1.5 TSI Update Please

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
sourdohman

1.5 TSI Update Please

Post by sourdohman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:08 pm

As a prospective buyer of a Kodiak 1.5 TSI I would value any feedback on this engine now that it's been around for a good few months.

There are suggestions in the motoring press that the 1.5 TSI is underpowered but it would be good to hear about owners' real life experiences.

Also, has the 'kangaroo' problem been fixed satisfactorily by VAG yet?

Putting aside personal preferences, does the DSG perform better than the manual in practice?

Many thanks in advance.
JAGUAR X-TYPE 2004 Diesel 2.0L Manual SE DCI Estate. 145K No DPF :)
Four Marks, Hampshire

Zach

Re: 1.5 TSI Update Please

Post by Zach » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:41 pm

Welcome to the forum.

Power is subjective. Many people here suggest that the small displacement petrols are good, but in my experience, they weren't fast at all. They're on the lower end of adequate.

The 'kangaroo' problem hasn't been fixed yet, and there are many varying experiences of how Skoda has been handling the issue.

I prefer DSG, it's more efficient at putting the power down, and I would never consider a manual any more.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

old man

Post by old man » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:58 am

This is the first car I've owned in over 50 years with an auto box and I'm liking it a lot. I think it's far better suited to todays traffic jammed stop start driving.
I couldn't easily be persuaded to return to a manual now unless a car I desperately wanted wasn't available with an auto box.

Can't help with the 1.5 engine I'm afraid, I have the 2.0 Tsi

PapaBear

Post by PapaBear » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:57 am

I haven’t driven the 1.5 but my previous car was a small Mazda 3 with 165hp. I can’t imagine how slow the 1200lbs heavier and less aerodynamic Kodiaq would be with just 150hp. Must be a pain to overtake with.
(Ordered 06/02/19 Built 08/07/19) Black 5-s 2.0 TSI DSG 4x4 Sportline 20"
Pano roof, Virtual cockpit, Canton, Remote heater, DCC, Driver assistance package, Electric tow, RRP, Heated steeringwheel, 360-cam, 3-zone CC, Highbeam assist, etc.

sourdohman

Post by sourdohman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:24 am

PapaBear wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:57 am
I haven’t driven the 1.5 but my previous car was a small Mazda 3 with 165hp. I can’t imagine how slow the 1200lbs heavier and less aerodynamic Kodiaq would be with just 150hp. Must be a pain to overtake with.
I take your point but the Kodiaq is 46 kg lighter and has 22 bhp more than my X-Type estate and that's no slouch but it is a diesel.
JAGUAR X-TYPE 2004 Diesel 2.0L Manual SE DCI Estate. 145K No DPF :)
Four Marks, Hampshire

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:58 am

Time to cut the bullsh1t!
1.5 U.K. (can't speak for antipodean version) is hugely
torquey, overtakes are easy and rapid. 0-62 as quick as Kia e niro. (Yes I HAVE driven one)
Consumption afte 2k miles 34 round town 44 ish on a run
DSG ..wouldn't drive anything else and haven't done so for 9 years.
I am on my second 1.5 DSG Karoq and had 1.4 150 hp Kodiaq before and that was quick enough. If you want faster....buy a sports car.
Neither of my Karoqs have suffered from kangaroo syndrome (slight hesitation sometimes, on 68 reg... none on 19 reg, but not a problem.) Kangaroo appears to affect manual far more than DSG.
GO FOR IT! It's brilliant.
ModeratorEdition .1.5DSG. Petrol Blue. S/s spare, Cream leather KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

PapaBear

Post by PapaBear » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:03 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:58 am
torquey, overtakes are easy and rapid. 0-62 as quick as Kia e niro. (Yes I HAVE driven one)
I am on my second 1.5 DSG Karoq and had 1.4 150 hp Kodiaq before and that was quick enough. If you want faster....buy a sports car.
Neither of my Karoqs have suffered from kangaroo syndrome (slight hesitation sometimes, on 68 reg... none on 19 reg, but not a problem.) Kangaroo appears to affect manual far more than DSG.
It’s not about sports car performance (nice exaggeration btw), it’s about safety. I wouldn’t call 240Nm hugely torqey either.
Quick overtakes and being able to quickly get out of the way if needed is a good thing. It’s down to cost basically. Do you want to pay for it or not? For some the answer is yes, for others it’s not.
(Ordered 06/02/19 Built 08/07/19) Black 5-s 2.0 TSI DSG 4x4 Sportline 20"
Pano roof, Virtual cockpit, Canton, Remote heater, DCC, Driver assistance package, Electric tow, RRP, Heated steeringwheel, 360-cam, 3-zone CC, Highbeam assist, etc.

Zach

Post by Zach » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:07 am

Colin Lambert wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:58 am
What BS? "Hugely" torquey...yeah nah. Adequate but far from great. If VAG found no need for such 'wildly' powerful engines, then why do they even bother have 2.0 TSI and TDI engines with an excess of 300Nm? Hell, my 2.0 TDI 190PS is too slow for me so I've ordered an RS.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:28 pm

PapaBear wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:57 am
Never found a problem with my 1.4TSI Yogi with 123hp, but I am a fairly sedate driver and my "Boy Racing" days are well behind me.
My priorities are now comfort and safety, and if I am a little later getting somewhere than anticipated so what? :D
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:30 pm

It is a brilliant engine and it is awful. It depends what you want. I have one and it is by far the fastest car I have owned on paper. In practice I've never had it over 3000 rpm because I never need to accelerate hard, what is the point? People tell me they need a big engine to 'accelerate out of trouble'. Goodness knows where they drive but in 35 years I have yet to need to do that but I have on occasion accelerated into trouble that a bit less acceleration on my part would have avoided.

It depends on your driving style. The 1.5 provides me with more power than I will ever need but others will find it lacking.

Regarding gearbox choice I have experience of the manual and it is not in my experience a particularly good gearbox, quite notchy I would say but it could have been a problem with mine although I have read reviews which agree. The DSG is very good but not always as smooth as a manual can be and it can dither if it misguesses which gear is next, something which often happens in heavy unpredictable city traffic.

As you will appreciate I value smooth and gentle. If you place a cup of water on the dash the aim is not to spill any!
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”