windshield is cracked on Day3

The place to discuss everything else..
rks

windshield is cracked on Day3

Post by rks » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:11 pm

Hi,

I just noticed that the windshield is cracked on Day-3 of my brand new skoda kodiaq. Really annoyed about that and my skoda dealer didn't agree that it was improper installation. However, I made a claim through five day driveway insurance provided by Skoda and they referred me to Autoglass. Now Autoglass doesn't know all details about the windshield such as heated washer nozzle and rain sensors. I am still waiting for a quotation from them. But I am really worried that they might not be able to replace with the manufacturer original windshield and quality of work they will do. Skoda insurance is advising me to go through my own insurance to make a claims so that they can book with authorised Skoda garage and do the work. Anyone had a similar situation and advise the best possible route? Not really happy with the after service with Skoda.

iwarv

Re: windshield is cracked on Day3

Post by iwarv » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:37 pm

How can it not be improper installation or a fault in the manufacture?

If it started from a stone chip, I can see how Skoda can defend that.
Bad things happen and Skoda cannot control flying debris.

But a crack starting from the edge has got to be shear force or a fault in the windscreen itself.
You cannot reasonably expect that to happen to a 3 day old car.

I would push back.
Last edited by iwarv on Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY21 SE-L 1.5 TSI, DSG , Business Grey, Front DashCam

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:54 pm

I had Autoglass replace a cracked windscreen on my Superb about three years ago. When I contacted them they asked for all the details about auto wipers etc. to make sure the chap turned up with the correct screen and parts. The new screen was fitted with no problems and all worked as it should from then on.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 93kW, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D

rks

Post by rks » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks for your reply. Did they replace with original manufacturer glass ?

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:07 pm

rks wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:00 pm
Thanks for your reply. Did they replace with original manufacturer glass ?
I don't know if it was a "Skoda" screen or not, I arranged it through Skoda Ensurance so they must have been happy with it.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 93kW, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:44 pm

I suffered a stone chip on my original Edition which was in the A zone so needed replacing and I had some fun and games getting it replaced.

Skoda insist on you using original Skoda parts and will state that they will not honour and warranty if non-Skoda parts are at fault, this will include any electrical damage due to water ingress. Auto glass will not put on a Skoda part unless you specify it and may argue, they did with me. The Skoda screen cost them about £70 more than the standard 3rd part screen (not my problem). Chances are it was made on the same production line but didn’t have the correct markings. My contract due to the PHC means I must use genuine parts so I insisted on it.

Second issue I had is that Autoglass refused to recalibrate the front camera after replacement. Skoda do not have that facility at all their dealers and if they did would charge me £250 for the privilege. I argued with the insurance company, who did seem interested, that their obligation was to replace the screen to the same condition as it was before and that included the correct calibration of the camera. That took allot of arguing but they said they would pay for it if I sorted it out. Eventually Autoglass remembered their Glasgow site had the equipment to do it so I had to go there for the calibration, this could be as I asked them to underwrite any future accidents that could be caused by a faulty camera.

The key thing here is that if I had out this though the free Skoda ensurance policy they would have sorted all this out for me. I wasn’t even aware the ensurance existed as the dealer actively didn’t tell customers about it as they didn’t agree with it. Due to them and the hassle I incurred Skoda UK paid for a weekend away for my and the family as a goodwill gesture, not all bad news.

So if you have signed up to ensurance then I would use it, if not then you can’t because you are not allowed to claim retrospectively, even if you were not told about it.

Not sure on you car spec but if you have a front camera make sure it’s recalibrated as I think this could affect your insurance as it could compromising the safety systems.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey