Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

3 child car seats in the 7 seater - does it work?

59K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  Jersey Boy 
#1 ·
Hello All!

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I found out we were expecting twins, so along with our 2 year old, we will be the parents of three children under 3. We're just about getting used to the news, but it definitely wasn't in the plan!

Anyway, obviously we are going to have to change our Mazda 3 to something a little bigger, and after a fair bit of research, I am really keen on the Skoda Kodiaq. However, the wife is more keen on the fugly MPVs like the Citroen Grand Picasso or Ford S-Max.

Is anyone in a similar position / predicament and has the Kodiaq? Can it fit 3 car seats comfortably? I would imagine that we will be going Isofix for the twins, and from what I have seen the third seat (seatbelt fastened) that my daughter is in just now, would go in the third row. I have seen some chat that the headrest here can get in the way - how much of an issue would this be for a toddler? How hard / easy would it be to get past the Isofix to the third row to put child 1 in their seat? Is there no boot space at all then?

Any help much appreciated!

#2 ·
Good question. I did get a certain amount of grief from my missus over the saloon-like 2 and 1/2 seat arrangement of the Kodiaq, coming from the row of 3 isofix fittings seats in the C4GP.

Also interested to see a response to this question.

#3 ·
Put simply, yes it can.

Two Recaro child seats easily fit in the third row (And they are big and bulky) and an ISOFIX in the second row. No problems whatsoever.

Someone recently updated the thread asking about removal of the headrests in the third row, so they can be removed should you wish to do so.

#5 ·
gumpy321 said:
Put simply, yes it can.

Two Recaro child seats easily fit in the third row (And they are big and bulky) and an ISOFIX in the second row. No problems whatsoever.

Someone recently updated the thread asking about removal of the headrests in the third row, so they can be removed should you wish to do so.
Awesome thanks for that - is that what you have? I think we'd need two isofix chairs in the middle row for convenience getting the twins in and out, with the non Isofix in the 3rd row - not sure if that would be a huge hassle?
StephenL said:
Can't help with the seats, but congratulations to you both.
Thanks! Still quite overwhelming at the moment!

#7 ·
It is possible to have 3 isofix seats. You can choose an isofix point (£40 option) for the front passenger seat. Bear in mind that the Kodiaq will be a compromise in terms of flexibility as compared to a proper MPV like Ford S Max.

#9 ·
#10 ·
First off then congratulations with the coming family increase - and then welcome to the forums.

Admittedly I do not have the Kodiaq to compare with physically but I do have experience with C4GP. In terms if space and functionality it is the best car I have owned. So much of French cleverness has been copied by Skoda for use in the Kodiaq and that was one of the reasons I got convinced on buying the Kodiaq. Having three real seats in the second row that one is able to adjust separately will be of the outmost importance when it comes to the everyday use - and especially with two new ones. (Don't tell your wife but I totally understand her need for having them together on the second row...)
But there were also things that were just French and very Citroen: the electronics were all shite in the first version and the fuel consumption was awful so when I changed job with a longer commute I got rid of it and bought the Octavia TDi which I currently still have right until my Kodiaq is delivered :)
So to sum it up: the Kodiaq is the best bloody car in the market for me (kids are 12 and 9 now) as things are now but if I was in your situation I would most certainly go for one of them fugly MPVs and the C4GP would also most certainly be at the top of the list.

Anyways - just my two pennies worth. And don't be too nervous about it. You will do just fine I'm sure!

#11 ·
We have three 5 and under. During the week we will be using the three ISO fixes (front seat plus two in second row) which leaves an enormous boot available and at weekends we'll be going two adults up front, two children in the middle on ISO f fixes and take the front kiddy seat (Recaro which works with/without ISO fix) and putting that in the back row secured by seat belt. That leaves a reasonable size boot (more if one of the rear seats is put flat. I have tested seat in back row of demonstrator (with test pilot installed) and all good. Even better now that the thread discussing potential grumble with rear headrests now includes a photo showing how to remove the headrests and replace turned 180 degrees which means the seat can sit fully flat against back of seat.

Congratulations on the news by the way!

G
#12 ·
My kids are 7 and 5 and when we take grandma somewhere with us we tend to put the 7 year old in third row in booster seat (with headrest removed and booster fastened in by seatbelt), then the 5 year old in boosted fastened with ISO Fix -- but cruicially grandma (or other adult) being in second row means that their seat easily pulls forward to allow child to get into back row....

You'll find that if you isofix seats into both sides of the middle row, it will be very difficult to get your eldest child into the back row unless you take an isofix seat out (it'll be easier to lift them in through the boot!).

I'm already finding it a little frustrating that the middle seat in second row isn't a full sized seat - you can't really get an adult in the middle between two car seats (though we did fit my 12 year old nephew in the middle seat this weekend OK between two high back boosters.

#13 ·
Hey congratulations on the twins! It'll be a blast (I've been there, we've got 11 year old twins).

I think probably the Kodiaq isn't the right car for your family right now - having all the kids together behind you & your wife is going to make life a lot easier. We're currently driving a Seat Alhambra (Kodiaq on order, should be here in October), and before that an S-Max.

For shear size and versatility, the Alhambra is outstanding, and it would be probably the best car for your family. The sliding doors are great - especially for older children who let themselves out of the back, or when you need doors fully open to extract babies & associated seats and paraphernalia. The back two seats are very easy to get into and out of thanks to the folding mechanism of the 2nd row, the sliding doors, and the amount of available room. Boot is cavernous - great for everyday life and holidays. Definitely feels a better quality of ride and luxury than the S-Max. Having said that, it's nothing to look at, and relatively unexciting to drive. The S-Max is slightly smaller, but it's a much more nimble and engaging car to drive, and looks a lot better than the Alhambra - if those concern you more than practicality, then that's the car for you out of the two.

Having said all that - if you're interested in an Alhambra, I'll have a 3 year old one to sell in a month or so time!

#14 ·
Wow thanks for all the advice folks, is even more of a shame that it looks like I won't be going down the Kodiaq route as won't have this forum to come to!

It's really helped with my decision though, and confirmed that I probably shouldn't try and 'fudge' it with the Kodiaq, however much I do want it. The wife will be using the car much more in those early months and getting three young kids on the car will be enough of a chore. And she also doesn't want our daughter that far away in the third row.

Citroën is probably now ruled out, as apart from the reasons already mentioned have also heard the heating / fans etc are all controlled by the touchscreen which can be a bit of a nightmare - wife and I really not keen on that. S max probably the choice at the moment, but will have a look at the Seat as well.

Again, thanks folks!

#16 ·
Hugh Fanism said:
2 series gran tourer could be worth a look.
Second row middle seat on the 2-series Gran Tourer is a bit cramped though. I saw a picture with three seats there, but realized the middle one was just a booster:

Car Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Seat belt

Attachments

#17 ·
Notably, the C4GP's three middle row seat ALL have isofix fittings if I recall correctly. Modern childseats being as big as they are though, I'd be interested to see if you could actually get 3x full height seats in side by side. Probably more practical to squeeze in a basic booster seat between 2 full height seats. We most definitely had two full height childseats in the middle row with an adult sitting in the middle, on multiple occasions. The C4GP is extraordinarily practical and provides huge amount of bang for buck but... it is a bit of a minibus and drives like one too.

In the Kodiaq, the feel is definitely a more saloon-like 2.5 seat set up and I don't think the middle seat has isofix fittings. In comparison to the Kodiaq, the C4GP Exclusive+ comes with more toys as standard than the Edition and is cheaper overall. It's a great, flexible car on a budget but the Kodiaq, while being more expensive and marginally less filled with toys, wins hands down for quality, performance and being sheer fun to drive: its very much an _SUV_ that can also do most of the things that a C4GP can do, just as well.

#18 ·
Hi. I have bought a Kodiaq SE 4x4 7 seater. Didn't do very thorough research re child seats so this forum has been very helpful at clarifying matters. It would have been good if the dealership had been a bit clearer about options! I read in the most upto date user manual that group 2/3 car seats can be used in the 3rd row however this is contradicted in the EuroNCAP testing! So I am confused.

Also, I read that the the 3rd row head rests can be removed and I wondered if this makes life easier for car seat fitting in the rear row? I hope in the future that Skoda consider Varioflex seating as this would make the Kodiaq an absolute no brainer for bigger families with kids aged under 12....

Any further advice appreciated.

#19 ·
I have 3 kids and a Dog and Mother in Law to ferry about.
We all fit fine in the K.
Eldest child(7) has a Bubble Bum car seat (amazing and so much more comfortable) middle child(4) has a standard Graco thing and youngest is still in isofix rear facer.
No issues with any fitting or space.
When the MIL needs to come too the eldest goes in the boot with the mut.
Good family car so far and works just as well as our Discovery.

#22 ·
Got three across in the middle row, but it's tight. Might have to abandon the youngest's one's isofix connection and use it belted instead to allow it to be further towards the door once it goes forward facing.

#23 ·
Have you checked the multimac car seats. They are not cheap but they cover new born to 12. I have a 2, 5 and 7 year old and it is tight across the 2nd row. Britax make narrow seats but that kind of defeats the object of protection cramming 3 little ones across the back bench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.