Noise from the dashboard WARNING BELOW Ellebees post.

The place to discuss everything else..
Ellebees

Noise from the dashboard WARNING BELOW Ellebees post.

Post by Ellebees » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:09 am

:o A strange one.

Was driving along on Tuesday evening and heard a really annoying rustling / flapping around the windscreen, seemed to be coming from under the dashboard. Had not noticed it before but at the time had the volume way down as we were chatting in the car. Sound seemed to disappear above 35 mph.

Was concerned and my immediate thought was that this sounds really bad, perhaps the windscreen has come loose and air is getting into the seals etc. Moved the wipers in case it was them, no change.

Was considering taking it to the dealership but thought if I have a seal break I can test it in a carwash which I did late yesterday. Glad to report no leaks. However on exiting the carwash I spotted a plastic laminated leaflet sticking out at the bottom of the windscreen. It seems that a hairdresser by my work had put a leaflet under the wiper but it had disappeared and could not be seen from the inside or out. Only the blowers from the carwash eventually dislodged it!!! Even putting the wipers on had not moved it.

Obviously at low speed the plastic was flapping against the windscreen causing the noise but it stopped when the wind pressure pushed it tight against the screen above a certain speed. As the wipers are hidden on the Kodiaq this could be a recurring issue, although a simple paper leaflet would not have the same effect.
:oops: :P
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

Colin Lambert

Re: Noise from the dashboard WARNING BELOW!

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 am

Glad to hear it was solved.
BUT.....
Everyone BE WARNED!
There is a very deep gap Between the dashboard and the windscreen. I haven't measured it but it swallowed 3/4 (9 inches) of an A4 sheet of paper before I chickened out and removed the paper. If you drop anything down that gap you will never get it out!!
It is wide enough to swallow a narrow ball point pen!
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Rob M

Re: Noise from the dashboard WARNING BELOW!

Post by Rob M » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:59 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 am
Glad to hear it was solved.
BUT.....
Everyone BE WARNED!
There is a very deep gap Between the dashboard and the windscreen. I haven't measured it but it swallowed 3/4 (9 inches) of an A4 sheet of paper before I chickened out and removed the paper. If you drop anything down that gap you will never get it out!!
It is wide enough to swallow a narrow ball point pen!
It sounds like it will also be deep enough to swallow leaves, twigs and other assorted crud which, surely, in time, will cause issues of dampness and/or rot?
Kodiaq SE L 1.4 150BHP Manual in Moon White Metallic.
1988 Pontiac Firebird 5.0V8 TBI in Red
1991 Lotus Excel 'Hethel Celebration'

Ellebees

Re: Noise from the dashboard WARNING BELOW Ellebees post.

Post by Ellebees » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:51 pm

I think that Colin is talking about on the inside, I am talking about the outside.

For the internals I wait to hear about a misplaced phone thrown on the dashboard disappearing down there if it is that wide ;) . For outside yes there is a lot of hidden space there. Need to check how easy it is to clear out with the bonnet up, otherwise as you say those rotting leaves could become a real pain. It is impossible to see with the bonnet down.
Edition 2.0 TDI 150PS DSG in Petrol Blue / Beige Leather with Rear View Camera, Ambient Lighting & Heated Front/Rear seats. 8-)

Got car 26th June. :P A Happy Bunny

Colin Lambert

Re: Noise from the dashboard WARNING BELOW Ellebees post.

Post by Colin Lambert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:55 pm

I was!
I read Robs and wondered if he was growing Bonsai trees on his dash top :lol:
Before reading Ellebees follow up.
Moderator.SE L. 1.4DSG Jungle Green, PanRoof, Front Sensors, Beige Alcantara, Triglavs.Canton system. S/saver.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
“People say doing nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day”. :lol:
Winnie The Pooh.

Return to “Off-Topic Chat”