Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Towing and towbars

24K views 44 replies 20 participants last post by  Marinfullsuss 
#1 ·
How are you getting on with the factory fitted electronically deployed tow bar, ( to those who have it ) ?
Has anyone had a post market detachable tow bar fitted?

#2 ·
Picking mine up tomorrow and need to take the caravan to new storage this week so I'll know more then. Factory fit.

#3 ·
Getting on good with it. Had to get an adapter as only towing a trailer 7ft x5 ft for camping gear. Very neat and easier than a removable one that I had on our smax before

#4 ·
Drew said:
Getting on good with it. Had to get an adapter as only towing a trailer 7ft x5 ft for camping gear. Very neat and easier than a removable one that I had on our smax before
Did it not come with an adaptor?
The brochure states factory fit towbar comes with one. Our current Yeti certainly did.

#5 ·
#6 ·
#8 ·
Took our van to the storage site at weekend. Just a short trip of 3 or 4 miles.

I have only ever towed with the 1.4tsi L&K Yeti we part-ex'd for the Kodiaq.

The difference was quite marked. I could always feel the back of the Yeti moving up and down and being pulled about by the van but the Kodiaq was totally stable and you could actually 'forget the van was there'. The extra torque of the diesel was very evident too.
No real idea of mpg after such a short journey but even with less than 200 miles on the clock the Kodi is already bettering the Yeti by 15mpg on similar runs. The towbar is also a revelation to deploy with no pulling off and replacing of covers or kneeling on the floor seeing exactly where the towbar fits.
Very impressed so far.

#9 ·
Here in NZ we usually use 1 7/8 towball (we're stuck in the past with that for some reason) so the factory fit electric 50mm unit is basically useless unless I buy my own trailers/caravans. My dealer will be installing a Skoda genuine detachable tow bar before final delivery.

#10 ·
I have been running with 50mm tow ball in NZ for a while now. Thel cost of replacing the coupling on the trailer is worth it for the convenance of the factory towbar. I just added the towbar to my order this week.

#12 ·
I don't have a trailer myself, only hire one every few months. If there are places that do 50mm trailer hires I'll probably add the factory fit one my order.

#13 ·
I know of some trailer couplings available with 50mm and 1 7/8" tongues. Why both were allowed in the first place is beyond me. All new towbars should have been required to be 50mm. The current situation is dangerous as there is no visual difference between the two sizes but mixing the two can lead to serious accidents.

#14 ·
The tow-ball seems to be painted black. Does this paint have to be removed with paint stripper or an abrasive before use? Thanks

#15 ·
Plodd said:
Drew said:
The brochure states factory fit towbar comes with one. Our current Yeti certainly did.
Mine has gone into the dealer for the new door panel but there are some recalls on it. Firstly the usual sw updates and secondly adding an adapter for the tow bar so I guess they were missed off when built.

#16 ·
Marinfullsuss said:
The tow-ball seems to be painted black. Does this paint have to be removed with paint stripper or an abrasive before use? Thanks
It does need the paint removing for certain hitch stabiliser systems so it doesn't contaminate the pads.

My van has an Alko stabiliser and does need the paint removing.

#18 ·
The paint has come off mine straight away after hitching up from trailer anyway

#19 ·
Drew said:
Plodd said:
Drew said:
Mine has gone into the dealer for the new door panel but there are some recalls on it. Firstly the usual sw updates and secondly adding an adapter for the tow bar so I guess they were missed off when built.
I had an adaptor sent in the post from the supplying dealer. Wasn't expecting it but the label attached said it was a recall!!

#20 ·
Still waiting for mine as it came into the dealer damaged!

#21 ·
The Skoda website configurator says a SE Technology 150TDi 5 seater manual cannot tow (even though the tow bar is an option they offer on this model). I contacted Skoda UK and found they were unaware of the mistake. I pointed out to them that I might have saved Skoda UK tens of thousands of pounds, since some potential tow car buyers interested in this particular model might be put off. I then (cheekily) suggested that they might want to consider offering a little reward (e.g. providing a year or two's extension to the warranty on my new Kodiaq), but they declined. Oh well..........

#22 ·
There is an older thread on here about the models which can and can't tow.
The brochure now makes it clear which models aren't suitable for towing.

#24 ·
Hello to All

New member here hopefully ordering edition 5 seat wanted their electric towbar fitting but now concerned it will not work with my alko stabiliser towing hitch on my caravan can any one advise please?? or do i have to have a alko fitted towbar from another supplier?

#25 ·
Mine works fine, Alko Stabiliser with electric retractable ball on a SEL.
Dose 33mpg with a Bailey Cadiz.
I use about 80kg nose wait , car appearers to self level as do lights.

#26 ·
Thanks for the reply guys i have a swift sterling eccles twin axle weight 1350-1600 kg so according to the brochure the Kodiaq edition 1.4 TSI 150PS 4x4 will pull 2000 kg so it should be fine but well shocked at only 1.4 petrol i was expecting to have to buy 2 litre diesel. and the info you have given it will work with an ALKO so thanks for your help on this :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.