All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
kodiaq_fresher1

Buying my first Kodiak Edition ?

Post by kodiaq_fresher1 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:14 am

KodiakFresher
New here
2 posts
Posted 15 hours ago
I need some advice on whether to buy a used Edition 2020 model ( approx 3k miles).

Couple of questions as I have no idea about cars in general, a few basic reviews and I eventually landed up in the world of Skoda.

I currently have a Ford Fiesta ( 2007 ) model and am looking to upscale .

I have seen this new edition Kodiak model , with a very small mileage. I want some advice on whether to buy or not ?
  • is 1.5 engine a good choice ? My current usage is very minimal , as we'll use this car only weekend and long commutes, family outings etc. Can you please advise
  • I've been reading all these problems about kangaroo engine , and all that . Have all the problems been resolved ?
  • is edition a good choice in general , especially since it has been discontinued ?

(The joke running now is " of course any car is better than a Ford fiesta 2007 model!)

Colin Lambert

Re: Buying my first Kodiak Edition ?

Post by Colin Lambert » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:44 am

Hello Fresher,
Welcome to the forum.
The 1.5 engine is a fantastic unit. You need have no fear regarding the dreaded 'Kanga'. This only occurred on engines made in the first 6 months of '18.
My Kodiaq was the 6th on U.K. roads in '17 and had the 1.4 engine.
So I have no knowledge of the 1.5 in the Kodiaq.
However, I am now on my 3rd Karoq, all of which have had the 1.5 DSG set up. With gentle cross country driving I have achieved 50.1 mpg. Travelling up to the various speed limits I get 44mpg. and about 40 on a cross town drive. (10 miles across Bournemouth/Poole)
I doubt you will get quite as good as that because of the extra weight of the Kodiaq, but it won't be far adrift.
It is a remarkable engine with plenty or torque.

The 2.0L engine tends to be rather more thirsty and unless you intend to keep it until it dies, I would not touch diesel. Especially if you are doing lots of short journeys, which are death for diesel engines. Although modern diesels tend to be 'cleaner' than many petrol engines, as a car fuel it cannot shake off the stigma it gained of old and exacerbated by the VW 'Dieselgate" problem.

The Edition is towards the top end of the Kodiaq range and has all the useful 'toys'.
It would be my choice If I was to be considering a Kodiaq. The Laurin & Klement is, in my opinion not worth the extra cost. Even if you could find one.
I only went to the Karoqs because I found the Kodiaq bigger than I needed.
My current one is my 8th Skoda, which says it all really!
Good luck.
Sportline .1.5DSG. Race Blue. S/s spare, KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:31 am

If you find a car with the 2.0 TSi engine, don't be deterred: in my experience, it's far more economical than I expected (I can compare exact same journeys with my previous Golf estate Alltrack) and it's a really, really nice engine that suits the DSG box: lots of low-down torque, quiet and smooth.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:57 pm

Fully agree with the above, the extra fuel costs with a low annual mileage will be negligible.
The 2.0 tsi combined with the DSG is a great combination and I regularly see 34-37 mpg driving locally and low 40’s on a long run.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat.
17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.
On Order: Race Blue 1.5 tsi DSG Sportline. Heated windscreen/ steering wheel, virtual cockpit, family pack and Canton sound system. Due September

stephendutton1963

Post by stephendutton1963 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:57 pm

SinglePointSafety wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:31 am
If you find a car with the 2.0 TSi engine, don't be deterred: in my experience, it's far more economical than I expected (I can compare exact same journeys with my previous Golf estate Alltrack) and it's a really, really nice engine that suits the DSG box: lots of low-down torque, quiet and smooth.
Fully agree :D

old man

Post by old man » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Kenny R & stephendutton1963

Out of interest, what mode do you normally drive in e.g. comfort, sport, eco ?
I've never seen more than the low 30s in mine and local driving normally gives me around 27mpg. Even on long runs in France it's never shown more than 34mpg, but I do normally have a large canoe on the roof.
I keep mine in Sport mode all of the time because that's the steering wheel feel that I like best and whilst no boy racer, I don't hang about.
Having read what mpg you and others claim to get, I wonder if using Comfort mode makes much difference to fuel consumption. I tried Eco once and I'm not going there again :roll:

Kenny R

Post by Kenny R » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:11 pm

old man wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:34 pm
Kenny R & stephendutton1963

Out of interest, what mode do you normally drive in e.g. comfort, sport, eco ?
I've never seen more than the low 30s in mine and local driving normally gives me around 27mpg. Even on long runs in France it's never shown more than 34mpg, but I do normally have a large canoe on the roof.
I keep mine in Sport mode all of the time because that's the steering wheel feel that I like best and whilst no boy racer, I don't hang about.
Having read what mpg you and others claim to get, I wonder if using Comfort mode makes much difference to fuel consumption. I tried Eco once and I'm not going there again :roll:
Mine is in normal D, and I have the steering set to sports mode in the individual mode.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat.
17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.
On Order: Race Blue 1.5 tsi DSG Sportline. Heated windscreen/ steering wheel, virtual cockpit, family pack and Canton sound system. Due September

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 pm

Mine is set in Normal mode for engine/throttle response, eco for the air-con, comfort for the ride. I've never seen < 40 mpg from a tankful, most journeys are country roads and motorways, towbar-mounted bike rack with one bike on it. On a trip last October to The Lakes, lots of speed restrictions on the motorways, got indicated 50 mpg (and my checks have shown this is pretty accurate). I also have 17-inch wheels with lovely high-profile all-season Michelin CC+ tyres, to cope with the terrible roads round here. The 7-speed DSG box and low-down torque of the engine means that the car gets into D7 very quickly and stays there on any motorway hill I've encountered.

old man

Post by old man » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:30 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I use the same modes as you Kenny, so perhaps I need to change my lead boots for daps.
To be honest, as a low mileage driver now, the low mpg isn't of great concern to me unless it's a fault with the car that's causing it.

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:35 pm

When you consider all of the costs of having a car, the differences in fuel consumption are kind of 'lost in the noise' unless you do lots of miles and drive with a diver's boot on your accelerator foot