I wonder what this will do for Skoda's plans?

The place to discuss everything else..
Colin Lambert

I wonder what this will do for Skoda's plans?

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:46 am

ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

FoxtrotAlpha

Re: I wonder what this will do for Skoda's plans?

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 pm

I agree with it. I know many people who went for the Outlander PHEV as a company card as its BIK's is only 5%. If they 30 miles out of a charge they are happy so most of the time they are running about in a big car drinking fuel. It would be cheaper and more economic to run a Euro 6 diesel and the environmental benefits are not significantly different.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:29 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:05 pm
I agree with it. I know many people who went for the Outlander PHEV as a company card as its BIK's is only 5%. If they 30 miles out of a charge they are happy so most of the time they are running about in a big car drinking fuel. It would be cheaper and more economic to run a Euro 6 diesel and the environmental benefits are not significantly different.
I agree with this completely. They need to be putting this money towards actual solutions rather than half arsed box ticks.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:29 pm

As an Ex PHEV owner (private) I could not cope with the ruination of driving fun. Trying to constantly calculate the most 'battery saving' route to go anywhere. On a cross country run, non motorway, it would do 55mpg . Not bad at all for a 2 ton 'brick'.
Going out at 22.00 to disconnect it after a 5 hour charge from flat Just to find it was P'ing down, as I stood there drying the cable and putting it in the boot. I owned it for 6 long winter months, after which I could stand it no more!! (You can't risk leaving connected over night. The cables cost over £300 and are often pinched by Non PHEV owning little oyks, simply to flog on Ebay!!
I did reconsider another one to replace the Kodiaq, but woke up in a sweat thinking of range anxiety. That stopped the the thought process!! :lol:
I enjoy proper driving too much. So bought the Karoq.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:43 pm

You're talking about the removal of all grants for hybrids.
Do you also agree that it's a good decision to reduce the grant for full electrics from £4500 to £3500?

I happen to think that is a big step backwards.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:07 pm

iwarv wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:43 pm
You're talking about the removal of all grants for hybrids.
Do you also agree that it's a good decision to reduce the grant for full electrics from £4500 to £3500?

I happen to think that is a big step backwards.
Full electric isn't the answer either, so yes.

Until we're charging cars with clean energy then it's a white elephant. Add to that we don't and will never have the infrastructure to make it work. How will the many millions in terraced streets and apartments charge their cars? How will we cope with motorway journeys? Our current service stations wouldn't cope even if they had an EV charging point at every parking space.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm

Hugh Fanism wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:29 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
I agree with this completely. They need to be putting this money towards actual solutions rather than half arsed box ticks.
At this time electric is only a solution for people who make short trips and have the facility to charge it. I cant charge one at home even if I wanted too. As do many.

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm
Hugh Fanism wrote:
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
At this time electric is only a solution for people who make short trips and have the facility to charge it. I cant charge one at home even if I wanted too. As do many.
My point is that it's running on leccy that comes from fossil fields. It's all manner of stupid. It's not sustainable, so just a quick fix rather than a solution.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:46 pm

Hugh Fanism wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Hugh Fanism wrote:

My point is that it's running on leccy that comes from fossil fields. It's all manner of stupid. It's not sustainable, so just a quick fix rather than a solution.

I totally agree, there are also environmental concerns regarding the materials and manufacture of the batteries. I believe Nissan and a couple of others are still working on hydrogen fuel cells which sounds promising.

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:28 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:46 pm
Hugh Fanism wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

I totally agree, there are also environmental concerns regarding the materials and manufacture of the batteries. I believe Nissan and a couple of others are still working on hydrogen fuel cells which sounds promising.
I think the Japanese are going big on it and I can't help but think it's the real answer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mirai

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”