl?

If they get damaged again, it would be a simple case of peeling off the damaged section of vinyl film.

I don't think it was the car wash, many others who have washed their own cars have also mentioned the same isssues.

To me it's a manufacturing issue and there's no real reference to it in the owners manual either.
2.0Ltr Edition 190 DSG 7 Seats, Candy White
Optional extras:
Fully loaded. :)

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Well if it is a manufacturing fault. I will put a £10 note on it that Skoda says, " We know nuffink about that mate, so it doesn't exist!"
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Pjmartin

Post by Pjmartin » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Well oddly enough, I spoke to the salesman who sold me my car and he said “not another one! We’ve had a few of these lately on the Kodiaq and superb”

I’ve asked him to look into replacing for the Sportline trim instead.
2.0Ltr Edition 190 DSG 7 Seats, Candy White
Optional extras:
Fully loaded. :)

stryder

Post by stryder » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Had the same problem, solved with Autosol Chrome plastic polish.

2017 Kodiaq 1.4 TSI - DSG - Grey Quarz - Style+

StephenL

Post by StephenL » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:00 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am
Somebody else complained about this last week. I can't remember who, but I wonder if you both use the car wash.
I am always a bit suspish about hand car washes. I always use IMO. They have a non scratch guarantee and for a number 2 wash which includes manual pre jetwash, wheel scrub and blowdry all for £5. I really can't be bothered to DIY. I have used IMO for years and they have never done any harm to any of my cars.
If you had put your location on your profile I could have told you if there is one near you (that's why we ask for location ;) )
So you'll have to find it yourself I'm afraid! :lol:
https://www.imocarwash.com/gb/search-re ... =UK%20wide
Used to use IMO when we had the doubtful privilege of living near Watford - good washes. Now our nearest is about 40 miles away. Come to think of it, there are NO car washes within 15 miles.

No pitting on my chrome trim - don’t have any except front grille. :mrgreen:
Kodiaq 1.4 Tsi 2wd DSG SE Black, black leather heated seats, Canton, mood lighting, spare wheel, kessy, rear camera (3rd party fitted)

tomix

Post by tomix » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 am

These are water stains. After washing the vehicle, the chrome strips were not enough dried. After one day on direct sunlight the stain are etched in the trims clear coat. They can only be removed by polishing.
Kodiaq 2.0 TDI 150 hp, Style plus, DSG, 7 seats, Business grey

gojoholo

Post by gojoholo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:07 am

tomix wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:31 am
These are water stains.
Microfibre towels are great for drying the car. Stops these sort of stains from happening.
2.0 TSI Edition, 7 seat, Black with Beige Leather
ACC, Pan. roof, LED Light pack ,Canton, Heated rear seats, Heated w/s + washer jets , spare wheel, Front and rear parking sensors, heated steering wheel, Rear view camera

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”