Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Tracking

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  romanv 
#1 ·
If an individual sim card is fitted to the Kodiaq can the vehicle be tracked by ones mobile telephone?

#6 ·
Gizmo68 said:
BigfootW said:
You can't fit a SIM card into a uk spec car
If you order the 'internet package' (forget the official name for it and I'm on my phone) then you get a SIM card slot (between the SD card slots)
The irony is that it pretty much makes it useless for the purpose of tracking because the first thing a car thief will do is launch that sim card out the window.

#7 ·
Hugh Fanism said:
Gizmo68 said:
BigfootW said:
You can't fit a SIM card into a uk spec car
If you order the 'internet package' (forget the official name for it and I'm on my phone) then you get a SIM card slot (between the SD card slots)
The irony is that it pretty much makes it useless for the purpose of tracking because the first thing a car thief will do is launch that sim card out the window.
Only if the thief knows there's a SIM card in the car.

#9 ·
bigboss said:
Hugh Fanism said:
Gizmo68 said:
Only if the thief knows there's a SIM card in the car.
Car thiefs know the deal and the majority of criminals aren't stupid, they've just had a different type of education to you and I.

#10 ·
According to romanv, the tracking is done via internal SIM.

#11 ·
Yes, proactive service (free for first 14 years) and remote access (free for one year) are actually low-data transfer services and use internal SIM.

Info online (free for one or three years) needs large and fast data transffers and Skoda has decided that you should provide that via smartphone or LTE module/box.

It is better that way than the way used in Opel Astra where internal SIM has data limit (I believe 1gb per month) and it doesn't work in Slovenia yet. Another extreme is Renault R-link2 where internal SIM does download maps but it uses EDGE slow mobile connectivity and is actually useless for anything else.

#12 ·
I notice the chart doesn't include Google Street View which is the only service I can't seem to access on my Kodiaq in UK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.