Greenpeace W*ankers hold up VAG ship at Sheerness.

The place to discuss everything else..
Colin Lambert

Greenpeace W*ankers hold up VAG ship at Sheerness.

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:05 pm

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sheerness/n ... ed-132485/
I know I'm not keen on 'Oilers' but this is 'Simply Stupid'. Typical GP. Like when they had a go at Shell for the scrapping of the Brent Spar and were proved to have got their facts wrong.
These comments from the Yeti forum.

Originally posted by The Hood The Hood wrote:

I bet their outboard motor is worse than the vehicle engines.

This is the funny thing. The majority of the activists arrived by diesel busses. The majority of the cars on that ship were actually eco models as well. The irony!

Let's hope there are no Bears aboard!
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

igi_79

Re: Greenpeace W*ankers hold up VAG ship at Sheerness.

Post by igi_79 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm not getting their logic - all parked 'immbolised' cars have Euro6 TDI's which will replace old diesel cars. More time they will block these new cars, more pollution from old diesel engines will be in the air....
If one Euro6 car replaces one Euro3 car, it will reduce emissions about 23g of NOX daily - just from a single car.
ordered: 2nd August 2017 | expected: W12/2018 -> W9/2018 -> W21/2018
Kodiaq Ambition Plus 2.0TDI 140kW 4x4 DSG, DCC, 18" Triton, Amundsen + DAB + Qi, color MaxiDot, RVC, sport steering wheel, Mistral decoration

JKSKodi

Post by JKSKodi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 pm

This is from Friday 21st - posted in the 'delays' thread - so nothing new to worry about.

I am a bit fed up of the anti-diesel arguments - the EU-6 engines are really clean. And in terms of the 'emissions' scandal, by far the biggest scandal is the promotion of some hybrid cars - many of these quote over 100 mpg which is a massive lie!!
People on here (and elsewhere) recognise if you get to within 10% of quoted figures you're doing ok. Most of these hybrids get nothing like the quoted mpg, less than 50% in real driving. This also means their CO2 figures are fanciful too! A modern diesel is cleaner if you do more than 50 miles in one trip.

Where are Greenpeace when it comes to challenging these 'clean' hybrid cars?
Ordered 12 August: 2.0TDi 150 DSG (2WD) Edition 5 seats Petrol blue, beige Interior, Sunroof, Front parking sensors, Rear view camera, heated windscreen

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:10 pm

GP are and always have been misguided Tossers!
I totally agree about hybrids.
Mitsubishi claimed 143 mpg for the PHEV. Best I got ????????? 54mpg!!
The Government test is a joke it is done over a 7 mile journey and the PHEV is capable of 22miles purely on leccy. So the whole thing is a complete farce!
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Savage

Post by Savage » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:51 pm

JKSKodi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 pm
I am a bit fed up of the anti-diesel arguments - the EU-6 engines are really clean.
Nope.
I can see valid reasons for owning a diesel for those that do the miles, but clean they are not.

"The report, from sustainable transport group Transport & Environment (T&E), compiled recent data to show that when diesel vehicles are tested in normal driving conditions they emit much greater levels of NOx gases."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... port-finds

As concerns Greenpeace, they should be arrested for interfering with private property.
Superb 280 4x4 Sportline in Black Magic.

JKSKodi

Post by JKSKodi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 pm

I accept that clean is a relative term - and real world values are not the same as the test values.
However bear in mind that Petrol cars also produce particulate and NOx and in real world driving they too produce more that reported - and the EU-6 standard is pretty much the same for them as Diesel. The only defendable conclusion is modern types of both engines are 'really clean' in comparison to older Petrol or Diesel engines.
My point was that these Hybrids are actually worse - their MPG figures are vastly inflated and their real world pollution performance will be well above the reported figures as a result. Also for plug in variants they don't add in the CO2 and NOx from generating the electricity.
Last edited by JKSKodi on Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ordered 12 August: 2.0TDi 150 DSG (2WD) Edition 5 seats Petrol blue, beige Interior, Sunroof, Front parking sensors, Rear view camera, heated windscreen

ChrisL

Post by ChrisL » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:53 pm

It would make more sense of them to concentrate of people still operating fleets of far more polluting pre-Euro 6 vehicles.

The ship itself I suspect is probably a far worse culprit!

The best idea would be for them to stop depending on Mummy or Daddy's money and get a job like the rest of the world....
Petrol Blue 2.0TDi 190ps DSG 7 seat Edition with black leather, front/rear parking sensors, heated front windscreen/washer jets, ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, driver personalisation and rear view camera.

Savage

Post by Savage » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:21 am

JKSKodi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 pm
My point was that these Hybrids are actually worse - their MPG figures are vastly inflated and their real world pollution performance will be well above the reported figures as a result. Also for plug in variants they don't add in the CO2 and NOx from generating the electricity.
Agree 100%
Superb 280 4x4 Sportline in Black Magic.

Rob M

Post by Rob M » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Savage wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:51 pm
JKSKodi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:23 pm
I am a bit fed up of the anti-diesel arguments - the EU-6 engines are really clean.
Nope.
I can see valid reasons for owning a diesel for those that do the miles, but clean they are not.

"The report, from sustainable transport group Transport & Environment (T&E), compiled recent data to show that when diesel vehicles are tested in normal driving conditions they emit much greater levels of NOx gases."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... port-finds

As concerns Greenpeace, they should be arrested for interfering with private property.
I don't even think the issue with NOx gas emissions has been the primary factor in the anti Diesel stance being taken by Government, Councils and Environmentalists.
I believe the actual driving issue was the amount of particulates emitted into the atmosphere which were/are causing repiratory issues, allegedly.
Its these particulates that continue to be pumped out irrespective of manufacturers achieving set targets regarding EU-6 or EU-86 or whatever.
It has been suggested that older diesels actually pump out bigger particulates which are less likely to cause illness....believe that if you will.
I think, as has already been mooted elsewhere, there will, at some point sooner rather than later, be some sort of filtration system added to diesels to filter out the more harmful particulates.
This would be more cost effective on, say HGVs, Tractors and other heavier diesel machinery, something that will have to be looked into because, so far, most of the emphasis has been about passenger vehicles and nothing heavier.
Tesla are trialling an electric HGV but, come on, really!!!
I think, assuming they can deal with particulates effectively, that would give the diesel a stay of execution, for the time being.
Kodiaq SE L 1.4 150BHP Manual in Moon White Metallic.
1988 Pontiac Firebird 5.0V8 TBI in Red
1991 Lotus Excel 'Hethel Celebration'

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:22 pm

JKSKodi wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:49 pm
I accept that clean is a relative term - and real world values are not the same as the test values.
However bear in mind that Petrol cars also produce particulate and NOx and in real world driving they too produce more that reported - and the EU-6 standard is pretty much the same for them as Diesel. The only defendable conclusion is modern types of both engines are 'really clean' in comparison to older Petrol or Diesel engines.
The issue with hybrids is whilst using battery power you are lugging ¾ tonnes of engine around that you are not using, then when using the engine you are lugging another ¾ tonnes of battery around that you are not using! :?

IF you are going to do it then pure EV is the only way IMO (there are cars available with a decent range)
The pollution produced whilst generating electricity is still less than any ICE car chucks out, or you can chose a diesel that allegedly causes respiratory issues, or petrol that ruins the O-zone, neither are exactly a winner!
Rob M wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:25 pm
Tesla are trialling an electric HGV but, come on, really!!!
With the correct recharging infrastructure there is no reason why this cannot work... a EV bus has just done 1100 miles on a single charge!, so the battery technology is already here.
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”