Petition to remove £40k VED charge

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
CJJE

Petition to remove £40k VED charge

Post by CJJE » Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 pm

There is a petition to get the extra tax on cars over 40K removed, have a look at the attached petition and sing up,

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241300

As BJ is in the mood to throw money at rich Tory voters, he doesn't like 'sin' taxes, and a no-deal Brexit is likely to inflate prices of the top Kodiaqs over £40k, it's worth a vote! (But will he last long enough to get the budget through Partliament??
Previously owned an Octavia L&K, currently driving a Golf SV, but looking at changing it for a Race Blue Kodiaq L&K :)

Colin Lambert

Re: Petition to remove £40k VED charge

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Good luck with that! Get money out of DVLA? The 'green gang' will oppose that vigorously.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:54 pm

CJJE wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:36 pm
There is a petition to get the extra tax on cars over 40K removed, have a look at the attached petition and sing up,

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/241300

As BJ is in the mood to throw money at rich Tory voters, he doesn't like 'sin' taxes, and a no-deal Brexit is likely to inflate prices of the top Kodiaqs over £40k, it's worth a vote! (But will he last long enough to get the budget through Partliament??
I know people who buy cars which cost less than £1000 and struggle to put fuel in the tank. Many times I see people stop at filling stations and just put a fiver in the tank to get themselves someplace. Most people can only dream of spending £40k on a car so I think any such petition will have little traction. I won't be signing it.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 pm

I agree with the principle of the petition however nothing will change.

Unlike some I don’t begrudge people spending over £40k on a car, if you can afford it then drive what you want. What other people can or cannot afford to buy doesn’t affect my purchases, why should it.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey
Somewhere in Scotland.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:11 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 pm
I agree with the principle of the petition however nothing will change.

Unlike some I don’t begrudge people spending over £40k on a car, if you can afford it then drive what you want. What other people can or cannot afford to buy doesn’t affect my purchases, why should it.
Not sure anyone begrudges anything. I certainly don't. I could buy a vRS for cash but choose not to. Indeed I could buy several. If I decided to spend that much on a Kodiaq, and ignoring the fact that if spending that much I would buy a basic Landcruiser, I would not mind paying the extra tax. Higher income taxes for the better off are not a new thing. Neither is higher stamp duty on house purchases. Why should expensive cars escape?

There is an argument to be had about what constitutes an expensive car. If one took a poll of all motorists I think £40k would qualify and I would agree. Perhaps the tax should be tiered starting at £30k, then £40k and so forth. My car I think would be in play for extra tax and I'm fine with that.

A problem with car purchases today is that people are no longer buying cars for cash and instead buying them on PCP which is shielding their sensibilities from the huge cost of many cars. From what I read they look at the sticker price and recoil but then look at the monthly rental price and decide they can afford it. I don't do this, I write a cheque for the full amount and feel the full cost in a single blow so perhaps appreciate how expensive some cars really are. I was not prepared to write a cheque for £40k, just for a car, though I sorely wanted that Landcruiser.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:20 am

If you sorely wanted a Landcruiser and could afford one then you should have got one. Lifes to short to be worries about a few extra quid.
Somewhere in Scotland.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 am

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:20 am
If you sorely wanted a Landcruiser and could afford one then you should have got one. Lifes to short to be worries about a few extra quid.
That is the difference between having the money and seeing it as affordable. It is also a reflection of ones attitude to motoring. I don't value a car because it is fast. Getting around the Nurburgring quickly is not a selling point for me. The vRS has no attraction for me. The Landcruiser would in my view be super cool but not cool enough to justify parting with £40k when I don't need a true 4x4. If I did need a true off roader I'd be on the Toyota forum. The AWD with Winter tyres, the ground clearance and the boot capacity of my Kodiaq will get me skiing each year though the boot capacity is right on the limit, even with a roofbox.

Let us not forget I'm relaxed about the extra tax. Life is too short to worry about the extra few quid.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:03 am

Affordability: adjective. that can be afforded; believed to be within one's financial means.

It sounds like your Landcruiser is affordable to you, it's just you dont want to part with you're money. Nothing wrong with that but I would rather enjoy life and spend money on things I like and enjoy. Also sounds like you could have paid allot less for a nearly new Landcruiser than buying a new Kodiaq and you would have got what you wanted.

I have a Kodiaq as it offers 7 seats at an affordable price. If I wanted a car to go fast then I would not have a Kodiaq (even vRS) as they are not fast cars. Not designed to be and there are better options if its outright power and speed you are looking for. Anyway I have a motorbike for speed which is damn sight more fun than cars.

I have on order a Sportline as I preferred the styling to the other models (except vRS) but I didnt think the vRS was the same value for money as the Sportline. It also keeps me under the £40 VED.

I looked at other models but I think the Scout is butt ugly with the silver/grey body kit and the interior wood effect is truelly horrendous. The L&K was an option but it looks like its leaning towards the older person and I couldn't live with that horrible 1970s script logo on the sides of the car and on the dash. Only option to me was the Edition with the anthracite triglavs. The SE was never a contender as it's too basic and has inferior Infotainment, light systems and technology for me.

I dont buy cars outright either, nor do I purchase by PCP, mine is PHC. I use this as I know the monthly costs which are comparable and sometimes better than PCP but it also means I get a new car every 2 years.

Additionally I dont need to be concerned about future car pricing and depreciation as it's not my car, nor do I need to consider which fuels are going to be hit hard during the lifecycle of the car (I dont car if diesel cars are taxed hard in 2 years and my annual road fund is paid by Skoda finance so the government can do what they will with that). I predict that in the next 10 years hiring will become the norm for new cars and PCPs will dwindle.
Somewhere in Scotland.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:05 am

The Landcruiser is affordable if I have the need. My Kodiaq is affordable but if I did not have a family and did not ski it would be unaffordable.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 am

Affordability: adjective. that can be afforded; believed to be within one's financial means.

It sounds like your Landcruiser is affordable to you, it's just you dont want to part with you're money. Nothing wrong with that but I would rather enjoy life and spend money on things I like and enjoy. Also sounds like you could have paid allot less for a nearly new Landcruiser than buying a new Kodiaq and you would have got what you wanted.

I have a Kodiaq as it offers 7 seats at an affordable price. If I wanted a car to go fast then I would not have a Kodiaq (even vRS) as they are not fast cars. Not designed to be and there are better options if its outright power and speed you are looking for. Anyway I have a motorbike for speed which is damn sight more fun than cars.

I have on order a Sportline as I preferred the styling to the other models (except vRS) but I didnt think the vRS was the same value for money as the Sportline. It also keeps me under the £40 VED.

I looked at other models but I think the Scout is butt ugly with the silver/grey body kit and the interior wood effect is truelly horrendous. The L&K was an option but it looks like its leaning towards the older person and I couldn't live with that horrible 1970s script logo on the sides of the car and on the dash. Only option to me was the Edition with the anthracite triglavs. The SE was never a contender as it's too basic and has inferior Infotainment, light systems and technology for me.

I dont buy cars outright either, nor do I purchase by PCP, mine is PHC. I use this as I know the monthly costs which are comparable and sometimes better than PCP but it also means I get a new car every 2 years.

Additionally I dont need to be concerned about future car pricing and depreciation as it's not my car, nor do I need to consider which fuels are going to be hit hard during the lifecycle of the car (I dont car if diesel cars are taxed hard in 2 years and my annual road fund is paid by Skoda finance so the government can do what they will with that). I predict that in the next 10 years hiring will become the norm for new cars and PCPs will dwindle.
Somewhere in Scotland.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”