New member - which engine

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Bigdaveuk

New member - which engine

Post by Bigdaveuk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:06 pm

Hi all. I’ve had a right week trying to test drive 5 cars on my short list. Only managed the kodiaq as all other badges refused my test drive because I have 9 points.

Now it’s unfair to say that’s the reason I’m getting a kodiaq, that would be unfair to the qualities of the car of which I was pleasantly impressed with... being new to Skoda an all.

So my question. I’m wanting the sport line probably in the odd looking meteor grey. But what engine would you guys recommend? I’m only going to be doing 10k a year. My commute is 10 miles.

I drove the SE L on the test drive which had the 190 diesel 4x4 auto. I’d like 4x4 and automatic but petrol or diesel? Is the petrol nippier ?

Also suggestions for worthwhile options... such as virtual cockpit and pano roof... is the usb and induction charging an option or revised spec? (SE L had old USB port and the sportline in the showroom had usbc and Wireless charging.

Much appreciated

old man

Re: New member - which engine

Post by old man » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:22 pm

I have the Se L 2.0Tsi and I find it quite peppy in sport mode. I've always preferred petrol over diesel, but I came from a 2015 Diesel Hyundai Santa Fe and I much prefer this car.
My advice and from others in the motor trade, is get petrol for your stated mileage, unless you intend to tow something heavy. If you're coming from a diesel and you're a spirited driver, you'll find the 2.0 Tsi a little thirsty, but for low mileage that's negated by the lower cost of the car and the fuel.
And there's also the 1.5 petrol as well, which isn't so thirsty.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Assuming you are buying and not hiring and based on only 10k miles per annum I would suggest petrol rather diesel. It’s only going to get worst for both but I think diesel cars will be hit quicker and harder than petrol by the government and tree huggers. Some people rave about the 1.5 petrol but I have a diesel so cannot really comment on the day to day experience. Also depends on your driving style, maybe go to the 190 rather than 150 if you want to be more enthusiastic behind the wheel, that said it will never be like a sports car.

I have the virtual cockpit and love it, add the extra £45 onto the bill for the driver personalisation is a must, an extra key and the car changes the seats mirrors and other setting to yours when you open it. Worthwhile if you share the car.

Other than that I love the Sportline, not sure about the battleship grey but it’s each to their own on that one.....
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Bigdaveuk

Post by Bigdaveuk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:44 pm

The dealer told me the 2.0 tdi was a 190bhp/ps whatever the rating is. But Skoda website says otherwise. Am I correct that the 2.0d is 150ps and the 2.0petrol is 190?

I’m coming from a Nissan navara 2.5ltr diesel. It’s mpg was about 25. And the reason I sold it. Was too thirsty for commuting. Though the kodiaq was much more refined than the pickup but it just felt a fair bit slower. It may have been the auto box deciding to actually go when setting of from the lights I’m not sure.

My weekend car is a Lotus Exige so anything will feel slow compared to that.

I may rent (lease) or finance. Not sure yet.

Out of interest foxtrotalpha, what colour did you opt for? I quite like the blue and perhaps the red... the grey is deffo a marmite colour. I find it interesting, looks Matt but it’s not.

EDIT: sorry just noticed your signature with the quartz grey

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:08 pm

There is a 1.5tsi which is 150bhp but there was issues with that engine initially but I think that has been resolved.. I have the 150bhp diesel which does what I need and does about 45-50mpg if I behave. I drove the 1.4tsi which was its predecessor but I wasn’t overly impressed, that said I was in the minority on here. I don’t think it will give you the power you are used too but I could be wrong.

My comment about the colour was tongue in cheek, I preferred the quartz grey and at the time it was a no cost option. I think the Sportline is the the better looking one except for vRS so it would be the one I still choose as the vRS is overpriced. The meteor grey was seen all over the place last year, not only on Skoda, Audi but also on Fords, for me it’s a bit Marmite and fad colour. Can anyone remember that horrendous metallic puke yellow that was once a vRS only colour.... bet they did resell well.

In terms of buying, PCP or PHC I went for the latter and for me the benefits of the contract hire out way the risks and benefits of buying. Once again I think I was in the minority. I’m telling you it’s the future!
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Bigdaveuk

Post by Bigdaveuk » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:34 pm

Thanks for the detailed response foxtrot.

Yeh I agree it’s marmite, once in a while I quite fancy some of that. Especially the new peanut butter one lol. Yes I remember seeing it first on an Audi rs6/rs4 or something and thinking it looked like dolphins skin. The skoda type
Of the same paint is a bit lighter.

I think I’ll plump for the 190 Petrol. The cost of the fuel will probably negate the mpg loss anyway. I’m guessing at 10k but it may well be 5k until life returns to pre Covid routines.

I tend to run 3 cars though work and normally contract hire for the same reasons you mention. The pickup I bought to get rid of some ‘profit’ prior to the corp tax bill, vat saving and Ofcourse avoid company car tax. Yet I wished I’d of leased it. So doubtful I’ll do that again.

Zach

Post by Zach » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:39 pm

Before buying my first Kodiaq I drove both the 190PS TDI and 180PS TSI and preferred the diesel because of the mid range torque suiting my heavy foot more. I found that I had to work the petrol a bit more and it wasn’t as effortless but definitely better refined NVH wise. Both ended up being too slow at the end and I ended up ordering an RS after two years :lol:
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

blakey7

Post by blakey7 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:44 pm

Just for info i have the 190 Diesel edition in quartz grey. Its no slouch although if you compare with your lotus that's another story. I need the diesel for towing. Love the car probably the best car i have owned and also great at towing.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:25 am

If you are paying your own money and don't need to tow. Diesel is a huge NO-NO. DERVS are depreciating like a brick in a vacuum. You will loose shed loads unless you keep it 'til it dies.
Modern petrol engines are so much more economical and bearing in mind the price differential between the two fuels. the advantage of diesel is waning rapidly.
Since you have a quick toy I would personally go for the 1.5 EVO TSi the initial problems with this engine kangarooing was only in early 18 engines and was mainly on manuals. There are no problems now.
It also has the capability to run on 2 pots under light throttle loads whic is supposed to save you petrol. I have had 3 1.5 DSG and would highly recommend it.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:06 am

As an owner of a 2.0 TSi, I would agree totally with Colin - modern petrol engines are now surprisingly economical, and (usual caveats: my style of driving and the roads I use) I have never seen < 40 mpg from a tankful. It's also a quiet and smooth engine, with lots of low-down torque, making it a good match for the DSG box.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras