Kids threw rocks at my Kodiaq and dented bonnet

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
FoxtrotAlpha

Re: Kids threw rocks at my Kodiaq and dented bonnet

Post by FoxtrotAlpha » Mon May 06, 2019 5:36 pm

DaveM wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:56 pm
All this talk of “no fault” claims is nonsense. The question is whether you did or didn't make a claim. If you did, that can affect both your no claims bonus (because you no longer have “no” claims!j and the premium, because you now have a proven track record of having things happen that result in a claim.
That’s essentially what I said and for the sake of about £120 it’s not worth the effort.
It's a 'Kodiaq' and not a 'Bear' unless you are 5 years old.
Kodiaq Sportline - 150 TDI - DSG 4 x 4 - Quartz Grey

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Mon May 06, 2019 5:41 pm

This is why when some bell***d smashed off my wing mirror, and another t**t keyed my car I just sucked it up and paid for the repairs! With this experience and the comments here I have decided insurance claim is not the way to go. I will try to get the school to help out, otherwise it looks like hands in pockets again. Poor old Kodiaq has a dented nose!
Ordered in September 2018; collected 18th December. 1.5TSi ACT DSG Edition in Black Magic (the one true colour!) with Virtual Pedal. What a beast!! Why did I waste 20 years of hard earned cash on Audis?

ChrisL

Post by ChrisL » Mon May 06, 2019 6:48 pm

Just out of interest, if you were using your personal car on work business, should your employer not be responsible really?
Petrol Blue 2.0TDi 190ps DSG 7 seat Edition with black leather, front/rear parking sensors, heated front windscreen/washer jets, ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, driver personalisation and rear view camera.

davidb

Post by davidb » Mon May 06, 2019 6:49 pm

DrMatt wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:52 am
So I visited a school last week to observe a trainee teacher and parked my car in the school carpark.
Matt,
Are you a member of the teachers union, as they used to have a fund to help members whose cars got damaged like this. Been retired a few years now, so do not know if its still active. When I claimed many years ago it covered the expected increase in your annual insurance.

Maybe worth a try
SE L 1.4TSI (150) 4*4 Manual
memory drivers seat, space saver wheel, rough rd pack, rear view camera, dynamic chassis control

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm

ChrisL wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:48 pm
Just out of interest, if you were using your personal car on work business, should your employer not be responsible really?
A good point and I don’t know the answer. It is worth finding out about though. Thanks.
Ordered in September 2018; collected 18th December. 1.5TSi ACT DSG Edition in Black Magic (the one true colour!) with Virtual Pedal. What a beast!! Why did I waste 20 years of hard earned cash on Audis?

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 pm

davidb wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:49 pm
DrMatt wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 11:52 am
So I visited a school last week to observe a trainee teacher and parked my car in the school carpark.
Matt,
Are you a member of the teachers union, as they used to have a fund to help members whose cars got damaged like this. Been retired a few years now, so do not know if its still active. When I claimed many years ago it covered the expected increase in your annual insurance.

Maybe worth a try
Hi there. Thanks for that. I am a member of a university union so not sure this would be the same. However, you have got me thinking that they should be able to provide legal advice which could be useful if I don’t get the answer I am hoping for from the school.

H2UBS

Post by H2UBS » Tue May 07, 2019 5:29 am

You keep saying 'the' school .. DrMatt. Which school are to talking about ? Where you parked or the one next door where presumably the culprits are poorly educated.

Just a suggestion .. if you report to the police ( although they probably won't do a lot ) you will get a crime number. If you then go the offenders school head and tell them you have reported the crime to the police and give them the crime number, then they might be encouraged to try and identify the culprits via witnesses / CCTV.. Headmasters will not like undetected crimes recorded on their premises .. bad for stats & Ofsted !
2.0 tdi SE L 4x4 190 DSG, 5 Seats, Business Grey, dark Alcantara, Triglavs, tow bar. Delivered 15th Sept.

Pink72

Post by Pink72 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:38 pm

On balance, as annoying as this is if you go through insurance you will very likely be loaded with increased premiums. Likely the cost of premium increase for 5 years will exceed the cost of the repair many fold. I have had a similar situation to this, I would suggest finding a good reputable body shop repair the damage without engaging your insurance company. Do your research on body shops too. They are unregulated and there are plenty of cowboys out there.
Kodiaq 2.0tdi 190 4x4 DSG quartz metallic - canton, heated steering wheel, screen & rear seats, ambient light, media cmd, personalisation drive mode, front parking sensors, tri zone climate control, vico opia2 cash cam, Thule wingbars.

ChrisL

Post by ChrisL » Thu May 09, 2019 7:25 pm

I know its quite a different thing but opposite our house is the cricket club. Twice cricket balls have hit my cars and made dents in them. Both times on complaining to the club they paid to have the damage fixed at my choice of garage without quibble and hence avoided the need to claim on the insurance.
Petrol Blue 2.0TDi 190ps DSG 7 seat Edition with black leather, front/rear parking sensors, heated front windscreen/washer jets, ventilated seats, adaptive cruise control, traffic sign recognition, driver personalisation and rear view camera.

DrMatt

Post by DrMatt » Fri May 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for not responding sooner, I have been at a conference in Birmingham. By way of update I phoned the Head of the school and kicked off that noone was taking it seriously and I had not even received an apology or even a sympathetic comment. I also gave him the crime number from the police. He then apologised and said he would try to get it sorted. I told him that I expect the school to ensure that the car is repaired and that I had been getting quotes and that the police suggested an amicable settlement with the school but if not they would be happy to investigate it as criminal damage and support me in resolving it. He said he would speak to a colleague and get back to me. That was Wednesday so I will give him until Monday afternoon. The police gave really good advice and sent me a victim letter which I was quite impressed with.

Quotes are coming in at just over £400 for repair and respray from respectable bodyshops near me. One guy I went to in a fairly new outfit reckoned he only needed to respray the damaged quarter and blend it in but still wanted £400!! He was on about spraying the adjacent wing too in order to blend it in at the cost of £100

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”