AIR CON

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
MARKLEGGE1

AIR CON

Post by MARKLEGGE1 » Wed May 20, 2020 3:27 pm

With the weather getting hotter recently i have been using my Air Con with the temperature set on low.
But the air con seems to be struggling to keep the car cold.
I have an SEL model & it was brand new in February this year, before that i had Ford S-Max's for the last 9 years & Fords Air Con
definitely seemed a lot better & more effective.
Has anyone else had problems with the Air Con or is it just mine?
Grateful for comments..... Thanks

Kenny R

Re: AIR CON

Post by Kenny R » Wed May 20, 2020 3:57 pm

My SEL has been set to 19°C , auto and ac on since day one 24/7 365, same as my 2 previous Yetis, and I’ve never felt too hot or cold.
If you keep it selected to lo for any length of time the condenser will freeze up with ice and restrict air flow making it very inefficient.
Candy White 2.0 TSi SE L 7 seat. Heated windscreen/ nozzles, kids pack, front rear parking sensors, reversing camera and spare wheel, Milotec rear bumper inserts.
And for the winter months: 17” Black alloys with 215x65x17 Nokian WR SUV3 winter tyres.

old man

Post by old man » Wed May 20, 2020 5:02 pm

For the summer temperatures that we (sometimes) enjoy, the Kodiaq A/C copes okay, I do get the impression though that it doesn't get as cool as other cars I've had.
I had a problem with my previous car, a Hyundai Santa Fe, where the A/C cut out at 26C and restarted later when everything had cooled down. My dealer could find no fault, but I discovered that the fault wasn't uncommon. One of the fixes was, when the outside temp was hot, use the air recirculation setting, so the car isn't then drawing in hot air from outside, it's using air from inside the car that's already been cooled.
I know we shouldn't have to resort to such measures, especially in our climate, but if it works...…….. :D

Pink72

Post by Pink72 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:20 pm

You should be able to adjust the AC profile from low to high in auto mode. Setting to high should improve performance. It is not high by default.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed May 20, 2020 7:27 pm

I remember my previous car, a VW purchased new in 2007, had icy air-con. It was my first car with air-con purchased because we were fed up with sweltering in the car in France in August. One doesn't need air-con in the same way in the UK but taken by the novelty of a mobile fridge I usually had it on full blast for a few years, then failed to keep it regassed as the novelty fell away. I have since become more environmentally friendly and object to the significantly worse fuel consumption and tend to have the window open at city speeds and on the open road where the speed limit in my area is rarely over 40mph. At motorway speeds when I have rarely needed it I have noticied it is not as chilly as the VW, it takes the edge off rather than makes it properly cold, but I drive in ECO mode and I know that this turns the air-con down to save fuel. Thinking aloud I wonder if all modern cars have less chilly air-con as part of a green drive to save the planet? Does anyone have a recent Ford or VW to compare?
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Zach

Post by Zach » Wed May 20, 2020 10:24 pm

I reckon my Kodiaq has cooler air con compared to my 2015 Golf. That said you could get a ceramic tint installed on your car to reduce inside heat without having to go dark. Take a look at 3M Crystalline: https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/116 ... ochure.pdf
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

MARKLEGGE1

Post by MARKLEGGE1 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:58 am

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated. I think i'll set it on Auto to about 18/19 degrees & go from there.
Good to hear other experiences.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Thu May 21, 2020 10:37 am

I must admit I was rather underwhelmed with my Kodiaq's AC. I have certainly had colder. The Karoq is not much better.
The heaters on both, on the other hand are fantastic!
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu May 21, 2020 11:00 am

I think we need to see air-con as a way to make the heat bearable rather than properly cool.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu May 21, 2020 2:55 pm

Bearable is a very subjective definition so call me old fashioned but I would like to see air con systems capable of cooling the cars interior to the specified temperature as efficiently as possible.

The Kodiaq seems to be able to do that.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey