3 child car seats in the 7 seater - does it work?

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
mcsparshatt

3 child car seats in the 7 seater - does it work?

Post by mcsparshatt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Hello All!

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I found out we were expecting twins, so along with our 2 year old, we will be the parents of three children under 3. We're just about getting used to the news, but it definitely wasn't in the plan!

Anyway, obviously we are going to have to change our Mazda 3 to something a little bigger, and after a fair bit of research, I am really keen on the Skoda Kodiaq. However, the wife is more keen on the fugly MPVs like the Citroen Grand Picasso or Ford S-Max.

Is anyone in a similar position / predicament and has the Kodiaq? Can it fit 3 car seats comfortably? I would imagine that we will be going Isofix for the twins, and from what I have seen the third seat (seatbelt fastened) that my daughter is in just now, would go in the third row. I have seen some chat that the headrest here can get in the way - how much of an issue would this be for a toddler? How hard / easy would it be to get past the Isofix to the third row to put child 1 in their seat? Is there no boot space at all then?

Any help much appreciated!

dalglir

Re: 3 child car seats in the 7 seater - does it work?

Post by dalglir » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Good question. I did get a certain amount of grief from my missus over the saloon-like 2 and 1/2 seat arrangement of the Kodiaq, coming from the row of 3 isofix fittings seats in the C4GP.

Also interested to see a response to this question.
150 PS 2.0 TDi DSG 2WD Edition.

'It's so... black!' said Ford Prefect. 'You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it!' Zaphod said nothing. He had simply fallen in love.

gumpy321

Post by gumpy321 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:06 pm

Put simply, yes it can.

Two Recaro child seats easily fit in the third row (And they are big and bulky) and an ISOFIX in the second row. No problems whatsoever.

Someone recently updated the thread asking about removal of the headrests in the third row, so they can be removed should you wish to do so.
Kodiaq SE 1.4 (150) DSG in Moon White (7 seats)
Ordered 22nd April
Picking up 7th August

StephenL

Post by StephenL » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Can't help with the seats, but congratulations to you both.
Kodiaq 1.4 Tsi 2wd DSG SE Black, black leather heated seats, Canton, mood lighting, spare wheel, kessy, rear camera (3rd party fitted)

mcsparshatt

Post by mcsparshatt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

gumpy321 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:06 pm
Put simply, yes it can.

Two Recaro child seats easily fit in the third row (And they are big and bulky) and an ISOFIX in the second row. No problems whatsoever.

Someone recently updated the thread asking about removal of the headrests in the third row, so they can be removed should you wish to do so.
Awesome thanks for that - is that what you have? I think we'd need two isofix chairs in the middle row for convenience getting the twins in and out, with the non Isofix in the 3rd row - not sure if that would be a huge hassle?
StephenL wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:20 pm
Can't help with the seats, but congratulations to you both.
Thanks! Still quite overwhelming at the moment!

mcsparshatt

Post by mcsparshatt » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:30 pm

Damn, think it's a no go. The wife wants all the kids on the same row :x

bigboss

Post by bigboss » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:30 pm

It is possible to have 3 isofix seats. You can choose an isofix point (£40 option) for the front passenger seat. Bear in mind that the Kodiaq will be a compromise in terms of flexibility as compared to a proper MPV like Ford S Max.
Kodiaq SE L, 1.4 TSI 150 PS DSG, Magnetic Brown metallic, beige leather, 19" Triglav, towbar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Heated leather MFSW, Adaptive cruise control, Front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera. Škoda ID: 98705067

Jacro

Post by Jacro » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Seat Alhambra would be a good choice. Don't think the S max has 3 isofix points.

bigboss

Post by bigboss » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Jacro wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:33 pm
Don't think the S max has 3 isofix points.
It does.

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recom ... fix-points

I would put my money on Seat Alhambra or Volkswagen Sharan though.
Kodiaq SE L, 1.4 TSI 150 PS DSG, Magnetic Brown metallic, beige leather, 19" Triglav, towbar, Heated windscreen & washer nozzles, Heated leather MFSW, Adaptive cruise control, Front & rear parking sensors, rear view camera. Škoda ID: 98705067

kthuno

Post by kthuno » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:04 pm

First off then congratulations with the coming family increase - and then welcome to the forums.

Admittedly I do not have the Kodiaq to compare with physically but I do have experience with C4GP. In terms if space and functionality it is the best car I have owned. So much of French cleverness has been copied by Skoda for use in the Kodiaq and that was one of the reasons I got convinced on buying the Kodiaq. Having three real seats in the second row that one is able to adjust separately will be of the outmost importance when it comes to the everyday use - and especially with two new ones. (Don't tell your wife but I totally understand her need for having them together on the second row...)
But there were also things that were just French and very Citroen: the electronics were all shite in the first version and the fuel consumption was awful so when I changed job with a longer commute I got rid of it and bought the Octavia TDi which I currently still have right until my Kodiaq is delivered :-)
So to sum it up: the Kodiaq is the best bloody car in the market for me (kids are 12 and 9 now) as things are now but if I was in your situation I would most certainly go for one of them fugly MPVs and the C4GP would also most certainly be at the top of the list.

Anyways - just my two pennies worth. And don't be too nervous about it. You will do just fine I'm sure!
-- DSG TDI 2.0 150bhp Style

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”