All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
KodiaqBuyer

Re: SIM card purpose

Post by KodiaqBuyer » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks for the reply! Very useful info.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 pm

My biggest problem with SIM cards integrated into the vehicle is that one can be tracked.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

silver1011

Post by silver1011 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 pm

By whom?

tin-foil-hat_800x.jpg

Be aware that your Kodiaq has a hidden SIM card in it, separate from the optional one in the glove compartment. The hidden SIM is used for the SOS function and Skoda Connect features.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:53 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 pm
My biggest problem with SIM cards integrated into the vehicle is that one can be tracked.
You might want to remove your registration plate too. Number plates are routinely scanned and tracked by automated systems in the UK.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:03 pm

I think this is the answer to the problem! Defeats SPECS, Truvelo, ANPR etc,etc lol: :lol:
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:08 pm

It's not wheelie invisible!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (123HP more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:12 pm

silver1011 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:50 pm
By whom?

tin-foil-hat_800x.jpg

Be aware that your Kodiaq has a hidden SIM card in it, separate from the optional one in the glove compartment. The hidden SIM is used for the SOS function and Skoda Connect features.
I know, a sign of the times. One wonders how I managed to phone breakdown services in the past. I remember red phone boxes with actual phones in them.

Young people today must wonder how us older folk ever managed. Well we did and we didn't feel like we were merely managing.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

MrTrilby

Post by MrTrilby » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:41 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:12 pm
Young people today must wonder how us older folk ever managed. Well we did and we didn't feel like we were merely managing.
Yup, I remember managing just fine when the head gasket blew on my car and I had to trudge through the rain to find a phone box and then try to explain where I was, before hanging about for a few hours hoping they’d find me and not just given up and gone to the pub.

There’s no way that I’d much rather just sit in the warm and dry car and push one button that let them know exactly where I am and what the problem might be.
190 4x4 SEL DSG with pano roof, ACC, reversing camera, towbar, heated multifunction steering wheel, heated front & rear seats, rear tables, luggage net, electric driver seat, ambient lighting, media command

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:52 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:41 pm
Silverbear wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:12 pm
Yup, I remember managing just fine when the head gasket blew on my car and I had to trudge through the rain to find a phone box and then try to explain where I was, before hanging about for a few hours hoping they’d find me and not just given up and gone to the pub.

There’s no way that I’d much rather just sit in the warm and dry car and push one button that let them know exactly where I am and what the problem might be.
You...you didn't know where you were? I used to have a large paperback book with squiggly lines on each page. Still have though I must confess as I write this I'm not certain of its exact location...Note to self: Find navigation charts.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:00 pm

MrTrilby wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:10 am
KodiaqBuyer wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:26 am
So I can browse the internet whilst driving? Clearly that's not something I want to do.

Does it create a wireless hotspot in the car though? So my kids can use their tablets on longer drives?
Yes, it allows the 6 other people in the car who are not concentrating on driving to “surf the net”. It also allows the built in satnav to access more detailed traffic information which might assist the driver by allowing the driver to focus on driving rather than worrying about which route to take.
People should be exercising their eye muscles looking out the window rather than forever surfing the internet. The very last thing allowed in my car is computer use of any kind. Dunno about traffic information, I know all the routes to school and work better than any SatNav. I suppose it might be useful if you do much business travel but I don't do any.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”