Adblue

Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Faults and Fixes
Zach

Re: Adblue

Post by Zach » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:01 am

Basically lowers the amount of toxic particles from diesel exhaust gasses. Don't think petrol is 100% safe cause petrol engines produce a fair amount of carbon monoxide which is also toxic.
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles

dalglir

Post by dalglir » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am

Gizmo68 wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:12 pm
Find a petrol station that has adblue pumps (they will be by the HGV pumps) as it is FAR cheaper (69.9p per litre IIRC in Kent)
Oh! This is my first diesel car that's required adblue - I was fascinated as the dealer talked me through it. That's a really good steer for getting cheaper adblue. Thanks!
150 PS 2.0 TDi DSG 2WD Edition.

'It's so... black!' said Ford Prefect. 'You can hardly make out its shape... light just seems to fall into it!' Zaphod said nothing. He had simply fallen in love.

Spongo

Post by Spongo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:53 pm

The Adblue tank holds 12 litres ( the dealer told me it was 3 litres ). I've done 1200 miles and the trip computer is giving a range of 5000, so 6000 sounds about right assuming the tank was full on delivery.

One word of warning if you have not used Adblue before, it's very corrosive so needs to be washed off paintwork as soon as possible. Also it's not blue it's clear, I know coach drivers who have kept some in an unmarked container, then another driver has topped up the cooling system with it resulting in a new engine. It's a good idea to keep a spare litre in the boot (in a bag with gloves and funnel) as if it runs out I think the car will go into 'limp home' mode, this is what happens with Hgv's.
SE 2.0 TDI 150PS Manual 4x4
7 seat, Petrol Blue,
Chrome Pack, Ambient Lighting, Silver Roof Rails, Panoramic Roof, Rear View Camera

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Spongo wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:53 pm
It's a good idea to keep a spare litre in the boot (in a bag with gloves and funnel) as if it runs out I think the car will go into 'limp home' mode, this is what happens with Hgv's.
You will get a 1,500 mile warning when you get low, so nobody should ever get caught out and run out.

Also if you do run out completely then the engine will refuse to start.
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

HamsterWheel

Post by HamsterWheel » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Isn't AdBlue just wee? Can't you just stick your own nozzle in the tank and fill up if you run out?
2.0 TSI Edition in Petrol Blue beige leather. Flappy paddles, heated screen & nozzles, driver alert, adaptive cruise control, front sensors, mats, spare wheel, waste bin... Order 3 Mar, got stuck in factory awaiting seats. Cancelled.

Gizmo68

Post by Gizmo68 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 pm

It is ‘basically’ pigs urine... however it is completely synthetic and not a natural product.
VCDS & VCP - PM me if you want coding done

romanv

Post by romanv » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:40 pm

Gizmo68 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 pm
It is ‘basically’ pigs urine
So the answer is: yes?

Jon Edwards

Post by Jon Edwards » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:18 pm

romanv wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:40 pm
Gizmo68 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 pm
It is ‘basically’ pigs urine
So the answer is: yes?
Well no, its actually an aqueous urea solution made with 32.5% urea and 67.5% deionized water.
Kodiaq Edition - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey - Canton
Ordered 3rd April - Build Week 26 - Collected 17 August

Drew

Post by Drew » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:26 am

You also need to be careful which adblue you put in. We have a jag xe at work and someone put some cheap garage stuff in and the car didn't like it. Apparently there are subtle differences between brands and some manufacturers systems check
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 edition 4x4 DSG with electric tow bar, canton system, spare wheel, heated front screen, quartz grey - arriving at Arbury Leamington Spa Monday and collecting Thursday 6th April.

Zach

Post by Zach » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:52 am

Drew wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:26 am
You also need to be careful which adblue you put in. We have a jag xe at work and someone put some cheap garage stuff in and the car didn't like it. Apparently there are subtle differences between brands and some manufacturers systems check
There are basically two methods used to manufacture AdBlue. The ‘Hot-Melt’ Virgin Urea production method is widely accepted across the industry as producing the highest purity grade of AdBlue. This is because it eliminates the risk of contamination during manufacture. The urea is in its ‘virgin’ liquid state when it is combined with the de-ionised water so there is no chance of contaminants being introduced during manufacture.

NEVER use AdBlue that is manufactured by dissolving solid urea. This method of manufacture is by the dissolution of solid urea in de-ionised water. Although this method may meet the ISO and DIN standards set by the VDA there is a strong chance that the solid urea could have contaminants present from the manufacturing process and also from bulk storage and handling in typical open warehouse environments.
BW32 2017 Skoda Kodiaq 2.0 TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey Metallic + Sirius rims, Extended Warranty, Panoramic Sunroof, heated washer jets, sleep pack, rear heated seats, 3rd key + driver profiles

Return to “Engine and Drivetrain”