Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Towing Caravan.

11K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  stephendutton1963 
#1 ·
I purchased the Kodiaq primarily for towing our caravan, it is a light weight compared to some 1350, kilo, and why I chose a automatic. I used it a couple of weeks ago mixed driving, but mainly motorway, where cruise control used. 80 motorway miles, 40 through town. The average fuel consumption was 22 miles to the gallon, I expected more than this, the auto driving mode, set at normal, so is this going to be the best I will achieve?
Prior to the Kodiaq I had a Superb, and it was, great mileage, 35 mpg but not quite heavy enough for the van, hence the upgrade. I was at least expectation the same from the Kodiaq, any advice please.

#4 ·
I am off to Scotland next Monday, but a slight detour to Morecambe, most of the journey will be on the motorway [ M6 ] and the A74, I think it is to Castle Douglas, so interesting to see what mpg I obtain. If I get 30 + I will be happy, perhaps because it is the auto its a bit heavy on fuel. I hope not as its a dream to drive.
I changed the Superb, because last year coming up the A1 onto the M62 towing our caravan, we were diverted off onto the A628, all stop start until we reached Hollinworth-near Stockport. The clutch went light, smoke started pouring out from under the bonnet, nowhere to pull over, eventually joined the M60 at Stockport. Once on the motorway the engine got some air going through it, the car recovered, and we reached home.
Skoda found a fault with the clutch and release bearing, renewed them under warranty,On our next trip, it didn't feel right , plus we could still smell the smoke, so changed it for the heavier Kodiak. They didn't have the model I wanted, the 2 litre diesel edition, so decided on the 190 auto, 7 seats .

#5 ·
Hi

I towed 1500kg mptml (or whatever it is lol) with my 4x4 150 diesel to France last year and got around 30.
Suppose the 190 is always going to use a bit more juice but 22 sounds low.

What sort of speed do you travel at? I generally keep around or just under 60.

#7 ·
I tow a Compass Rallye at 1365kg MIRO and have done around 3k miles now towing and probably 80% of which on UK and Euro motorways with CC set at 60mph when traffic permits. Consistently achieve 26.5-28.5 mpg .. never hit the 30's yet on a run. Very happy with it as a tow car.

#8 ·
We average around 30 to 32 mpg when towing a van with 1276 kg MTPLM (MIRO = 1135) - similar to our 104 bhp TDi Octavia 2wd. The Octavia was a good towcar, especially given it's relatively low kerb weight. However, everything is more effortless in the Kodiaq. Interestingly, mpg was better in the Octavia when solo, but not when towing.

#9 ·
We have a 190bhp diesel DSG Kodiaq and tow a Sprite Major 6 with it, weighing around about 1450kg, generally we get low 30s when towing. I tend to use cruise control when possible and sit at around about 60mph, so yes 22mpg seems very low to me.

#13 ·
There's at least one person here that tows with a 2.0 tsi. I have a 2.0tsi as well with which I will tow my caravan for the first time next month. I don't envisage any problems with it in regard to power, but I do expect the mpg figures to be really low as they're not brilliant in normal usage.
I don't do massive mileage when towing so I can accept low mpg. Had I been a high mileage caravan tower, I'd likely have bought a diesel.

#16 ·
I have actually just started to tow with a 2.0 TSI , mainly bought because i don't tow all the time and i prefer the refinement of petrol.
Wasn't a long journey and i did not bother to clock the consumption on the cars computer.
But what i will say, is in my limited towing experience ( previously towed with a Tiguan 2.0 TSI ) its a decent tow car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.