7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
B250

7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by B250 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:10 am

Hi all,

we are going to buy Skoda Kodiaq 7 seater (jump from Citroen C4 Grand picasso) with PCP. Negotiating prices on carwow now.
We received the following offer:
Edition 2.0TDI 150PS Diesel Automatic for £X (monthly payments)
Edition petrol 1.5TSI Manual for £X
SE 2.0TDI 150ps Diesel Automatic £X - £50

I know that Edition has better equipment but what about those engines in terms of fuel usage/cost ? Is the 2.0TDI Diesel more hungry than 1.5TSI ?
I am total noob and not sure how to compare those engines ...
Also heard long time ago that if Automatic fails it costs you more to repair it (this is new car so it shouldn't happen ate least for first few years but anyway ...).

Thank you for your recommendations

FoxtrotAlpha

Re: 7 seaters SE vs Edition (petrol/diesel) - which model ?

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sat May 11, 2019 12:01 pm

I have the 2 Litre TDI Edition with the 150bhp engine and it’s been pretty good. In terms of performance it’s not setting the world on fire but is adequate for the size of vehicle and the roads I mainly drive on (motorways and country twisty). I am achieving on average between 48 and 52 mpg, the maximum so far was 63mpg.

I have not driven the 1.5 litre petrol but I did it’s predecessor the 1.4 and found it lacking compared to the diesel version. I know many will disagree but that’s my opinion. My Edition replacement will have the diesel 150bhp in it as the larger 190bhp isn’t worth it for my location etc.

If the SE is only £50 a month less then it’s only a question of cost vs spec, for that small amount I would go for the Edition every time. For me it wouldn’t be even a consideration but it depends on your budget and willingness to pay it.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey
Somewhere in Scotland.

SkodaVRS1963

Post by SkodaVRS1963 » Sat May 11, 2019 2:03 pm

DriveTheDeal will undercut CarWow by a considerable amount (in my experience).
Kodiaq VRS 2019 build, velvet red paint, heated windscreen, heated steering wheel

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 pm

If you go for the Edition, get the black Triglav which are a cheap optional extra (£190 from memory) The Kodiaq looks so much better with darker wheels in my book.
Somewhere in Scotland.

Silverbear

Post by Silverbear » Mon May 13, 2019 11:38 am

We have an SE 1.5 4x4 DSG, cash buyer, so not strictly comparable with PCP. We get about 37 mpg as measured by dividing the fuel we add by the distance we have covered rather than the on-board computer: Mixed town centre and empty small country roads driving. We drive in ECO mode everywhere though no idea what difference it makes. We hope to have the car for 10 years so wanted the fuel we felt posed the least risk to being banned from our own town centre over this long and, these days, unpredictable period. If you plan to replace in a couple of years then much less of an issue I would think. We are conscious of the fuel consumption from an environmental perspective, our last car was a diesel, but times we feel have changed.

We went for the trim we felt would provide the most comfortable ride (18 inch wheels rather than 19 inch) and we did not want keyless entry, don't need sat nav, and rarely listen to the radio so the infotainment system is irrelevant to us. It helps that we think the 18 inch Elbrus wheels are the nicest looking wheels although the Triglav wheels are a good second for looks if we had to have 19 inch wheels.

It's our first automatic, it's a very clever gearbox, but I still prefer manual boxes as you still have more control: I hope it proves as reliable as a manual.

In your position, assuming you will replace in two or three years on PCP, I would go for a diesel with a manual gearbox. Whether you go for SE or Edition or anything else depends on how many of the extra features you will use. If you need to tow or mount bikes at the back I'd get the factory fitted tow bar: it's retractable and really rather clever. I've read somewhere that some cars need a modified cooling system to tow and I think there is a configuration which can't tow at all so getting a tow bar factory fitted might be easiest if you think you need it. Bear in mind the SE comes with only one rather dim reversing light which you can 'fix' by getting a reversing camera because it provides the extra reversing light and works very well although 35 years of motoring without one is a difficult habit to break but I'm grateful for the increased illumination at night.

Regarding seats, our previous car was a 7 seater and not once did we use the third row in 10 years but we did miss having a spare wheel. With the 5 seater you can have the larger of the two "temporary spare wheels" (215/65R17) and I suspect there is space in the wheel well in the boot for an 18 or 19 inch road wheel (which I think are both 235mm wide), good to know if you have a flat tyre and your boot is already full as ours very often is although fortunately we have not yet had to but this to the test! I really ought to verify this for my own peace of mind but who has the time to jack the car up?

Whichever one you get they are lovely cars but I wish they were a bit longer. It's a big boot but I could still make use of an even bigger boot!
SE (5 seats) 1.5 4x4 DSG, factory tow bar, drive mode selection, reversing camera, rough road package, folding door mirrors, 215/65R17 spare wheel.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Mon May 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:38 am

Whichever one you get they are lovely cars but I wish they were a bit longer. It's a big boot but I could still make use of an even bigger boot!
Crikey!!! What on earth are you hoping to carry? Perhaps buy a van!
2018 Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol Blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys, (92Kw more than enough for my needs), Leicestershire. :D

H2UBS

Post by H2UBS » Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 pm

FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 pm
If you go for the Edition, get the black Triglav which are a cheap optional extra (£190 from memory) The Kodiaq looks so much better with darker wheels in my book.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .. not for me and certainly not for £190 .. just a Marmite thing !

For me it's the lights not the wheels .. LED v Halogen headlights .. no contest !
2.0 tdi SE L 4x4 190 DSG, 5 Seats, Business Grey, dark Alcantara, Triglavs, tow bar. Delivered 15th Sept.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 pm

H2UBS wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 6:01 pm
FoxtrotAlpha wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:15 pm
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder .. not for me and certainly not for £190 .. just a Marmite thing !

For me it's the lights not the wheels .. LED v Halogen headlights .. no contest !
I agree with the LED headlights. £190 is nothing so if I were to get another Edition (which I’m not as I have a Sportline on Oder) the it would be an easy decision.
Somewhere in Scotland.

FoxtrotAlpha

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Tue May 14, 2019 6:36 pm

According to another threads the 1.5 TSI engine is not worth considering due technical problems. I would rule it out purely on that.
Somewhere in Scotland.

Plodd

Post by Plodd » Tue May 14, 2019 6:39 pm

Silverbear wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:38 am
We drive in ECO mode everywhere though no idea what difference it makes.

I would be interested to know how you drive in eco mode as the SE doesn't have drive modes just a sport mode for the dsg gearbox. My SE also didn't have the 'coasting' function.

I would also agree the headlights make a huge difference to the look of the car. I have replaced an SE with an SE L and the LED lights make a HUGE difference. The whole car feels more 'special' and I loved my SE. It seems quieter too and as they are both diesels SE a 150 and SE L a 190 I can only assume the SE L has more soundproofing. I could be wrong though.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4X4 DSG SE L in Business Grey. Replacing an SE 150 DSG diesel in moon white.

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”