Car sales figures

The place to discuss everything else..
Colin Lambert

Car sales figures

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 am

Sales figures for September have just been released. Total sales 426,170, down 9.3% on last year, diesel sales down 21.7%.
No breakdown to to show sales by County or region.
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Budgie

Re: Car sales figures

Post by Budgie » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:19 am

October sale figures?
Ordered 14th of October. Built 10th of November

Technology and luxury pack with tow bar. Moon white

Melbourne, Australia

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 am

See my thread entitled 'BUDGET' for full details of intended swingeing taxes on 'Oily Boys'.
from which the piece below is quoted.
Falling sales
The sale of new diesel vehicles is already in free fall. Car sales in the UK contracted by 12.2% in October compared to same period in 2016. Diesels have seen a 29.9% decline over the same period.

My youngest son has just bought a s/hand MB SLK costing £16.5k, for his wife from the main MB dealer in Poole. He said he could have bought a much younger, higher specc'ed version with an 'oily' engine for £1000s LESS They have loads of s/hand Merc 'oilers' and are knocking up to £6k OFF most s/hand diesels because they can't shift them!
Boy am I glad I have a TSi!
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Winnie The Pooh.

JKSKodi

Post by JKSKodi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:09 pm

I think it depends on what you want from your car.
Personally I prefer diesel because of the lower down torque delivery which gives a more relaxed drive. Given I live in the far north and drive long distances on empty roads the diesel is far better suited. If your predominantly a southern Britain driver, stop start, slow traffic performance on busy roads and in towns is probably a good reason to go petrol. I suspect in the longer term petrol hybirds, where the electric motor provides the low down 'shove' and electric only for town driving is the way to go for most of us.

The cost is factor, but actually not too much of a differentiator as the 150 2WD DSG is the most efficient mpg. Also given I'm on a PCP (as are many others) I'm not expecting any credit at the end, so the risk of 2nd hand price drops falls on the finance company, not me.

Overall really looking forward to my bear turning up - I'm sure we all love our choices!
Ordered 12 August: 2.0TDi 150 DSG (2WD) Edition 5 seats Petrol blue, beige Interior, Sunroof, Front parking sensors, Rear view camera, heated windscreen

JKSKodi

Post by JKSKodi » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... erall-used

overall used car sales down 2.1% down, but Diesel used up 4.2%

Any comment Colin?
Ordered 12 August: 2.0TDi 150 DSG (2WD) Edition 5 seats Petrol blue, beige Interior, Sunroof, Front parking sensors, Rear view camera, heated windscreen

Lord Muck

Post by Lord Muck » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 am

I'm with Colin on this went 1.4 TSI and glad I did, mainly because I'm planning on buying her out and keeping her at the end of the PCP period.

Diesel is still expensive to buy new £2k for the engine and additional first year tax, not worth it for the limited miles I do.

I suspect used car sales are up because you don't have this extra cost, dealers are struggling to shift them so are discounting them like crazy.
We have a diesel Mini convertible, great car, lovely BMW engine and cheap to buy and run. I'll probably run it into the ground.
1.4TSI Kodiaq SE 4x4 7 seats manual.. build week 23 5/6/17
Extras are window blinds, driver mode, colour computer, reversing camera and a spare wheel.

I swear way too much, apparently the use of colourful metaphors is frowned on in polite society!

Budgie

Post by Budgie » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 am

Anyone got sales for Australia?
Ordered 14th of October. Built 10th of November

Technology and luxury pack with tow bar. Moon white

Melbourne, Australia

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 pm

JKSKodi wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:25 pm
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/c ... erall-used

overall used car sales down 2.1% down, but Diesel used up 4.2%

Any comment Colin?
Could be the HUGE discounts being offered on S/hand 'oilers'.
My son noticed that Poole Mercedes are offering anything up to a massive £6k discount on s/hand diesels, Of which they have loads and apparently can hardly give them away.
Certainly, when I drove passed them yesterday the site was more full of s/Hands than I have ever seen it.
Winnie The Pooh.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”