RECOMMENDED EFFORT FREE POLISH

All Skoda Kodiaq related discussions
old man

Re: RECOMMENDED EFFORT FREE POLISH

Post by old man » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:05 am

Waterless car washing? Call me old fashioned, but that's akin to farting in a lift - it's just wrong on so many levels!!
As I get older I'm all for things that will make a job easier, but: when I decide to wash my car, I drag the hosepipe from the back to the front of the house. I get out the power washer and connect it up, then I fill a bucket with soapy water.
I then have two cars to wash, both of which are white, so by the time I've finished and put all of the gear away, I feel like a cripple with snow blindness ;)
However, I wouldn't swap my method for the water free products, my brain tells me that it's just wrong.
Something I would never use years ago was a pressure washer as I felt that cars then weren't built to withstand them. In recent years though I've taken to using one as it's a quicker method of soaking the car and getting most of the thicker, grittier dirt off before wading in with the sponge and soapy water. It also uses less water that soaking with a hose pipe.
On a slightly different tack, has anyone used the do it yourself car cleaning pressure washing machines in France? Excellent bits of kit and capable of getting all the muck off your car, unlike similar ones I have tried in this country which don't seem to measure up.
Some of our Eastern European car washing cousins make a decent fist of car cleaning if they can be persuaded to use clean water for each wash, but overall I don't think there's a better method of car cleaning than a do it yourself on your driveway with a hose pipe, bucket and sponge, where you can get all the dirt out of the nooks and crannies that other methods miss.

My apologies for straying off piste somewhat, but I have the time cos I'm currently relaxing on a sun kissed balcony overlooking the sea in a foreign land. No car cleaning her :D :D

gojoholo

Post by gojoholo » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 am

old man wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:05 am
overall I don't think there's a better method of car cleaning than a do it yourself on your driveway with a hose pipe, bucket and sponge
If you want to protect the paintwork more you could try 2 buckets (one for rinsing and one for soaping) and a lambswool mitt instead of a sponge. Google "2 bucket car wash method".
2.0 TSI Edition, 7 seat, Black with Beige Leather
ACC, Pan. roof, LED Light pack ,Canton, Heated rear seats, Heated w/s + washer jets , spare wheel, Front and rear parking sensors, heated steering wheel, Rear view camera

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:23 pm

You have to be so careful using sponge or lambswool not to transfer any dirt BACK onto the car.
I have used IMO car wash for years. they now have 'flippy-flappy' 'towelling' strips that slap the car and another set to dry it after being blow dried. They are 'drag through' chain car wash. so you just sit in the car.
The water is filtered and so copious that there is no way you will get any dirt transferred back onto the car.
I have had 6 cars using the Imo washes and have never had any scratching.
I am too old :lol: and well off enough to not bother washing cars myself, so for me IMO is the Mutts Nuts!
Their prices go from £3.99 up to about £10 depending on e=what you want and include under chassis wash, very useful after the roads have been heavily salted in the winter.

https://www.imocarwash.com/
ModeratorSE L.1.5DSG. Emerald green. S/s spare, Paddles, f&r sensors, rear camera. KAROQ. :shock: EX Kodiaq SE L1.4 DSG.
Diploma in Automotive Engineering.
Retirement is wonderful, it's doing nothing without being caught out! :lol:
[color=#00

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:29 pm

To go back to my original question, has anyone actually used one of those "waterless wax" products, and if so, with what results?
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, Manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb. :)

PhilBate

Post by PhilBate » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 pm

I use 'Wax it Wet', wash car, spray lightly when still wet and a quick (artificial) leather off! Simple and effective so encourages regular cleaning. My 'old' cars usually sell within a few hours for a good price as people say they're immaculate so it must be working.
High Wycombe
(On order from 27 March 2018 delivered 1st March 2019) 2.0 TSI DSG 4x4 7 Seat Edition, Petrol Blue, Front/Rear sensors, Spare wheel, Heated Screen + Jets, Rear Camera, CANTON sound, Media Command and Aluminium pedals.

Old and Grumpy

Post by Old and Grumpy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:35 pm

PhilBate wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 pm
I use 'Wax it Wet', wash car, spray lightly when still wet and a quick (artificial) leather off! Simple and effective so encourages regular cleaning. My 'old' cars usually sell within a few hours for a good price as people say they're immaculate so it must be working.
I do much the same, but that is not "waterless" such as "Greased Lightening" products. Has anyone used them, and with what results? I don't see how wiping a spray wax over a dirty car cannot leave scratches.
Kodiaq SE 1.4 TSI, 2WD, Manual gearbox, 5 seater, Petrol blue, absolutely standard, no extra toys.
My best car in 55 years of driving, including my previous Superb. :)

LordJellybelly

Post by LordJellybelly » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:44 pm

Following on does anybody use a cordless polisher? Such a tool would take much of the effort out of the job
London
Edition 2.00TSI emerald :mrgreen: green, DSG, 4x4 virtual pedal which does not work :cry: , travel assist, rear view camera, adaptive cruise control, front and rear parking sensors, spare wheel :D

Return to “Main Skoda Kodiaq chat”