Skoda Kodiaq SUV Forum banner

Alloy insurance

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  scratch113 
#1 ·
Hi all

Keen to get views on taking out alloy insurance for my new Kodiaq through the dealer. It is something I am keen on but don't have much experience with this specific form of insurance. Dealer offer that I'm looking at is max 12 claims within 24 months for £200. Are there any other providers out there that come highly recommended before i give the dealer my coin?

#2 ·
With the 19" Triglavs, I wouldn't bother to be honest. The tyre sticks out past the actual rim by almost around 2cm anyways, so you'd really have to be trying to kerb your rim if you manage to scuff it. Now if you had the 20" rims then the £200 seems rather reasonable.

#3 ·
You are looking at between £150-£260 in the UK for 19" Triglav rims. The cheaper ones are on eBay the more expensive are dealer supply and for anthracite versions.

I have 20" rims on mine and one was slightly damaged on a rough road due to the low profile rime and quite a large stone. That's life I guess, but it does show that depending where you live and the roads you drive on will really dictate the risk and if it's worthwhile. The damage on mine is difficult to see and repairable so not too worried until it's returned.

Would be interesting to know what the best price you get quoted is.

#4 ·
Again with 19" Triglavs the tyre wall protrudes and is deep enough to avoid scuffing. 3 years and not a mark. Depends on alloy size and tyre.

#5 ·
Pink72 said:
Again with 19" Triglavs the tyre wall protrudes and is deep enough to avoid scuffing. 3 years and not a mark. Depends on alloy size and tyre.
I had 19" Triglavs on my old Kodiaq and you are right the tyre wall does offer some protection but not 100%, it wont protect against a kerb if attacked from the right direction or speed.

I take mine down tracks where I live which are not great as they are quite rocky, I did get some damage to the triglavs but not on the rim edge as you would expect due to the spokes.

We also have some stunning potholes on our roads which would also take out an alloy, seen it gone twice on the same pothole (not by me). I reported that last November and it still gets bigger.

If you are a city dweller and rarely take it off tarmac then I would agree with you but if you do live more rural then it maybe worth it. All depends on your circumstances.

Although there was slight damage to those alloy Skoda took it back with no complaints so all was good.

#6 ·
Not sure I'd bother - I didn't for my car and I've got the 20" Vega alloys on the Sportline. 18 months in and I haven't damaged one yet.

D'Oh! That's the curse put on them now I've said it!!!

Then again, when I park it's only a short walk to the kerb...
;) :lol:

On the other hand I did take the cosmetic damage insurance that was offered and have used it as well - my son drove the handle of his scooter into the front wing when I was parked in the car park at the local park and took a big chunk of paint off, right through to the white undercoat. Entire panel resprayed and it only cost me the £25 excess. It allows for a maximum of 4 claims over the 4 years it runs for up to a total maximum claim of £3000. Can't remember the quoted cost, but it was more than offset by the discount offered on the car, so decided to take it. Also took GAP and paint protection - again, same reasoning that they were effectively "free" as the discount wasn't as good if I didn't take them, so bit of a no-brainer really!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.