Extended Warranty For Used Car

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
old man

Extended Warranty For Used Car

Post by old man » Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:03 am

My car is almost 3 years old and whilst I'd normally be thinking of p/xing it now, Covid and my liking of the car dictate that I will keep it a while longer.
It's likely I'll take out the extended warranty that Skoda offer, but can't decide on full component cover (a misnomer in itself) or named component cover.
To anyone else who faced this dilemma, which did you choose and why ?

Kenny R

Re: Extended Warranty For Used Car

Post by Kenny R » Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:07 pm

Only thing I can say is, when I put my Kodiaq into the dealer last week to get the noise from the rear end investigated I was informed I would need to pay £230 for them to investigate. I told them I had an extended warranty and they said I still had to pay the diagnostic charge, agreed under duress but next day they phoned to apologise, they hadn’t realised that it was the Manufacturer extended warranty from new I had and there wouldn’t be any payment due by me.
I would check exactly what the Skoda after 3rd year extended warranty covers as I know it’s not as comprehensive as the manufacturer extended warranty bought when car purchased new.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat.
17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.
On Order: Race Blue 1.5 tsi DSG Sportline. Heated windscreen/ steering wheel, virtual cockpit, family pack and Canton sound system. Due September

old man

Post by old man » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:27 pm

I would check exactly what the Skoda after 3rd year extended warranty covers as I know it’s not as comprehensive as the manufacturer extended warranty bought when car purchased new.
Definitely not as comprehensive as yours. If I'd known Covid was coming and that I'd keep the car, I'd have taken out the extended warranty as you did, but mine was a pre reg with 10 miles on the clock, so whether it would have been allowed, I don't know.
I've considered not extending the warranty as there are plenty of exclusions, but one decent claim that they will cover and the premium will pay for itself. The most I'd have to pay for all component cover would be £326 with £100 xs.

Another thing I discovered today, is that when the breakdown cover runs out, we can let it lapse and then take it out again at a later date e.g. next year. I already have AA cover from another source, but renewing with Skoda next year will give full cover inc European for £99 which is less than I can get European cover alone from the AA.

AlanaH

Post by AlanaH » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:53 am

we take hands of ours hopefully in October, i've never bought a brand new car and the extended warranty is something we spotted but wasnt sure of it. Is it good for the money then? We'd be looking to keep the car an additional 2 years
On Order Kodiaq Sportline with Virtual cockpit and Pano roof 1.5TSI DSG

old man

Post by old man » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:27 am

Personally I can't say if it's good value for money because I don't know how much it costs, but regardless of that, I like some peace of mind, so if I were buying a brand new car now I would pay for the extended warranty.
Like many other types of insurance, you have to make up your mind whether it suits your purpose e.g. many people reckon it's better not take out an insurance and save the premium that it would have cost and use that to pay for any repairs yourself. However, on a modern car, it doesn't take a lot of work at a garage (especially a main dealer) to rack up a large bill, but of course, if nothing goes wrong with the car after the 3 year warranty expires, then you've wasted your money. Choices, choices :?

TRB

Post by TRB » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:47 pm

I have just taken out the full component extended warranty for my four year old Kodiac. I have just had a problem with the automatic door protector near-side rear. When I speak to the Skoda garage they say its a cable problem and a replacement is £200 - £300. So I said thats ok I have a full warranty and they informed me it doesn’t cover this component. They suggested I contacted the department and I was pointed towards "the finance department" who replied saying the warranty was nothing to do with them I need to speak to the garage!!!
This is pretty poor and obviously the warranty is a waste of money.
Edition 2.0 TSI 180 PS 4x4 DSG Quartz Grey, Beige , Trigalve ,Rough road pkg, DCC,Pano,Tri-zone climate control, Space saver wheel, Virt. pedal, Heated Windscreen, ACC, Ambient lighting, Rear camera,Canton sound, Heated seats, Roller blinds, Service plan

old man

Post by old man » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:55 pm

TRB wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:47 pm
I have just taken out the full component extended warranty for my four year old Kodiac. I have just had a problem with the automatic door protector near-side rear. When I speak to the Skoda garage they say its a cable problem and a replacement is £200 - £300. So I said thats ok I have a full warranty and they informed me it doesn’t cover this component. They suggested I contacted the department and I was pointed towards "the finance department" who replied saying the warranty was nothing to do with them I need to speak to the garage!!!
That's good to know and not really surprising as many dealers have refused to fix the door protectors even under the new car warranty.
I've fixed my dilemma - I'm selling the Kodiaq tomorrow. :D
I'm sad to see it go though, as out of all the cars I've owned, this is the one I'll miss the most.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:48 pm

old man wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:55 pm
TRB wrote:
That's good to know and not really surprising as many dealers have refused to fix the door protectors even under the new car warranty.
I'm sad to see it go though, as out of all the cars I've owned, this is the one I'll miss the most.
Wow Old Man, 6 weeks ago you were hanging onto the Kodiaq! What changed your mind? and what are you replacing it with?
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 93kW, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, North West Leicestershire. :D

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 1:48 pm
old man wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:55 pm
TRB wrote:
Wow Old Man, 6 weeks ago you were hanging onto the Kodiaq! What changed your mind? and what are you replacing it with?
Sorry, only 2 weeks ago! 😮
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 93kW, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, North West Leicestershire. :D

old man

Post by old man » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:42 pm

O & G I'll drop you a PM later.