Towing with a 2.0L 180bhp TSI

The place to discuss everything else..
old man

Re: Towing with a 2.0L 180bhp TSI

Post by old man » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:44 am

We're singing from the same hymn sheet then :D . I always have a look at Street View if we find a new site and avoid those with difficult access.
Trouble is, we like CL sites and many of those seem to have poor access. :shock:
Before we bought our first tourer 5 years ago, my wife wanted a static. I wouldn't contemplate it due to associated costs and going to the same place time after time. Since then we've found a great touring site that suits our every need which is an easy drive, relatively speaking.

We would happily seasonally pitch our tourer there if we could, but unfortunately it's not allowed. :cry:
I think that during the winter, we're gonna look for a seasonal pitch for next year, but I'm doubtful we'll find one that has everything we need.

Should we be doing this on a caravan forum ?? ;)

Alan Chapple

Post by Alan Chapple » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:40 am

old man wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:44 am
We're singing from the same hymn sheet then :D . I always have a look at Street View if we find a new site and avoid those with difficult access.
Trouble is, we like CL sites and many of those seem to have poor access. :shock:
Before we bought our first tourer 5 years ago, my wife wanted a static. I wouldn't contemplate it due to associated costs and going to the same place time after time. Since then we've found a great touring site that suits our every need which is an easy drive, relatively speaking.

We would happily seasonally pitch our tourer there if we could, but unfortunately it's not allowed. :cry:
I think that during the winter, we're gonna look for a seasonal pitch for next year, but I'm doubtful we'll find one that has everything we need.

Should we be doing this on a caravan forum ?? ;)
As a family, we, my brother and parents had a static for years but eventually gave it up because as you rightly point out, monthly fees even if no one was using it were ridiculous, roughly £250 per month iirc.

We've had a tourer for about 10 years now and tend to rotate between just 2 or 3 sites we like and know suit us now, and yep we too have started looking into a seasonal pitch too, I know the site near North Berwick we particularly like defo has seasonal pitches but I've never asked for any further detail yet.

Maybe admin could set something permanent up for those of us who use our Kodiaq as a towcar, it would help keep all the towing, touring, caravan type queries together in one place and stop up clogging up the main forum with queries I'm sure many ppl aren't remotely interested in too.
2.0 TDI 190bhp, Edition, 4x4, DSG, Quartz Grey

old man

Post by old man » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:48 am

Maybe admin could set something permanent up for those of us who use our Kodiaq as a towcar, it would help keep all the towing, touring, caravan type queries together in one place and stop up clogging up the main forum with queries I'm sure many ppl aren't remotely interested in too.

Sounds like a plan to me. I imagine there's several people who buy the Kodiak with towing in mind.

Hillhound

Post by Hillhound » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:52 pm

My Superb was a dsg as is my Kodiaq.
It makes towing so easy! You don’t need to mess about with tiptronic, sports box etc, just stick it in drive and go.
I also regularly tow a large 2 axle trailer with an automatic Freelander. I would only buy dsg/auto for towing.
Kodiaq Edition, Quartz Grey, 190 dsg 4x4, towbar, ambient lighting, Canton Sound. On the road since 22 May 2017

duncanlowe

Post by duncanlowe » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:24 pm

I haven't towed with ours yet, but am surprised that anyone is saying its not the best tow car. I've towed for the last 6 years with a Superb Mk2 and it was the best tow car ever, better even than Discoverys I had some years ago. Slightly heavier, less rear overhang, and better nose weight made me expect it was going to be better than the Superb. I'll see on Wednesday when I tow the 'van to the dealers for a new axle.
Kodiaq 190 Edition 4x4 DSG 5 seat in a rather fetching shade of velvet red. From Stafford, England.

old man

Post by old man » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:30 am

but am surprised that anyone is saying its not the best tow car.

When I wrote that comment it was based on a test report I'd read, which stated that the Kodiaq was less stable that the tester would have liked when towing on a motorway.
Things are not always as you might expect them to be though.
I towed my current van with a Superb estate. It was a very stable combination , especially on motorways. I thought that when I changed it for a Hyundai Santa Fe, the Hyundai would make an even better tow car.

How wrong I was ! Whilst being a bit more powerful than the Superb, it didn't feel like it whilst towing ( or when not towing as well), and on motorways when overtaking lorries, and especially when being passed by white van man at the same time, it was very unnerving at times.

I don't really think that the Hyundai was a bad tow car, it just didn't work well with my van. I had a conversation with a guy that knows his onions who works at my local caravan dealership about my situation. He confirmed that some tow cars, that on paper would seem ideal for towing, are not necessarily good in practice and there didn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for it. :o

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”