Start/stop Bullsh*it?

The place to discuss everything else..
Vaclav^2

Re: Start/stop Bullsh*it?

Post by Vaclav^2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 pm

sparkymark wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am
Had CVT recently on a Toyota Prius+ 7 seater, and hated it (car was good just the Auto box was terrible) ....slow, noisy and terrible acceleration if it wasn't in 'sport' mode....even then it struggled up hills in Devon!!

Must admit I'm going off the stop/start system too, as it always turns itself off just as I'm about to accelerate on to a roundabout.
Sport mode on a CVT? How would that work? Sounds like they tried to create artificial “gears” on a device that doesn’t need them.

It was absolutely awesome mated to our 3.5V6 on the Nissan Murano. Pure and simple, no gear changes and constant acceleration.

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Vaclav^2 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:00 pm
sparkymark wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:27 am
Had CVT recently on a Toyota Prius+ 7 seater, and hated it (car was good just the Auto box was terrible) ....slow, noisy and terrible acceleration if it wasn't in 'sport' mode....even then it struggled up hills in Devon!!

Must admit I'm going off the stop/start system too, as it always turns itself off just as I'm about to accelerate on to a roundabout.
Sport mode on a CVT? How would that work? Sounds like they tried to create artificial “gears” on a device that doesn’t need them.

It was absolutely awesome mated to our 3.5V6 on the Nissan Murano. Pure and simple, no gear changes and constant acceleration.
Sport mode just raises the revs a couple of notches to make it a little bit punchier. Nissan have simulated gear changes with their Xtronic CVT and even added in manual "gear" changes. It apparently works well but I'm not sure why they're pretending it's something it isn't. The Murano, now there's a car I'd have liked.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

Vaclav^2

Post by Vaclav^2 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:28 pm

It’s a shame they don’t do that car any longer in the U.K. it was one of our favourites ever. And yet there were electronic lockup points which artificially simulated “gears”. The proper way to drive with those was when descending off-road to avoid having to use the brakes. There was no use for them in other driving situations. Iirc the manual described it use for that purpose only. What was a shame is that it didn’t work like with Daf; what I mean is that you could go as fast in reverse as you could going forward :)

kodibliaq

Post by kodibliaq » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 am

Theres nothing worse than waiting for your gap to pull out.. mashing the accelerator.. and you go nowhere and miss your opportunity because the engine has to rumble into life. Those split seconds matter in the real world.

The system is also dumb. It doesn't really know where you are. If your just pulling up at traffic lights that ok. But if you are simple crawling in traffic and it keeps cutting out its an annoyance. I don't own my Skoda yet but experience is from my VW. The first thing I do every time i get in my car is turn off the stop/start which annoyingly does not remember the setting so has to be done every time I set off If i want to get about safely.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 pm

kodibliaq wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 am
Theres nothing worse than waiting for your gap to pull out.. mashing the accelerator.. and you go nowhere and miss your opportunity because the engine has to rumble into life. Those split seconds matter in the real world.
If those split seconds really do matter to you, then simply tap the throttle when you spot the gap approaching and the engine restarts. Then when you’re ready to pull out into the gap, push the throttle more firmly and the brake releases and you pull away.

It really doesn’t take long to get used to.

Personally I quite like the hushed quiet when the engine shuts down in a queue. And I care not one iota how long it stays off for as the ECU is doing the job of keeping an eye on battery voltage and whether the A/C pump needs power for me.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

kodibliaq

Post by kodibliaq » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:51 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 pm
kodibliaq wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:35 am
If those split seconds really do matter to you, then simply tap the throttle when you spot the gap approaching and the engine restarts. Then when you’re ready to pull out into the gap, push the throttle more firmly and the brake releases and you pull away.

It really doesn’t take long to get used to.

Personally I quite like the hushed quiet when the engine shuts down in a queue. And I care not one iota how long it stays off for as the ECU is doing the job of keeping an eye on battery voltage and whether the A/C pump needs power for me.
Thanks mrTrilby. I don't know how well that would work. If you press the go pedal first in an auto the auto handbrake is released. I don't know how effective trying to fight it with the brakes would be. I've had 3 year to get used to it. I could get used to steering with my feet but don't make it a good idea.
I agree about shutting it off for a bit of quiet. I manually push the stop/start to turn the engine off if i know I'll be a standstill for some time. That break from vibration and noise is welcome on long drives.

Vaclav^2

Post by Vaclav^2 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:27 pm

You don't have to press it, just a gentle tap is sufficient to 'prime' the engine and make it wake up again. The auto hold doesn't get release at that stage. Then when you can go, just press the loud pedal full throttle style and off you go.

It works just fine in my tuned 367Hp plus throttle tune without setting off, so in the sluggish engines (by comparison :)) of the Kodiaq there is no issue at all. It was exactly the same in the TDI 190 for me.

It is all about gentle footwork, it is all electronic anyway so no need to stamp on any of the pedal. Gentle braking avoids it kicking in unnecessary, and with a little gentle tap you can start it before you go.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:17 pm

Hugh Fanism wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Sport mode just raises the revs a couple of notches to make it a little bit punchier. Nissan have simulated gear changes with their Xtronic CVT and even added in manual "gear" changes. It apparently works well but I'm not sure why they're pretending it's something it isn't. The Murano, now there's a car I'd have liked.
Honda, & At least Subaru if not others have inserted 'stops' in the CVT system. which gives the impression of gears. Basically it just moves the belt in increments, rather than simply 'sliding' up and down the pulleys.
Any CVT fitted car with flappy paddles and that is most of them, have predetermined 'gears' even SWMBO's 2012 Honda Jazz, whose CVT works brilliantly, does not scream it's nuts off on hard acceleration. There is an awful lot of cr@p written by people who have not driven a CVT since the original DAF. The modern CVT is a brilliant piece of kit. Subaru's latest Forester has received plaudits from reviewers for being the best gearbox for the car that it could have.
The ignorati (mainly magazine reviewers) who trash the CVT obviously don't have the brains to realise that if the so-called 'screaming engine' syndrome really bothers you, all you have to do is use the paddles and go up a gear or two.
I tried this on SWMBO's Jazz this morning and it works a treat, although her Jazz, at least, is not a screamer.
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Hugh Fanism

Post by Hugh Fanism » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:29 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:17 pm
Hugh Fanism wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Honda, & At least Subaru if not others have inserted 'stops' in the CVT system. which gives the impression of gears. Basically it just moves the belt in increments, rather than simply 'sliding' up and down the pulleys.
Any CVT fitted car with flappy paddles and that is most of them, have predetermined 'gears' even SWMBO's 2012 Honda Jazz, whose CVT works brilliantly, does not scream it's nuts off on hard acceleration. There is an awful lot of cr@p written by people who have not driven a CVT since the original DAF. The modern CVT is a brilliant piece of kit. Subaru's latest Forester has received plaudits from reviewers for being the best gearbox for the car that it could have.
The ignorati (mainly magazine reviewers) who trash the CVT obviously don't have the brains to realise that if the so-called 'screaming engine' syndrome really bothers you, all you have to do is use the paddles and go up a gear or two.
I tried this on SWMBO's Jazz this morning and it works a treat, although her Jazz, at least, is not a screamer.
I had a CVT in my 2014 Nissan Note. It wasn't terrible but I'm not a huge fan of the stretchy elasticity of the gas when you press it. I certainly wouldn't have one again.
1.4 DSG SE L, council blue, acc.
"Johnny ain't so crazy, he's always got a line for the ladies"

Swindiaq

Post by Swindiaq » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:23 pm

I had a Toyota Auris with CVT. Ruined the car for me with all the revving.
2017 SE L / 1.4 TSI 2wd DSG / 7seat / black everything / Canton / front sensors / rear cam / ACC / traffic recog / Williams ceramic protection

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”