Electric hand bake high speed application and handbrake turn!!

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Daggerit

Re: Electric hand bake high speed application and handbrake turn!!

Post by Daggerit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:31 am

I think that if you just flick the switch it does nothing to be honest. I've tried this in a couple of my past cars just in case my little boy takes a liking to it at any point (although in reality he could barely reach it from his seat if he was in the front) and never had it activate.

In regards to the traffic issue and being rear-ended, I think that's a mute point and here's why. If you're using the EPB in an emergency to slow the car it means that your preferred manner has failed (as in, normal brakes) and that you've had time to think to grab it. So I think that you'd probably already have your foot on the brake, activating the brake lights, and that you probably have more to worry about than a car behind you potentially rear ending you. Lol.

Daddy2Bears

Post by Daddy2Bears » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:41 am

Wouldn't fancy your chances if it was a fully laden artic behind you.
190 TDI 7 Seat Edition
Petrol Blue, Black Leather, Front Isofix, Tow bar Prep, Canton, Spare Wheel, ACC, Park Assist, Heated W/S-Wipers, Alu Pedals, Area View, Ambient Lighting, Personal Drive Mode Select
Various VAG-COM tweaks

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:01 am

Daddy2Bears wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:41 am
Wouldn't fancy your chances if it was a fully laden artic behind you.
No different than if you just hit the brakes full force though is it? Actually, if it's just using the rear wheels, as I presume it is, then it will slow down less quickly than doing that so less chance of a rear end than an actual emergency stop.

old man

Post by old man » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm

So I think that you'd probably already have your foot on the brake, activating the brake lights, and that you probably have more to worry about than a car behind you potentially rear ending you. Lol.

Not if your front seat passenger activated it because you're having a heart attack, which is the question I posed in my original thread.

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm

old man wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:32 pm
So I think that you'd probably already have your foot on the brake, activating the brake lights, and that you probably have more to worry about than a car behind you potentially rear ending you. Lol.

Not if your front seat passenger activated it because you're having a heart attack, which is the question I posed in my original thread.
Fair enough, I must've missed that by skimming through responses. It looks like it also applies the brake lights when you use it judging by the Top Gear video when they try to do the handbrake turn which would hopefully minimise any issues.

iwarv

Post by iwarv » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Colin Lambert wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 am
As far as someone rear ending you, apart from the inconvenience, the car that rear ends you is automatically at fault in the U.K. So his insurance has to pay.
A citation will be required [from me] but I don't think the driver behind you will **always** be found at fault. You need to have cause to brake excessively.
Vermin on the road(*) is one of those clauses where the law rules in favour of the driver at the rear of the accident.
I am sure "testing the EPB" will be another.

(*) indeed, if I am found to be correct on this, then the law requires you to evaluate your bumper fodder in a split second. For instance, the red squirrel is faced with extinction in the UK and is not considered vermin.
Last edited by iwarv on Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SE-L 1.4 150bhp DSG 4x4, 7 Seats, Quartz Grey, Front Sensors, Front DashCam

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:55 pm

I can just imagine explaining to the insurance company that ones method of stopping was the handbrake rather than the foot brake and of course this is a handbrake that is binary, either off or on, you can't feather it like a traditional handbrake. I would imagine it very difficult to stop quickly just by locking the rear wheels, much less remain in a straight line.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Zach

Post by Zach » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 am

Silverbear wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:55 pm
I can just imagine explaining to the insurance company that ones method of stopping was the handbrake rather than the foot brake and of course this is a handbrake that is binary, either off or on, you can't feather it like a traditional handbrake. I would imagine it very difficult to stop quickly just by locking the rear wheels, much less remain in a straight line.
The emergency braking function does not apply the parking brake i.e. lock the rear calipers. It will use the ABS system on all four wheels to brake.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:37 am

Zach wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 am
Silverbear wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:55 pm
The emergency braking function does not apply the parking brake i.e. lock the rear calipers. It will use the ABS system on all four wheels to brake.
No that is clever, or should I say, "Simply Clever"? ;)
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Daggerit

Post by Daggerit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:38 am

iwarv wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:30 pm
Colin Lambert wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:23 am
As far as someone rear ending you, apart from the inconvenience, the car that rear ends you is automatically at fault in the U.K. So his insurance has to pay.
A citation will be required [from me] but I don't think the driver behind you will **always** be found at fault. You need to have cause to brake excessively.
Vermin on the road(*) is one of those clauses where the law rules in favour of the driver at the rear of the accident.
I really don't know the law well enough to make an informed comment, but my personal opinion is that if the car following has been behind the lead car for any period of time (as in, the lead car hasn't just pulled out in front of the following car without enough time for them to brake and avoid a collision) then the following vehicle is always at fault. I only say that because you should be leaving enough room for exactly this kind of reason, surely?

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”