All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Westie5

Re: Model Year 21 Changes

Post by Westie5 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:17 am

Zach wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:59 am
Westie5 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 am
Similarly a CD player is better converting the source than USB. You then have to take in to account that each time you record something, you suffer loss, so the very act of copying the CD means you've already lost information.
As you know, CD’s are digital...so if you rip them to FLAC you are losing an imperceivable amount of detail. Saying there’s a definite difference is a mix of placebo and pedantry.
Westie5 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:34 am
If you're able to hear wind, engine and tyre noise then obviously the audio systems you've been listening to aren't powerful enough. That may well be the case with the Canton - don't know, haven't heard it yet.

Most manufacturers systems are notoriously poor but if you get a chance to listen to something like Baumuster in say an E-class or B&W in a Volvo, you might get it. If you have a good source + amplifier matched to quality set of component speakers in the front plus a sub, you'd be amazed at what you can achieve. Admittedly, a Skoda may not be the best environment to install the system.
So your plan is just to turn the volume up and cry ignorance? With all that background noise you’re losing detail regardless of how loud you’re listening to music.
OK, perhaps it's best I give up this forum as people are obviously out for an argument. Nowhere above have I asked for advice and to start implying other members are stupid is not exactly what I expected.

Your last comment is utter ignorance. You obviously have no experience of being in a vehicle with a decent sound system. If the background noise is as bad as you say, I'd suggest you buy better vehicles. Now if you'd said a car is one of the worst environments to achieve decent sound quality sound given the different materials absorb sound waves, I may have taken you a little more seriously, but it's obvious I'm being lectured by someone who's ignornat and just out for an arguement.

I hope you don't treat every new member like this.

Goodbye, and hope you all enjoy your cars.
UK Sportline 1.5tsi DSG - race blue - on order for late Oct del.

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:48 am

Surely it's a given that listening in what's essentially a rolling greenhouse with windows refecting sound etc is obviously isn't going to be good for acoustics, what's the point of mentioning something we both know? Saying I obviously have no experience being in cars with high end sound systems is an absolute joke. Until you get to the Bowers & Wilkins systems with the interior of a 7 series etc no car has good interior acoustings and dampening while also having a top notch sound system. If you've driven Audis with the trick B&O system with the acoustic lens tweeters, you'll probably know that the highs get fatiguing after a while since they're so focused and don't disperse the sound as well as normal tweeters.

Even with acoustic glass and closing the sunroof blind (in the hopes it dampens some unwanted reflections) to drown out background sound you have to go about 2/3 volume which gets rather fatiguing after a while. You'll need a lot of sound dampening to get the Kodiaq to the point where you don't need blaringly loud volume to listen to music with some proper detail. For someone wanting properly high quality sounds, you should've ordered an XC60/90 with the Bowers & Wilkins sound system, not a Skoda with what sounds like every other branded mid-tier Harman sysem. You'll probably be disappointed with the Canton system.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

NZsnala

Post by NZsnala » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:20 am

I'd suggest listening while stationery with the car not going is completely different to moving. Canton sounds acceptable while stationery with decent input sourcing but the low levels of sound damping compared to true limousine type vehicles let alone suspension and bump compliance isn't going away when moving. The only way to get rid of that in a car like this is noise cancelling headphones.

It will be interesting to see what eventuates in the VRs space for the Kodiaq let alone Karoq for 2021. I've got used to the diesel so far and while it is not a T6 Volvo/BMW perf model in performance its still the best performing in the Kodiaq line and does it quite casually. Suits me living in the country.
206kw petrol would be interesting comparison with the lower torque but higher power to drive.
2019 Kodiaq VRS

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:32 am

Yup, I like the Canton system. For a mid tier car it’s definitely good and sounds better tuned than the VW Dynaudio branded system. Even while moving it’s pretty good but definitely not stellar in any way. The bass can be a bit muddy (for whatever reason it sounds boomier than my first Kodiaq and I have the sub set at 2 and not 5) but the mids and highs sound good to me. I never said the Canton system is bad but I’m not an audiophile, and anyone who expects the quality to be as good as a top tier car (X5 B&W, Q7 B&O) is going to be disappointed.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:35 am

Westie5 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 am
You may have two sources that are identical, but it's the way those sources are converted that makes the difference.
So you agree then that the CD and the FLAC file are identical, but it may be the (part of the-) device that converts the FLAC or WAV to analogue that is the problem?

I suppose that could be the problem with the Kodiaq when compared with other cars / home HiFi systems. I have not as much experience with this as you obviously do.
I (we?) assumed you were lamenting the FLAC and WAV file formats in general.
Westie5 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:17 am
Goodbye, and hope you all enjoy your cars.
That was not my intent. I apologise.
Please don't get too upset if someone takes an opposing view.
MY21 SE-L 1.5 TSI, DSG , Business Grey, Front DashCam

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:48 am

Westie5 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:34 am
If you're able to hear wind, engine and tyre noise then obviously the audio systems you've been listening to aren't powerful enough.
If you ramp up the sound so high so you lose the sound of engine, tyres, wind, road etc. you also have the added benefit of not hearing the siren on the police car/ ambulance/ fire appliance approaching the traffic junction where you have a green light and are so absorbed in your music that you fail to see said vehicle trying to safely negotiate a path through other traffic and a red light. Loud music drivers are self nominating themselves and their passengers for a Darwin award.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, Leicestershire. :D

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:09 am

Interesting bit of this whole thread, although it's a shame it's become a little bit confrontational in some people's view.

I listen to music in my Kodiaq: I'm no longer young but I can still definitely appreciate the difference between the sound quality of Spotify (non-premium) via Android Auto, and SD card as source, the latter having music in compressed format. I've also tried the CD player v compressed SD source and can just about hear the difference, but it's marginal and perhaps illusory. Putting lossless onto the SD card would eliminate the difference surely, assuming that both the SD card and CD player are routed through the same DAC before going to the amp? Unless of course the read rate of the SD card isn't sufficient, but a good-quality SD card should easily cope.

Thus I can't see how removing the CD player is a problem in real life. My experience is that for good sound quality the 'standard' audio setup isn't a strong point of the Kodiaq (noticeably worse than my previous Golf) but having listened to a colleague's Canton system in his Superb, that just sounded equally 'tinny and distorted' but with better bass. My choice (and to keep the list price below £40K) was to have improved front speakers fitted by a local car audio shop, who also put additional sound insulation in the front doors and elsewhere as part of the installation. That made a real difference and was cheaper than the Canton upgrade, got a slightly quieter car as a bonus. And since I've changed the supplied wheels/tyres to 17-inch with 65-section Michelin Cross-Climate, the road noise in the car is minimal, so that at least gives the sound system a fighting chance.

Sorry to slightly divert back to another issue.... does anyone know if the USB outlet near the mirror is ignition-only? Would assume so, since it's clearly intended to make installing a dashcam a trivial task, but with Skoda, well, er.....
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras

old man

Post by old man » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:00 am

Scuse my ignorance, but this USB outlet only on more expensive models or is it a recent addition on later models ?
I ask because I don't have one up there on my SeL.

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:51 pm

SinglePointSafety wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:09 am
Interesting bit of this whole thread, although it's a shame it's become a little bit confrontational in some people's view.

I listen to music in my Kodiaq: I'm no longer young but I can still definitely appreciate the difference between the sound quality of Spotify (non-premium) via Android Auto, and SD card as source, the latter having music in compressed format. I've also tried the CD player v compressed SD source and can just about hear the difference, but it's marginal and perhaps illusory. Putting lossless onto the SD card would eliminate the difference surely, assuming that both the SD card and CD player are routed through the same DAC before going to the amp? Unless of course the read rate of the SD card isn't sufficient, but a good-quality SD card should easily cope.

Thus I can't see how removing the CD player is a problem in real life. My experience is that for good sound quality the 'standard' audio setup isn't a strong point of the Kodiaq (noticeably worse than my previous Golf) but having listened to a colleague's Canton system in his Superb, that just sounded equally 'tinny and distorted' but with better bass. My choice (and to keep the list price below £40K) was to have improved front speakers fitted by a local car audio shop, who also put additional sound insulation in the front doors and elsewhere as part of the installation. That made a real difference and was cheaper than the Canton upgrade, got a slightly quieter car as a bonus. And since I've changed the supplied wheels/tyres to 17-inch with 65-section Michelin Cross-Climate, the road noise in the car is minimal, so that at least gives the sound system a fighting chance.

Sorry to slightly divert back to another issue.... does anyone know if the USB outlet near the mirror is ignition-only? Would assume so, since it's clearly intended to make installing a dashcam a trivial task, but with Skoda, well, er.....
I personally can't hear an appreciable difference when driving between Spotify Premium (160kbps/320kbps OGG Vorbis which is better than MP3) and FLAC via SD. Even with the streaming service Tidal, I can't hear a difference between the normal 'hi-fi' quality and the 'master' quality which is supposed to be crazy detailed. I don't really think the DAC supports the 24bit 96khz audio that Tidal 'master' uses.

What Golf did you have? I daily drive a Mk7 Golf wagon and the sound system is rubbish even compared to my previous B6 generation Passat. I doubt the speakers are blown, but there's absolutely no bass...it's almost like listening to laptop speakers.

Regarding the new USB outlet (for MY21 onwards), Skoda haven't said whether it's live or ignition powered...

SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:20 am

Hi Zach, to answer your Q, previous car was a 2017 Golf Alltrack, and the standard factory-fit sound system was noticeably better than our Kodiaq's and had sufficient bass. Had a Passat estate once for a courtesy car and its sound system wasn't noticeably different to, and certainly not better than, our Golf's.

Could do like-for-like comparison since I play the same music in both cars ie Golf and Kodiaq, and the Kodiaq lacked bass and was 'tinny' and slightly distorted even at medium volume. Both cars are/were fitted with Michelin all-season tyres, which, especially on the Golf, made a significant reduction in road noise, and in turn that helps hugely with enjoyment of the music.
Kodiaq Edition 2.0TSi Business Grey, with some extras