Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Real MPG!?

46K views 71 replies 41 participants last post by  Damson2GiN 
#1 ·
Hi all, I was looking at the website : http://www.nextgreencar.com . They have "Real MPG " figures based on their algorithm of 40mpg for the 2.0 TDI 150hp DSG (7 seat) and 32.6 mpg for the 1.4 TSi 125 hp (7 Seat). See links below.
http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/62265/skoda-kodiaq-1.4-tsi-se-125ps-7-seat-petrol-manual-6-speed/
http://www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/62284/skoda-kodiaq-2.0-tdi-scr-se-150ps-dsg-7-seat-diesel-semi-automatic-7-speed/

I would like to see other forum members comments on these figures. Are they likely to be realistic based on what you know about these engines and size of the cars.

#27 ·
My 1.4 150PS DSG has now done 5,300 miles. We just drove from UK to south of France and back. Fuel economy is showing long term 33.4mpg. When driving in at 65mph the car averages 40-42mpg, over 70mph it does about 36, over 80mph around 30mpg. I normally drive the car around London and it averages 35mpg. I have seen no noticeable increase in fuel economy as the miles have increased.

#28 ·
My economy has improved with time . The biggest change was getting rid of the absurd 19" rims. I'm on 17" OEM steels (there's a thread in the tyre section with a photo of how that all looks) and now averaging in high 40s and low 50s if I am really trying.

#29 ·
Just gone a 160 km (100 miles) trip from the capital city (Helsinki) to the old capital (Turku) and returned the same way back. The speed limit during the winter time is 100 km/h, that is 62 mph, a four lane Motorway from beginning to end.

Average Consumption according to the Skoda App was 5,4 l/100 km. According to converter that's 52 mpg (Imperial Gallons).

Not bad, I suppose - especially during the winter time, which has been +- zero degrees Celsius! The MPG should go down a bit, as the engine loosens and spring times (warmer weathers) come, I suppose..?

Driving a new Kodiaq TDi 150 4x4 with 1200 km on the odometer. More than pleased with the comsumption, even at this stage!

#30 ·
My normal commute is 108 miles each way and sticking to speed limits I achieve 52mpg in eco mode and 49.5mpg in normal. Using a light right foot, fan heating only (no AC) and cruise control when on motorway/A road.

Around town short runs happy if I break in to the 40's

#31 ·
Sharms said:
My normal commute is 108 miles each way and sticking to speed limits I achieve 52mpg in eco mode and 49.5mpg in normal. Using a light right foot, fan heating only (no AC) and cruise control when on motorway/A road.

Around town short runs happy if I break in to the 40's
Hi Sharms - are you 4x4 or 2wd?

#33 ·
Well, having now clocked over 2000 miles in my 1.4 150BHP manual 4x4, I can now say that economy really is not it's strong point.... :D
Lots of mixed driving, town, motorway etc and the fuel gauge has a tendency to start moving towards empty quicker than I would have hoped.
It would, probably, give my 5 ltr Pontiac a run for it's money.
Obviously, the way I drive the car will be highly influential in what it can deliver in MPG, I don't hang about in it and I prefer the sport setting but, for me, I would have to say that it is a tad disappointing, I was not expecting epic MPG but I was expecting slightly better.
In saying all of that, If I have gone out and thrown over £27K on a car, I cannot carp about fuel consumption, I can afford the fuel.
What I would say, in all honesty, is that IF you are buying on a PCP deal and the dealer is giving you a guaranteed future value, go for the diesel.
Really, go for the diesel.
New diesels are not likely to be banned from city centres and the tax rate for them will not suddenly go mental, it is not a vote winner.
The diesel is dead but not quite yet, perhaps.

#34 ·
Driving in sport mode will guzzle fuel at an extraordinary rate.
I don't even know why they have a sport mode on an SUV.

#35 ·
Sharms said:
2wd

I got 52.8mpg on my run from London to UWE Glenside on Friday
I'm just surprised at how little difference there is in the economy of the petrol 1.4 150 and the 2.0 tdi 150 on a run.

IMO other than towing, I can't see how diesels can be justified.

#36 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Driving in sport mode will guzzle fuel at an extraordinary rate.
I don't even know why they have a sport mode on an SUV.
Ive tried all modes, even the individual settings and Sport suits me better.
It sharpens the car up considerably.
Horses for courses and all that.

#39 ·
According to the Yanks who invented the term SUV, it does NOT stand for 'Boy racer vehicle'.
The SPORT means suitable for DOING sports in. i:e. Surfing, shooting, cycling, country pursuits etc.
Not driving a 30cwt brick like a lunatic. Whilst burning unnecessary quantities of expensive petrol.😉

#40 ·
Colin Lambert said:
According to the Yanks who invented the term SUV, it does NOT stand for 'Boy racer vehicle'.
The SPORT means suitable for DOING sports in. i:e. Surfing, shooting, cycling, country pursuits etc.
Not driving a 30cwt brick like a lunatic. Whilst burning unnecessary quantities of expensive petrol.😉
Yes, my little joke!

Seriously, though, I don't think having a sport mode means we have to drive like a lunatic.
Having in my youth had my share of V8s, Jags and turboed-up Saabs, I nowadays drive for maximum economy and smoothness, and minmum personal stress. However, if I were on a twisty alpine pass, waiting patiently to get past a slow-moving tractor, I'd definitely be waiting in sport mode - anyone waiting in eco would be the lunatic.

#42 ·
vesku said:
You can't expect 1.4 liter SUV to be sporty at any mode.
True enough!

I suppose we're talking "sportier", here. After all, compared with a decent lightweight Ferrari, even a 280bhp Kodiaq is never going to be a sports car.

On the other hand, a 1.4-liter Kodiaq would leave a 1.5-litre Triumph Spitfire in the dust ...

#43 ·
vesku said:
You can't expect 1.4 liter SUV to be sporty at any mode.
Engine capacity is a misleading indicator of power in modern cars. F1 cars are only 1.6.

I do think of an SUV as 'sportier' too, as DaveM put it. The non-sport version is an MPV.

#45 ·
Well, for the first time since owning the car, i had the full seven seats in use, 6 adults and 1 5 month old Granddaughter.
A 200 mile round trip of, mainly fast ( ish ) A roads and Motorway and the fuel consumption wasnt too bad at all, I had switched to 'normal mode' for the journey.
The real point here is that the car performed brilliantly fully loaded. Power and performance is quite brilliant tbh, most of the time you would really not have known you had a fully loaded car.
Anybody considering the 150bhp Petrol 7 seater and are worried about its ability to pull along, well, don't, its bloody brilliant.
Ive just realised that i've used the word 'brilliant' quite a bit.
Well it is.

#46 ·
Very True! I think Eco on the Kodiaq is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot!.
It is a pain in the @rse and doesn't save any fuel that I can see.
Sport mode Hurts my automotive sensibilities. Constant (almost) red lining a 1398 cc engine pulling a 30cwt brick can do it no good whatsoever and it guzzles fuel.
Being very old ;) and having driven nearly all my life for business covering 1/4 of England I must admit to now being a 'comfort' driver.
I don't really worry about fuel consumption that much. But like everything else at my age I just want a peaceful life with as little stress as possible! ButI don't dawdle. Nobody behind me will be getting irate at my lack of progress!
I am Police trained to class 2 level and live by the quote in the Police driving handbook, that the aim is to get from A to B as quickly as is SAFELY possible!

#47 ·
Only driven 558km (347 miles) so far and averaging 8.6L/100km (32.85 mpg UK). Best fuel efficiency was 6.9L/100km (40.94 mpg UK) on a 195 km (121 mile) trip.

#48 ·
Fear Not.
VAG engines tend to loosen up at about 4-5K miles, at which time the consumption will improve. (well in my 5 Skodas it has anyway!)

#50 ·
Colin Lambert said:
Fear Not.
VAG engines tend to loosen up at about 4-5K miles, at which time the consumption will improve. (well in my 5 Skodas it has anyway!)
Looking forward to that :) My old car was averaging 10L/100km (28.25mpg UK) since I switched to winter tyres in November so this is an improvement.

#51 ·
Will I'm 5000 miles in in this motor, it has improved slightly to 37-38 mpg. Long runs make little difference either, every now and again i can get 42mpg driving like a nun but why would you in a tdi 190?

Short runs and it's 27mpg, so she has a little like of the tipple it seems.... and on a fast motorway run I don't even look at fuel economy, I just make sure it full before I start and wait for the light ( and it will come on soon enough lol). On a plus point the nectar and Tesco points balance is looking good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.