Skoda roof bars or Thule

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
Pete_g

Skoda roof bars or Thule

Post by Pete_g » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:17 am

I’ve tried looking through the threads but can’t find the answers I’m looking for.

Do any users have the SKODA Kodiaq manufacturer roof bars? If so , do they like them, or do they have faults?

Most people on here seem to favour the Thule options but with so many different variants, bars and feet, which ones do they find are the best ?

Thanks in advance.
Kodiaq Scout 190 TDI DSG 4x4, Quartz Grey. Pano Sunroof, Driver Assist Pack, Area View, Htd steering wheel/ windscreen/ washers, Park assist, Traffic sign recog , Canton , Htd Fr/ Rr seats. Collected 1st December.

old man

Re: Skoda roof bars or Thule

Post by old man » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:44 am

I cannot speak for the Skoda bars, although I have seen some fitted to a Karoq in a dealer showroom and they looked decent, plus they had the same type of feet for the roof rails that my Thule ones have, which is a good thing.

However, whilst Thule parts are not cheap, neither are dealer supplied ones, so I'd say that if there's little price difference between the two makes, get the tried and tested Thule ones. They've been around a long time so know their stuff. I've been using Thule bars and feet for the last 6 years to carry 16' Canadian canoes on the roof and have experienced no problems.

Another consideration is, what are you going to carry ? If it's something large like my canoes, or a roof box then get the best kit there is. If it's something lighter e.g ladders etc, then you'll get away with less robust kit.

Zach

Post by Zach » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:51 am

Thule all the way. You'll want the Wingbar Evo. Don't worry about the initial cost, as Thule roof racks hold their value very well, and you can most likely use it on your next car.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:06 am

I've used a Thule box, bars and feet for years indeed my Kodiaq is the third car to use my Thule box which is still in perfect working order and must be 15 years old. I have just changed the feet, the old feet have a different interior clamp shape, because the Kodiaq roof rail cross section is different to my previous car and I don't want it all flying off somewhere in France (I've seen this happen). The new feet are Thule 7104. I use the Thule black square bars, not the wing bars, because I remember reading years ago that they were stronger. Irritatingly I had to replace the bars too because the fitting on the new feet is different and the slot in the old bars at each end was about an inch too short. 127cm bars. The old bars, also Thule 127cm square bars, and the old feet for that matter, are as old as the roof box and are still serviceable and the bars are not bent despite heavy use.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Pete_g

Post by Pete_g » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:42 pm

Thanks all. Sounds like Thule is the way to go. I’ve used a Thule roofbox for over 10 years and still going strong but have always had manufacturer branded roof bars in the past.
Bit confused on the choice for Thule however as I’ve looked at a few sites and they all seem to have different codes and combinations.

For the kodiaq is is the 7104 foot pack and 127 cm wingbar evo that is the best choice or should I be going for square bars.

I’d like to be able to tilt/ open sunroof when fitted if possible.

Pete
Kodiaq Scout 190 TDI DSG 4x4, Quartz Grey. Pano Sunroof, Driver Assist Pack, Area View, Htd steering wheel/ windscreen/ washers, Park assist, Traffic sign recog , Canton , Htd Fr/ Rr seats. Collected 1st December.

old man

Post by old man » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:54 pm

The bars will be your choice, but I recommend the 775 Thule footpack for the Kodiaq roof rails. These have a metal strap that passes under the rails, so the foot is clamped right around the rail as opposed to just clamping either side.

Can't help with the sunroof question I'm afraid, I wasn't rich enough to afford one of those ;)

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Pete_g wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:42 pm
Thanks all. Sounds like Thule is the way to go. I’ve used a Thule roofbox for over 10 years and still going strong but have always had manufacturer branded roof bars in the past.
Bit confused on the choice for Thule however as I’ve looked at a few sites and they all seem to have different codes and combinations.

For the kodiaq is is the 7104 foot pack and 127 cm wingbar evo that is the best choice or should I be going for square bars.

I’d like to be able to tilt/ open sunroof when fitted if possible.

Pete
Can't help you with the sun roof. I think the square bars are stronger. Perhaps it comes down to the colour of your rails. My rails are black and the 7104 foot pack is black so black square bars match nicely. If you have silver rails, a black foot pack, then silver bars it might look a bit of a patchwork. Are the wing bars quieter? Can one tell when a roofbox or bike is up there too? It probably doesn't matter so long as you make sure it is secure. The 7104 foot pack includes a 4 Newton Metre torque wrench so it is easy to tighten but not over tighten.
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Pete_g

Post by Pete_g » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Thanks again. So I have square and evo bars and options of the 7104 or 775 foot pack.

I have silver rails so it will be the patchwork quilt of silver bars, black feet and silver bars. Looking at the SKODA version that is the same for them anyway.

The 775 look lower slung than the 7104 so might opt for the latter in the hope it gives more clearance for the sunroof ( which was on the stock car I ordered due to not wanting to wait 6 months for a made to order version :-)

Zach

Post by Zach » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:14 am

You won’t have any clearance issues with either so it's up to you. I personally have the 775’s and don’t have any clearance issues.

The whole square bar vs aero/wing bar debate is all rubbish. Durability isn't an issue for either, and the square bars create more drag and noise. By the time durability is a concern, you'll have exceeded the max roof load by leaps and boumds.
BW32 2017 Kodiaq 190TDI Style 5 Seater in Quartz Grey + Sirius rims, 5yr Warranty, Sunroof, Sleep Pack, Rear Heated Seats, Driver Profiles
BW35 2019 Kodiaq RS 5 seater in Brilliant Silver + Ignite rims, Sunroof, Direct TPMS, Acoustic Windows

wheelwright

Post by wheelwright » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:41 am

If I were in the market for roof bars these would be my my choice, But in black.
Ordered 20.7.18 delivery 1.3.19
Black magic 2.0tsi SEL 7 Seats 190 4x4 dsg
Beige heated leather front & rear
Heated steering wheel, Folding tables
Remote folding rear seats,
19" Black Gloss Triglav alloys

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”