All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Old and Grumpy

Re: Kodiaq bling

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:49 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:16 pm
Colin Lambert wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 pm
Gosh! something the poor man's Karoq has that the upmarket Kodiaq doesn't.
Frankly I would swap the puddlelights (in the doors, not the mirrors) of the Karoq for the gas strut bonnet of the Kodiaq instead of the peasant version piece of thick wire on the Kroq.
Personally I find those lights look cheap and tacky so not having them on the Kodiaq is a benefit.
But the gas strut bonet is a real boon, able to open the bonnet with one hand without messing up the paintwork with the oily rag in the other :) hand.
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 pm

Old and Grumpy wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:49 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Colin Lambert wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 pm
Gosh! something the poor man's Karoq has that the upmarket Kodiaq doesn't.
Frankly I would swap the puddlelights (in the doors, not the mirrors) of the Karoq for the gas strut bonnet of the Kodiaq instead of the peasant version piece of thick wire on the Kroq.

Personally I find those lights look cheap and tacky so not having them on the Kodiaq is a benefit.
But the gas strut bonet is a real boon, able to open the bonnet with one hand without messing up the paintwork with the oily rag in the other :) hand.
FA. Do you know which lights I refer to? Have you actually seen them on a Karoq? Or rather on the ground below a Karoq's doors.
How can the word Skoda look 'cheap & tacky'? If you think that is the case I suggest you sell your Karoq and buy a Ford, or at least take ALL the Skoda badges off your Kodiaq? You can't see any light fitments as they are set into the underside of the doors and are completely invisible unless you want to lie on the ground and look up at the underside of the door. All you can see when the door is open is the projected image in white. They are standard fitment on the Edition Karoq. I think you must be getting confused with something else.
If you really do know the lights I'm talking about it's quite simple, don't buy a a Karoq Edition or if you do then don't look at the ground when you get out in the dark.
As is often the case your comments are verging on the offensive. :roll:
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:50 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 pm
Old and Grumpy wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:49 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:

FA. Do you know which lights I refer to? Have you actually seen them on a Karoq? Or rather on the ground below a Karoq's doors.
How can the word Skoda look 'cheap & tacky'? If you think that is the case I suggest you sell your Karoq and buy a Ford, or at least take ALL the Skoda badges off your Kodiaq? You can't see any light fitments as they are set into the underside of the doors and are completely invisible unless you want to lie on the ground and look up at the underside of the door. All you can see when the door is open is the projected image in white. They are standard fitment on the Edition Karoq. I think you must be getting confused with something else.
If you really do know the lights I'm talking about it's quite simple, don't buy a a Karoq Edition or if you do then don't look at the ground when you get out in the dark.
As is often the case your comments are verging on the offensive. :roll:
I am fully aware of the lights you are talking about and sorry if it offends but I do find the whole idea of projecting car branding onto the floor beneath the door to be pointless and ultimately cheap and tacky, a light is useful but does it really need to remind you what car you just got out of? Chavs were doing that years ago on their ‘blinged’ up Corsa’s, it didn’t look stylish then and nor does it now.

As far as buying a Karoq then that will never happen, we got the Kodiaq as we needed a 7 seater and it offered the best value for money. I also find the Karoq very bland in terms of styling and there are better 5 seat SUVs on the market which look better. It maybe the case that a Karoq vRS will look OK but the Karoq Edition really doesn’t look much more impressive than anything else below it in the range.

Personally I dislike many things on cars including these lights but also excessive chrome and overly badged cars. The really ugly Kodiaq is the Scout which has horrendous bumpers and a very offensive mock wood interior. That is my view but you may have a completely different one from me, doesn’t make you right or wrong as it’s a personal view.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:02 am

I certainly agree with your last para.
I'll just drop a note to BMW to tell them that their scripted puddle lights are tacky. :lol:
I replaced the Kodiaq as I did not need 7 seats but was so insistent on having one of the first on the road that I had no choice on the SEL. together with the fact that Skoda Uk gave me a £500 discount , matched by the dealer and the factory gave free Canton and spare wheel.
I am now on my second Karoq and find it far more to my liking. There may indeed be better looking 5 seat SUVs. but I am a Skoda fan having owned 7.
The reason I didn't even look any further:-----
Will not entertain derv.
VW too expensive for a Skoda equivalent.
Audi even MORE too expensive.
SEAT nothing to suit.
Mazda no turbo X3 too small. X5 too expensive.
Honda HRv too small CRv too slow and thirsty.
PSA Rubbish.
Vauxhall cr*p.
BMW too expensive/can't stand them.
Mercedes Too expensive. Been there, done that, never again!
Disco, RRover , Rubbish reliability FAR too expensive.
Kia I like some springs on my cars, Sportage that I tested appeared not to have
any suspension (unless the garage had left the transport blocks in place)
Volvo Far too expensive and at the time, before the '40', too big.
blah blah blah. :lol:
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
[color=#00

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:02 am
I certainly agree with your last para.
I'll just drop a note to BMW to tell them that their scripted puddle lights are tacky. :lol:
I replaced the Kodiaq as I did not need 7 seats but was so insistent on having one of the first on the road that I had no choice on the SEL. together with the fact that Skoda Uk gave me a £500 discount , matched by the dealer and the factory gave free Canton and spare wheel.
I am now on my second Karoq and find it far more to my liking. There may indeed be better looking 5 seat SUVs. but I am a Skoda fan having owned 7.
The reason I didn't even look any further:-----
Will not entertain derv.
VW too expensive for a Skoda equivalent.
Audi even MORE too expensive.
SEAT nothing to suit.
Mazda no turbo X3 too small. X5 too expensive.
Honda HRv too small CRv too slow and thirsty.
PSA Rubbish.
Vauxhall cr*p.
BMW too expensive/can't stand them.
Mercedes Too expensive. Been there, done that, never again!
Disco, RRover , Rubbish reliability FAR too expensive.
Kia I like some springs on my cars, Sportage that I tested appeared not to have
any suspension (unless the garage had left the transport blocks in place)
Volvo Far too expensive and at the time, before the '40', too big.
blah blah blah. :lol:
Please do let BMW know as well as Range Rover and all the others who in my opion devalue the car by having these lights, its a personal opion and nothing more. That said when Adrian Padeanu at Motors 1 reviewed the Karoq at launch he tended to agree with me but was slightly more generous by calling them a gimmick, he wrote:

"Most of them are focusing on the interior cabin, but there is one showing a rather peculiar feature. It’s more of a gimmick, to be honest. Open the door and the LED mounted underneath it will project “Skoda” onto the floor, so that you’ll remember you haven’t bought one of the compact crossover’s sister models, the SEAT Ateca or the VW Tiguan…

Doesn’t really fit with the whole Simply Clever tagline, does it?

The reasoning behind the decision to implement such a “feature” in an otherwise sensible car is hard to understand, especially coming from a brand known for releasing no-frills models providing exceptional value for money. People in the market for a Skoda are highly unlikely to be impressed by the door-mounted LED projector, which I believe doesn’t really fit with the brand’s image.

While it’s not that big of an issue that would make some reevaluate his options for a compact crossover, it’s still downright weird to see it on a Skoda. It’s not clear from the press release whether it will be standard or optional equipment. Hopefully, customers will be given the possibility to avoid it."

Whislt you are away writing to BMW I will be writing to Lamborghini with Silverbears idea, I cannot wait to see the Aventador Coupè with a towbar fitted as standard.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:23 pm

I cannot wait to see the Aventador Coupè with a towbar fitted as standardImage
Love it!. Perhaps some chrome bull bars at the front & BF Goodrich off road rubber?
[color=#00

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”