EV grants.

The place to discuss everything else..
User avatar
Colin Lambert
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 10:40 am
Location: Poole Dorset

Re: EV grants.

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue May 11, 2021 10:10 am

Jamie said......Come on Colin, you should know better than to listen to any garbage that comes out the mouth of a salesperson.
That is why I mentioned it came from a Kia dealer! :lol:
Moderator
Sportline .1.5DSG. Race Blue. S/s spare, KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

JamieK
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:42 pm
Location: Stirling

Re: EV grants.

Post by JamieK » Tue May 11, 2021 10:08 pm

scratch113 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:16 pm
JamieK wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:57 pm
I'm looking for an EV that comes with the option of a 3.0L straight six. :D
Well that would be the BMW 545e xDrive then?

Sadly you'd need to get a £20k discount from the dealer to get you under the £35k level in order to get the £2.5k from the Government...

Not much chance I would suspect!

:shock:
To qualify for the grant, a car has to have co2 emissions less than 50g/km AND be capable of travelling 70miles without producing any emissions. So no government grant on that BMW. Those things are a tax dodge for company drivers tho. If the reports I've read are correct, few people bother to plug in their PHEV.

scratch113
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: EV grants.

Post by scratch113 » Wed May 12, 2021 10:43 am

JamieK wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:08 pm
scratch113 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:16 pm
JamieK wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 5:57 pm
I'm looking for an EV that comes with the option of a 3.0L straight six. :D
Well that would be the BMW 545e xDrive then?

Sadly you'd need to get a £20k discount from the dealer to get you under the £35k level in order to get the £2.5k from the Government...

Not much chance I would suspect!

:shock:
To qualify for the grant, a car has to have co2 emissions less than 50g/km AND be capable of travelling 70miles without producing any emissions. So no government grant on that BMW. Those things are a tax dodge for company drivers tho. If the reports I've read are correct, few people bother to plug in their PHEV.
Ah yes, good spot on my obvious error! I was just trying to apply a sticking plaster to the notion of an EV with a 3.0 turbo straight six...

BMW claims 38g/km and 166mpg for that car - hahahahaha!!!!!

:D :D
New car: Kodiaq Sportline 2.0TDI 190 4x4 DSG
Previous:
2016 LR Disco Sport HSE Lux
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI
2003 Audi S4 4.2 V8
1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro
1995 Audi A4 1.8T Sport
1992 VW Golf Mk3 1.9 TD
1990 Ford Escort Mk5 1.6 LX
1983 Vauxhall Astra Mk1 1.3 S

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: EV grants.

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun May 16, 2021 7:24 pm

As a matter of interest does anyone know if there are grants to resolve my parking/charging problem if I move to an EV.

We don’t have parking next to our house and there is no pavement or street parking either, we own the land on the opposite side of the road, the road itself is council owned and has incredibly low usage due to our location. Is there a cost effective way to have a charging point on the land opposite our house where the cars are parked?

This is the only real thing putting me off an EV apart from the obvious environment problems of making it in the first place. Apparently they only become environmentally friendly compared to a petrol car averaging 29mpg until the petrol car has reached 31k miles.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

scratch113
Posts: 296
Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: South West UK

Re: EV grants.

Post by scratch113 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:29 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:24 pm
As a matter of interest does anyone know if there are grants to resolve my parking/charging problem if I move to an EV.

We don’t have parking next to our house and there is no pavement or street parking either, we own the land on the opposite side of the road, the road itself is council owned and has incredibly low usage due to our location. Is there a cost effective way to have a charging point on the land opposite our house where the cars are parked?

This is the only real thing putting me off an EV apart from the obvious environment problems of making it in the first place. Apparently they only become environmentally friendly compared to a petrol car averaging 29mpg until the petrol car has reached 31k miles.
I guess the key question would be - is there an electricity supply from your house to this piece of land you own on the other side of the road? If yes, then it ought to be possible to install a home charger and you would qualify for the £350 Government grant for one of these. You could easily just build a small brick structure and fix it to that if there isn't something there already to fix it to. They are normally somewhere in the 3.6-11kW range as you need a 3-phase supply to get up to a 22kW charger, which most homes in the UK don't have.

If there's no electricity supply to the piece of land you mention then that would be your first requirement - you'd need to pay the council to dig up the road in order to lay a cable, which would obviously not be cheap, but is entirely possible. I guess you might manage to find a company who could lay the cable without digging up the road by using some form of machine that will tunnel and pull the cable through, but I have no idea whether this is possible or economically viable.

Your final option would be to ask your current energy supplier to install a new supply to that piece of land. You would then get another meter and probably need another account with them to pay for what you use. Again, not exactly cheap, assuming they're even interested in doing it for you as I would presume there's not actually a property on the piece of land you own.

This is part of the problem with us all being forced into electric cars by 2030 (well, not literally, but anything new after that date will be). It was on the BBC News site a few days ago that Cardiff has said it expects to need 10,000 car charging points by 2025. They currently have less than 100. Spread that across the entire country and as a nation we're a world away from having the infrastructure in place for 2030. Best estimates at the moment are that 90% of all cars on the road will be electric by 2035...
New car: Kodiaq Sportline 2.0TDI 190 4x4 DSG
Previous:
2016 LR Disco Sport HSE Lux
2008 Audi A5 3.0TDI
2003 Audi S4 4.2 V8
1998 Audi A4 2.8 quattro
1995 Audi A4 1.8T Sport
1992 VW Golf Mk3 1.9 TD
1990 Ford Escort Mk5 1.6 LX
1983 Vauxhall Astra Mk1 1.3 S

FoxtrotAlpha
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:57 am

Re: EV grants.

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue May 18, 2021 6:42 pm

scratch113 wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:29 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 7:24 pm
As a matter of interest does anyone know if there are grants to resolve my parking/charging problem if I move to an EV.

We don’t have parking next to our house and there is no pavement or street parking either, we own the land on the opposite side of the road, the road itself is council owned and has incredibly low usage due to our location. Is there a cost effective way to have a charging point on the land opposite our house where the cars are parked?

This is the only real thing putting me off an EV apart from the obvious environment problems of making it in the first place. Apparently they only become environmentally friendly compared to a petrol car averaging 29mpg until the petrol car has reached 31k miles.
I guess the key question would be - is there an electricity supply from your house to this piece of land you own on the other side of the road? If yes, then it ought to be possible to install a home charger and you would qualify for the £350 Government grant for one of these. You could easily just build a small brick structure and fix it to that if there isn't something there already to fix it to. They are normally somewhere in the 3.6-11kW range as you need a 3-phase supply to get up to a 22kW charger, which most homes in the UK don't have.

If there's no electricity supply to the piece of land you mention then that would be your first requirement - you'd need to pay the council to dig up the road in order to lay a cable, which would obviously not be cheap, but is entirely possible. I guess you might manage to find a company who could lay the cable without digging up the road by using some form of machine that will tunnel and pull the cable through, but I have no idea whether this is possible or economically viable.

Your final option would be to ask your current energy supplier to install a new supply to that piece of land. You would then get another meter and probably need another account with them to pay for what you use. Again, not exactly cheap, assuming they're even interested in doing it for you as I would presume there's not actually a property on the piece of land you own.

This is part of the problem with us all being forced into electric cars by 2030 (well, not literally, but anything new after that date will be). It was on the BBC News site a few days ago that Cardiff has said it expects to need 10,000 car charging points by 2025. They currently have less than 100. Spread that across the entire country and as a nation we're a world away from having the infrastructure in place for 2030. Best estimates at the moment are that 90% of all cars on the road will be electric by 2035...
Thanks, as I really expected. I could ask my mate to trench across the road with his digger I doubt the council would be amused.

It just more evidence that we are being forced into a direction that not all of us can go, rural locations probably being the last on the list. If they want to achieve these targets then they need to have more aggressive targets for the infrastructure to support it.

We are up to 97% renewable energy where we are so it makes sense to go electric. Might see if there are grants via the wind farms they are building around here. Seems like they are bribing our communities to be quite anyway.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Post Reply