Model Year 21 Changes

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Plodd

Re: Model Year 21 Changes

Post by Plodd » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:20 pm

Westie5 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 am
J

5: But the MASSIVE disappointment for me is there is no mention of a CD player. I spec'd Canton for that very reason. :roll: Ah well. I don't care much for music sound quality via DAB, USB and especially BT audio so it'd seem I'm only left with FM.

This is a wind up isn't it. CD player has been replaced with an 8 track for Luddites.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4X4 DSG SE L in Business Grey. Replacing an SE 150 DSG diesel in moon white.

Westie5

Post by Westie5 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:39 pm

Plodd wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:20 pm
Westie5 wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:10 am
J

5: But the MASSIVE disappointment for me is there is no mention of a CD player. I spec'd Canton for that very reason. :roll: Ah well. I don't care much for music sound quality via DAB, USB and especially BT audio so it'd seem I'm only left with FM.

This is a wind up isn't it. CD player has been replaced with an 8 track for Luddites.
In anticipation of the new arrival, I've set about archiving my CD collection and tried both .flac and .wav files. All I can say is I play them back on my home system and there's an appreciable loss in sound quality.

Found six empty CD cases when I went thru my collection which is the exact number of discs used by my old CD changer. Something tells me the ebay buyer of that changer got a surprise bonus. Talk about gutted. :x
UK Sportline 1.5tsi DSG - race blue - on order for late Oct del.

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:16 pm

Westie5 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:39 pm
In anticipation of the new arrival, I've set about archiving my CD collection and tried both .flac and .wav files. All I can say is I play them back on my home system and there's an appreciable loss in sound quality.
Sorry, but your ears are deceiving you.
Both FLAC and WAV are lossless formats and sound as good as the source they originated from.
MY21 SE-L 1.5 TSI, DSG , Business Grey, Front DashCam

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 pm

I also don't get why aim for such high audio quality in an environment filled with wind, engine and tyre noise?
MY21 SE-L 1.5 TSI, DSG , Business Grey, Front DashCam

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 am

100% agree with iwarv. Thinking CD sounds better than a lossless digital format is 99% placebo, same goes for a high quality MP3/OGG Vorbis file compared to a FLAC file. Also, when you're on the road, there will be just about no difference going from lossless quality to a compressed audio format. I've had Canton on both of my Kodiaqs and I've mostly been listening to music via Spotify using Apple CarPlay and it still sounds good.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Westie5

Post by Westie5 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 am

iwarv wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:16 pm
Westie5 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:39 pm
Sorry, but your ears are deceiving you.
Both FLAC and WAV are lossless formats and sound as good as the source they originated from.
With all due respect, you're showing your ignorance.

You may have two sources that are identical, but it's the way those sources are converted that makes the difference. If you have two identical vinyl records and one is played on a £20 record deck from Argos and the other is played on a Linn Sondek with a Roksan arm and cartridge, even Vincent van Goch would be able to tell the difference. Similarly a CD player is better converting the source than USB. You then have to take in to account that each time you record something, you suffer loss, so the very act of copying the CD means you've already lost information.
Last edited by Westie5 on Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Westie5

Post by Westie5 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:34 am

iwarv wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:33 pm
I also don't get why aim for such high audio quality in an environment filled with wind, engine and tyre noise?
If you're able to hear wind, engine and tyre noise then obviously the audio systems you've been listening to aren't powerful enough. That may well be the case with the Canton - don't know, haven't heard it yet.

Most manufacturers systems are notoriously poor but if you get a chance to listen to something like Baumuster in say an E-class or B&W in a Volvo, you might get it. If you have a good source + amplifier matched to quality set of component speakers in the front plus a sub, you'd be amazed at what you can achieve. Admittedly, a Skoda may not be the best environment to install the system.

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:59 am

Westie5 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:20 am
Similarly a CD player is better converting the source than USB. You then have to take in to account that each time you record something, you suffer loss, so the very act of copying the CD means you've already lost information.
As you know, CD’s are digital...so if you rip them to FLAC you are losing an imperceivable amount of detail. Saying there’s a definite difference is a mix of placebo and pedantry.
Westie5 wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:34 am
If you're able to hear wind, engine and tyre noise then obviously the audio systems you've been listening to aren't powerful enough. That may well be the case with the Canton - don't know, haven't heard it yet.

Most manufacturers systems are notoriously poor but if you get a chance to listen to something like Baumuster in say an E-class or B&W in a Volvo, you might get it. If you have a good source + amplifier matched to quality set of component speakers in the front plus a sub, you'd be amazed at what you can achieve. Admittedly, a Skoda may not be the best environment to install the system.
So your plan is just to turn the volume up and cry ignorance? With all that background noise you’re losing detail regardless of how loud you’re listening to music.
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Westie5

Post by Westie5 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:01 am

Zach wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:22 am
100% agree with iwarv. Thinking CD sounds better than a lossless digital format is 99% placebo, same goes for a high quality MP3/OGG Vorbis file compared to a FLAC file. Also, when you're on the road, there will be just about no difference going from lossless quality to a compressed audio format. I've had Canton on both of my Kodiaqs and I've mostly been listening to music via Spotify using Apple CarPlay and it still sounds good.
See explanation above of why it's not placebo. You can have exactly the same files played thru the same amp and same speakers, but what you've failed to grasp is those files are being converted by two different sources. That's where the difference is.

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:14 am

You know that there are services that are getting the files straight from the publishers right? So you want to tell me if I streamed a lossless file that’s straight from the publisher that it won’t sound as good as a CD?