5 seater questions

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Grandad Brian

5 seater questions

Post by Grandad Brian » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:31 pm

Well I’ve now got a shortlist of 9 on the approved used Kodiaq site all five seats as I would never use seven so don’t want to put up with the weight and space disadvantage. Unfortunately I don’t feel comfortable going any further until I have driven the two engines I am interested in.

I do have a couple of questions though.

1. Is there a cover available for the five seat Kodiaq that will bring the boot floor up flatter and provide hidden storage underneath?

2. How easy is it to add a spare wheel and can it be full size?

Socoflyer

Re: 5 seater questions

Post by Socoflyer » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:39 pm

Hi Brian,
I recently bought a spare wheel for my 5 seater. It's a space saver and came with a cover which raises the floor a few centimetres but still not flush with the boot edge. It cost just shy of £250 from a dealer ( Caffyns of Ashford) and is genuine VAG. This is quite a bit more expensive than you can get a wheel elsewhere but they don't come with a cover/floor. It wouldn't take much to make your own floor out of MDF or similar but frankly I took the view that having paid what I did for the car why spoil the ship for a ha'peth of tar. I don't know if you can get a full size spare but I suspect not. Hope this helps.

Zach

Post by Zach » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:51 am

BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

JamieK

Post by JamieK » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:22 am

It's an old topic.

viewtopic.php?t=1161&start=10

You'd be looking at around 270Euro + vat. ( or more if you want the filler piece which sits between the rear seats and the under the raised boot floor ).

If it were me I'd be going for a cheap easy DIY option - at the end of the day, it's only the boot. Would also be keeping my eyes open breakers for the OEM parts.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:28 pm

To make the floor completely flat you will either have to buy the (exorbitantly priced) kit form Skoda or as abovbe. Build your own.
Don't waste your money buying a spare from Skoda. Even the supposed full size one is speed limited. I bought a spacesaver for my Karoq from the local scrappy. Brand new out of a write off complete with jack and tools, still in original wrapping. £72
Sportline .1.5DSG. Race Blue. S/s spare, KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

old man

Post by old man » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:50 pm

I bought a new space saver spare wheel (not what you asked, I know) with jack from the internet. It was around £137 from memory.
In the boot, I took out the styrene former that holds the puncture kit from the well and placed the wheel and jack in there. There is some space left around the wheel and in the dish of the wheel to store small items.
I then made a boot floor from MDF that I already had. I affixed 6 short legs made from 2" X 2" that just covered the new wheel and put the new floor at a similar level to the original. I put the original, stiffened carpet floor on top of that and I also have a plastic boot floor liner on top of that, so now you wouldn't know what I'd done.
At the height I've made the floor, a full size spare won't fit underneath, but if I'd made the legs longer thereby raising the height of the boot floor, then a full size spare would fit. You would gain a little more hidden storage around the wheel, but of course, you'd lose space in the boot. I prefer it the way I've done it.

My solution, whilst not as aesthetically pleasing as an expensive dealer option, was very easy to make, especially as I already had the bits I needed and it probably only took around an hour.
The floor I've made is in 2 parts and hinged. I have the smaller hinged section just behind the rear seats, so when I fold or slide the rear seats forward, I can access some hidden storage from there.

If you have the wherewithal to make your own, you can tailor it to your own needs and it really wasn't difficult.

I understand your need to have a proper spare wheel for foreign travel as that can mean the difference in making your ferry/train on time. I often travel through the night to get to a port, but in the end, I figured that if I arrived late, there's normally space on the next ferry/train, unless you're travelling in peak season.