'Electric nonsense'.

The place to discuss everything else..
Lord Muck

Re: 'Electric nonsense'.

Post by Lord Muck » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Changing the subject a bit... but have you seen the depreciation values on the Nissan Leaf and Renault Zoe... its. Insane!
1.4TSI Kodiaq SE 4x4 7 seats manual.. build week 23 5/6/17
Extras are window blinds, driver mode, colour computer, reversing camera and a spare wheel.

I swear way too much, apparently the use of colourful metaphors is frowned on in polite society!

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:46 pm

My friend bought a Demonstrator Leaf only 3 months old and saved £7k
I would think with their new (very much) improved model coming out that existing stock Leaves(??) would be a bargain giveaway!
ModeratorA 'Bear' called Pooh.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Peeliewally

Post by Peeliewally » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 am

How will they pay for it? The cost of electricity will go through the roof - they would need to add an additional circuit to your house that is suitable for charging an electric car then this could have a swipe card like at the garage. 1 supercharge = £100 per charge......
KODIAQ 2.0 TDI (190) DSG EDITION IN MOON WHITE

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 am

Oh dear!

They can be charged (slowly) off a 3 pin plug if you really want to.

But hey let’s why let the facts get in the way of a good story (or scaremongering)
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:47 am

I charged my Mitsu PHEV from a 13 amp plug. It took 5 hours from flat.
The NEW leave with 200+miles per charge, takes 15 hours on a 13 amp plug from flat.
Presumably if you buy a pure leccy car you won't often be doing 200+ miles in a day so just top it up every night on a 13amp plug.
If I had a wife rather than a (40 miles away) gf and we had 2 cars in one household, one for long distances and one for pootling about I would certainly entertain a new Leaf.
I don't understand why the manufacturers have to make some leccy cars so pug-ugly! the only normal looking one is the Golf E or the Hynudai.
The BMW is revolting, so is the old Leaf. the new one is marginally better.
ModeratorA 'Bear' called Pooh.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Winnie The Pooh.

bigboss

Post by bigboss » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 am

If you've got solar panels in your house, then Zappi is an interesting option; it will divert solar power to charge your car instead of sending back to grid.

http://myenergi.uk/product/zappi/
Kodiaq SE L, 1.4 TSI 150 PS DSG, Magnetic Brown metallic, beige leather, 19" Triglav, towbar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Heated leather MFSW, Adaptive cruise control, Front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera. Škoda ID: 98705067

Olsenden

Post by Olsenden » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:57 pm

Nonsense indeed. 15,000 miles of trouble-free electric motoring behind me and will definitely always have a BEV in my garage going forward! I never worry about range. I look forward to winter and waking up to a fully charged, warm and frost free car, the minimal drop in range never causes me any issues. I've also somehow managed to avoid being killed in a snowstorm or lose all my range at the first sight of frost. I agree that electric probably isn't the future but it's nice for now and will certainly beat any Skoda in a cheeky race (I intend to test that theory when mine comes along).
1.4 TSI DSG 4X4 Edition Magnetic Brown with beige interior - Crew protection assist, pano, virtual pedal, heated stearing wheel, ACC, area view, front and rear parking sensors, partition net, child safety lock.

Rob M

Post by Rob M » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Gizmo68 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:50 am
Oh dear!

They can be charged (slowly) off a 3 pin plug if you really want to.

But hey let’s why let the facts get in the way of a good story (or scaremongering)
TBF, you cannot have it both ways.
There may well be a massaging of the facts, even downright lies but nobody, as yet, has actually stated how the hell we are going to have an infrastructure in place that will serve every future motorist of electric vehicles.
Its inconceivable that there will be charging points for the masses at their homes, workplaces or old petrol forecourts within the expected timescale when production of fossil fuelled vehicles ends.
That's not scaremongering, its cold facts, facts that are blindingly obvious and, that aside, we haven't even touched on the costs, who will pay and where the revenue currently collected from car owners in fuel and tax duty will come from in the future.
Im all for electric cars, they have their place, they may well be the future but just being a fan of them, just championing them and countering wildly exaggerated stories doesn't make them viable or even a natural successor to the fossil fuelled vehicle.
If people perceptions are to be changed, it has to be done with facts on how the hell cars will be charged, how much its likely to cost and whether it will be as straightforwards and convenient as filling up your car now.
None of those points have been addressed in any satisfactory way, that's the job of the manufacturers and government.
Enthusiasm for electric cars aint enough!
Kodiaq SE L 1.4 150BHP Manual in Moon White Metallic.
1988 Pontiac Firebird 5.0V8 TBI in Red
1991 Lotus Excel 'Hethel Celebration'

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I agree that if you do not have off road parking then an EV is not going to be practical for you.
If you park off road (drive or garage) then you already have the infrastructure in place (normal plug socket - granted a waterproof socket would be best if the car is not garaged though).
If you wish to charge faster then a dedicated charger will do this at minimal cost (once you take into account the grant available).
Not many people will need to charge at home & at work.
Shell have already announced they are going to build charging forecourts.

Once EVs become the norm then you can expect the current car tax to include EVs.

As for ‘filling up’ just plug in when you get home and unplug before you leave, it could be argued that this is more convenient than putting fuel in every week or so.
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:44 am

I think my 40 something boys will be driving HYDROGEN ELECTRIC before they die.
Hybrids & pure battery are only a medium term stop gap IMHO!
Winnie The Pooh.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”